Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commander Riker to direct new Superman movie??

• 29-05-2003 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

A bit old, but just found this:
    Star Trek: The Next Generation's Jonathan Frakes is said to be in discussions to helm an upcoming big-screen Superman film for Warner Bros.

According to Zorin, a source who claims to work on the set of Frakes' Thunderbirds currently shooting in London, the actor-director has had several meetings with Warner executives about possibly directing the new Superman feature. "From what I can gather Warners want to film a large majority of their Superman movie here at Pinewood," wrote Zorin at Superhero Hype (via Coming Soon).

The source added that Frakes had planned a rest after Thunderbirds and may not be eager to direct another big studio movie so soon.

Frakes directed several episodes of The Next Generation, on which he played Commander Riker, before helming the features Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection. He also directed Clockstoppers and numerous television episodes, including installments of Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Roswell and Diagnosis Murder.

The new Superman film was originally planned as a Tim Burton project but he left when production stalled. Numerous actors from Angel's David Boreanaz to That '70s Show's Ashton Kutcher have been rumored to have been tapped to play the titular hero but no one has been cast.

Smallville executive producer Al Gough told TV Guide this week that his show has been asked to avoid certain storylines that might overlap with the upcoming film.
    Source: www.trektoday.com

More on directors, Timberlake to play lead, Hulk Hogan as Lex Luthor?:
    The Superman bits keep coming in, whether or not they are accurate is another story. Warner Bros. still hasn't said anything about the film after director Brett Ratner dropped out, but here is 'R-max' with possible word on what's going on...

First time scooper, but a veteran visitor to your sight (cool as hell btw). Just another slice of info for you guys about Superman, again from over here in the U.K., were Warner Brothers are locked in negotiations with three of the studios {Pinewood, Elstree, Shepperton} to sort out an ideal time to start filming the movie, once a director is found. I am in the industry and can reveal that Jon Peters has been meeting with Directors in London to find an ideal replacement for Brett Ratner, and list is down to three names, Jonathon Frakes {as leaked to you guys last week}, Stephen Hopkins {Currently filming a Peter Sellers biopic in London} and Kevin Reynolds (Robin Hood Prince of thieves/Waterworld)]. Out of the three Hopkins is the dead cert favourite because he shares a Richard Donner flavoured, Warner favoured and Peters ignored vision on were to take Superman. I can guess that something will get to the trades pretty soon.

Hopefully we'll hear more on this soon. And the bizarre casting news continues. Yesterday it was Justin Timberlake saying he may be up for the lead role, now here's 'Scotty' with another one...

Just for your information I went last night to the new Matrix film and while I was waiting I was reading the newest issue of "Tribute" magazine (Canada). While viewing it they had a interview with Terry Bollea (Hulk Hogan). He said he was approached by the director of the new "Superman" film and asked if he would be interested in playing a bad guy, probably a Kryptonian bad guy.
    Source: www.superherohype.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Justin Timberlake & Hulk Hogan ffs they can't act thats got to be the worst idea Warner Bros ever came up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

From Dark Horizons:

Jonathan Frakes' Next: So why isn't "Thunderbirds" helmer Jonathan Frakes doing the new "Superman"? Seems that with all the tying of his name to the project, no-one actually went up and asked him. 'Dennis' got to speak with him for his community radio station SW19 2BT in the UK recently and asked him about it - "No one asked me. Of course, I'd be interested. Who wouldn't, it's Superman? I've a lot of faith in this movie, I hear the scripts great and I've suggested some of colleagues try out for the roles there". Frakes also indicated Trek is over - "I'd love to do more Star Trek - But I think that's it. Paramount has no plans on using the next gen from here on in. Didnt make enough money last time round", and commented on the possibility of a "Roswell" movie - "At the moment I think Jason (Katims) is trying to iron out some details to see they can be released on DVD. I think the plan is, if the show finds extended life on home video and DVD, the movie version I know he so dearly wants to do - might have a chance...When we do the movie, it'll be everything back together - Jason, Brendan, Katy, Bill...It'll be a stand-alone movie that anyone can come to see and enjoy on its own merits, whether you watched the series or not".

Advertisement