Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CS and download limit

• 29-05-2003 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi.

Does playing counterstrike use up much of my 4gig DL limit,

How many meg's would two hours playing use up :confused:

Taking into account I'm dead most of the time :D

cranoo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

just download Dumeter. It has a great little utility called Stopwatch. You can start it before you start playing CS, once your finished, click stop. Do a bit of maths and you have your answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Games don't transfer much data so you should be fine playing cs, it's all about pings you know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well what would a game really tranfere a small bit of data on what your doing and it will get info on what the other players are doing

esat im going with 5 gigs should be no problum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Depends a lot on the game and the netcode, games like BF1942 with 40+ players in the server is gonna make a fair dent in your limit. CS was designed to be used by 56k's (well ish) and therefore doesnt use a lot (or so id imagine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Yeah you'd be under cap in the short term but most of the newer games use up a hell of a lot more bandwidth especially mmorpgs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

well I have D_U meter and last night for two hours playing CS I used 45 mb's of bandwith me hopes this is wrong :p

cranoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

So if you played CS for two hours a night for 30 days you would use 1.3GB of your cap. Two hours a night is 1/3 of your allowed usage. :rolleyes:

This my friends is why the cap is such complete and total ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

/me pats my uncapped broadband.

'That'll do ibb, that'll do...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

This is just to show the futility of getting capped broadband if your a downloader. I'm on 56k, and as i'm with NTL i get completely free dialup at weekends only. Heres what i pull down every month:

download.jpg

I played both Ultima Online and Asheron's Call 2 for a combined total of 16hrs yesterday (don't ask) and used.........
    wait for it....
    100megs.
    I don't know how you could have done 45 in two hours especially for an older game like CS, I think you might have read the figures off wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Is that accounted for in the cap though? I was under the impression and have been told that the amount downloaded won't be taken into account for games, just file downloads, or is this completely incorrect :o
    cus if it is I don't want my capped bb :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by TacT
    Is that accounted for in the cap though? I was under the impression and have been told that the amount downloaded won't be taken into account for games, just file downloads, or is this completely incorrect :o
    cus if it is I don't want my capped bb :(

It's on all downloaded traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

im surprised u used 45megs for 2 hours of cs, this seems very high. I mean even on 128k ISDN on BF i use half that for 2 hrs. Now ok i know ISDN != (R)ADSL but still.

You sure you didnt have a dload going in the background? :)

well, when i run cs, it takes up practically ALL my bandwidth, so doing some quick math 4k/sec*60secs in a min*60 mins an hour= about 14mb's an hour. so chewing up 22.5 an hour seems much to much, as that would make it unplayable on 56k as a 56k CANNOT sustain that rate of information transfer

Maybe he has the connection type sent to dsl on the multiplayer screen so the server sends him loads more data then it would on 56k. Try setting it to 56k, pings should stay the same but you won't have as much data thrown at you.

that doesn't really make sense, cos i have often set connection type to cable (instead of 56k) and i don't lag out due to "extra info" being thrown at me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wow 16 hours playing a role playing game for only 100 megs .................. thats not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

broadband on cs ie. 512k connection racks in on average 30mb per hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Originally posted by Sloth
    I played both Ultima Online and Asheron's Call 2 for a combined total of 16hrs yesterday (don't ask) and used.........
    wait for it....
    100megs.
    I don't know how you could have done 45 in two hours especially for an older game like CS, I think you might have read the figures off wrong.

This is totally an accurate reading. In an MMORPG you aren't getting to the millisecond updates on exactly what 20+ other players in the game are doing at a rate that must maintain total accuracy in order to preserve realism. Add in every bullet, grenade, door, hostage and the fact that every player has their own custom sprays which have to be spread to everyone on the server, the game requires 4-5k/s on a DSL connection.

4.5*60*60=16.2MB/hr.

16.2*30 = 486MB/mth for an hour a day of CS.

gg eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I want DSL just for GAmes, I play around at most 20 hours a week, (does being on Gamespy use up ur Cap). So i think eircom will cut the cake for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Drop down your rates is CS => less data being transferred per second (use that for praccys) then ramp it up to full for clan matches etc. when you need smoother gameplay.
    Christ, ye'd swear alot of ye never used networked apps before...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭imalwayshappy

yeh lads im on a capped service i play day of defeat and it chews through ur mb's i lost 2mb getting into a server to play dod it made me cry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

oldposts.jpg

Advertisement