Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good gamepad for pc games?

Options
  • 29-05-2003 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know a good game pad for PC Games, for games like Splinter Cell etc. Although not for Splinter Cell itself, just got the demo and i think it sucks ass. same old crap...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best gamepad for the PC is the old style microsoft sidewinder (the bulky black one). It has plenty of buttons and ther old version allows you to plug 4 up which is great for emulators. The new version is slightly inferior because it is usb but doesn't have the connect feature. Your best bet for new games like splinter cell is to get a converter that allows you to use a PS dual shock or N64 controller on the PC. Better for new games but stick with sidewinder for emulators. I've no links for the converters for other joypads. Some one should post a link up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

why would you want a gamepad for SC when you have mouse support? :confused:

Logitech Wingman Rumble Pad. under €35 on Komplett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

thrustmaster dual power
    i got it a year ago and its still sweet for me, its just like a ps2 controller only better, it has a proper d-pad and feels very comfortable to hold, unlike the ps2 controller
    its probably cheap now since i got it so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

if ya can get your hands on one, get the cool adapter for the ps2 dual shock joypad. the connector plugs into a usb port and you connect up the joypad. they're brilliant because that joypad is perfect for a load of stuff. i havent seen them about the place tho, youll surely find one on the net or in england somehwere :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

ohhhhhhhhh mama that is so cool. Thanks a million for that link and the information lads. Its appreciated.

PS: are there any other games that are like Splinter Cell in the sense that you need a proper pad to play them? I dont want to get splinter cell although i might now since i can get a proper controller hooked up to it.

Cos i know i wont need a ps2 control for Doom III or other fsp's so what ya think?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

id go with Aragorn, get yourself one of them ps2 ones, you can even make it yourself, but youre better off getting a usb ps2 one.
    I have a psone one, printer port, doesnt work with xp. i dont use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Logitech and Gravis and the likes put in good efforts, but you just can't beat console pads.

Adaptertacular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Originally posted by Kaimera
    why would you want a gamepad for SC when you have mouse support? :confused:

Exactly ! :confused::confused:
    Jeez, this country :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Kaimera

Logitech Wingman Rumble Pad. under €35 on Komplett

this seems like a great pad but the d-pad is a very poor design and broke a few months after i got it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by tuxx
    this seems like a great pad but the d-pad is a very poor design and broke a few months after i got it :(

same thing happened to me with M$ sidewinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yeah, grab a PlayStation pad adapter, that's by far your best bet.

That said, I think Blaze do a PC/USB version of their PS2 pad, which is fantastic - it's got a little microswitched thumbstick on it instead of a D-Pad (same as the Neo Geo Pocket Color, if anyone remembers that), which makes it fantastic for beat 'em ups. It's the secret to my repeated triumphs over my housemate in Guilty Gear XX :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Be careful of that rockfire from peats.
    I got one and can't reprogram the buttons.
    Sometime you press the R3 by accident and it pauses a game or takes you to a menu.
    If you re-program the buttons you could avoid this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

What is it like controlling your average FPS with a PS pad insted of a mouse?
    Better or worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

much worse the mouse is alot more accurate for aiming

Advertisement