Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony losing their minds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

looks pretty sweet to me. Pity i already have a PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

As Kutaragi explained, the "X" in PSX represents not only the "extreme" evolution of PS2 technology the system symbolizes, but also its position as a "crossover" console between games and consumer accessories.

I hate marketing babble.

I'm assume the development of the ps3 is still going ahead and that this is just another cash cow for sony to suckle from while MS make loss on their X-box hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

apparently sony aren't doing too well in their other divisions so they are putting the ps2 in there to try to milk its success into their tv, dvd and whatever else markets

sounds weak to me, but they say it won't hold up ps3 development, personally i think they could use a new name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Playstation is an extremely powerful brand and they'd be mad to get rid of it. Although marketing worries aside I'm pretty sick of the name too and would like to see a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

why is the ps3 even coming out ? what land mark games did ps2 provide besides a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mmmmm brushed magnesium alloy mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Placebo:
    It provided the landmark game of the generation in the shape of GTAIII. Neither the GameCube nor the XBox can boast a game of such huge importance as GTA. I could count the truly classic games available on both on one hand, whereas the PS2, like it or not, has played host to some hugely innovative games.

(Gawd, I'm sounding like a real Playstation weenie lately)

On topic: A good move. I want one, more than I want the Panasonic Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well yeah i suppose, do u think ps3 will provide something much better ? or will we recieve stuff similar to ps2 just brushed up.
    My friend was saying that game makers will go to a certain extent, they will hardly spend endless amounts of time to make every pixel clear even though it possible, ps2 hasnt even gone online yet here :(
    i heard ps2 had 2 graphic cards ? do we even need a ps3 ? are the games going to be using/need such a hardware ?

sorry for going off topic but i guess PSX and PS3 are closley related and this PSX is going to be costly but who will buy it if the ps3 comes out soon ?

well yeah i suppose, do u think ps3 will provide something much better ? or will we recieve stuff similar to ps2 just brushed up.

By in large, the games we receive will be similar to what we've played before. But each hardware cycle also makes some things that were previously impossible possible.
    My friend was saying that game makers will go to a certain extent, they will hardly spend endless amounts of time to make every pixel clear even though it possible

Well yes. It's as much an issue of time, money and apathy as it is number-crunching and polygon-pushing. Graphics will improve a lot more, but the biggest noticable differences will probably be seen in things like bump-mapping, real time lighting and shadow, as well as all the currently popular physics stuff.
    i heard ps2 had 2 graphic cards ? do we even need a ps3 ? are the games going to be using/need such a hardware ?

PS2 has two processors, as far as I know. I'm liable to be wrong on that though.

Yes, we do need a PS3. There will come a point were the PS2's limits will be reached and when that time comes, gamers are going to want to take it up a notch.
    sorry for going off topic but i guess PSX and PS3 are closley related and this PSX is going to be costly but who will buy it if the ps3 comes out soon ?

PS3 is at least a good two years away from Japan yet, never mind Europe. As for who'll buy it? Well, aside from it being a PS2, it's a superb sounding home entertainment device. Many people will look at the other features first, and just consider the PS2 playing capabilities as an added bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Was'nt the original called the PSX too? ...i kinda remember the mags referring it to as the "PSX".

• Advertisement

It was the codename used when in development (even back as for as the SNES add-on days), I think. The magazines just latched onto it because PS didn't sound right and there was no PS2 to have a PS1. I believe Sony frowned upon its usage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Seems to me that the psx is a development by sony to cash in on the fact that many people buy xboxen and chip them to be used as a set top box. it will be a _very_ high end peice of kit though aimed at those people who have the cash to spend on those ever so nice but short lived plasma screen tvs and such. It apparently will not be a SCEI product but a Sony Electroincs one.

its bloody beautiful though.

Originally posted by Placebo

console gamers do need a ps3
    in graphics terms the ps2 has been subpar for some time, out of the consoles it has the worst graphics
    and will graphics need such hardware? take a look at the other consoles and the geforce fx 5900 and radeon 9800, superior hardware is already being used, so sony have to catch up, but with current sales figures they don't need to rush

will movie quality graphics ever happen though?

discostu, what is this xboxen set top box you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

will movie quality graphics ever happen though?

Yes, i believe so, every generation of hardware brings us a step closer. Just think how much has been achieved and advances made in the last 5 years alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

The PSX seems to be shaping up as a very versatile electronic device that happens to play PS games more than anything. It has a tivo which is pretty cool, among shyte loads of other things. I have a ps2, i might sell it and invest in this gizmatronic when it arrives here......if it ever will

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

its kind of odd that sony would plan to release something like this in 2004, only a year before the estimated release of ps3, as it could easily damage sales of the latter. also, that in less than a month the ps2 is being re-released at the same price as now, with a free modem. its also quieter and has (cough) better video quality when playing dvds. thats 3 major releases in as many years which is a lot to ask from gamers financially. and then theres the psp (playstation portable) trying to move in on gba territory planned for release at the same time as ps3.
    it'll be interesting to see how it pans out for sony. they have a major fanbase, in america alone there are 16.8 million ps2's, compared to 5 million x-box's and 3.8 million gamecubes. thats a very impressive figure, but considering how much money sony have been losing recently due to poor sales of tv's, this could turn out to be make or break for them. success could mean almost total domination of the non-pc video games industry, but surely that will be next...
    of course i hate playstations, gta is the only good thing on them, and its recently been proven in scientific studies that its approximately 8.2 million times better on pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

It's because of Microsoft's intentions regarding the home entertainment setup. I am *not* refferring to the "Home Station" debacle that PC Gamer had last year. Microsoft are likely in the next 12-18 months to fling some sort of X-Box-with-HD-DVDR-settop on the market to make a pre-emptive (typical yanks) strike. COnsoles are acceptable now by even almost non-gamers and gamers alike.

Sony are just anticipating the next big thing. I for one would recommend to non-techy friends or family that the best solution would be something like a PS2-in-a-box that could do web, DVD bruning, etc., . Makes sense that this will be a big market in 2 years time.

Some googling:
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techreviews/games/2001/11/30/xbox-plans.htm#more
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134455927_xbox17.html

MS would never be happy with a 3 million installed base versus 60 million PS2s and 80 million PS1s or so. They *must* own....world.....

Time to throw out the CD-TV then.........

As to the name PSX- the original PlaySTation was the Sony CDROM addon for the SNES. Then it became know as PlayStation-X when Sony started to do their own thing when N decided to fcuk the CDROM and concentrate on teasing SGI back in 1992-3.

its recently been proven in scientific studies that its approximately 8.2 million times better on pc.

YES, but what it the computer is a 64mhz 28mb RAM running on Windows 3.11??

:p j/k...they're some interesting facts :)

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

stop posting in white or silver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

id get one if money allows, it looks shiithot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Originally posted by eyerer
    discostu, what is this xboxen set top box you speak of?

I believe DiscoStu is referring to the plural of Xbox. An Xbox with a modchip fitted goes some way to fulfilling the living room 'media centre' concept Billy Gates has been hammering about for some years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Another frickin' console.
    I don't care that it has DVDr capabilities or what-not it's basically just another console.
    IMO it'll take up space by your TV for a year before they bring out the *superbly* named PS3 and it'll then be, probaly, thirdrate because MS and Nintendo arn't gonna just sit on their rears and watch this happen.
    I've never owned a PS but I've had ample opportunity to play on them and I have to say I was never impressed and I never missed not having one. I always found it unresponsive and slow. The N64 was faster and better than the PS1 and the GC is faster and better than the PS2 (I'm staying away from the X-Box cos I don't know jack 'bout it)
    The PS2 could play DVDs. *Great* :rolleyes: The only problem with that is it's super loud. *WHOOOOOOSSSSSHHH* "What did he say?", "Don't know, couldn't hear it!" :p
    The console companys ask too much of us these days. How many years did the NES last? Or the Megadrive? It wasn't a bare 3 years!
    What the console makers should do is release a console that's upgradable like a PC. You can then get better performance from your system with out having to buy a new console which renders your previous games unplayable on this new system (thanks GC).
    In fact they should all turn to making PCs. Small mini-itx type ones like the shuttles that are geared toward LANs. They could still offer their controller ports and you could either use the Keyboard mouse config!
    In fact make me a developer I'll take the world in a whole new direction :p

Whoa! Sorry about the big rant :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by Raz
    (I'm staying away from the X-Box cos I don't know jack 'bout it)

dis the x-box too it'll make you feel better,
    go on say it......its shiit.....its ugly......its microsoft.............

What the console makers should do is release a console that's upgradable like a PC. You can then get better performance from your system with out having to buy a new console which renders your previous games unplayable on this new system (thanks GC).
    In fact they should all turn to making PCs. Small mini-itx type ones like the shuttles that are geared toward LANs. They could still offer their controller ports and you could either use the Keyboard mouse config!

get your p.c. (I presume you have one) spray it purple/black and refer to it as a game cube/x-box/ps2 everything bar the "small mini-itx type " problem sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

What the console makers should do is release a console that's upgradable like a PC. You can then get better performance from your system with out having to buy a new console which renders your previous games unplayable on this new system

Yeah that's a GREAT idea. Let's make consoles that are upgradeable so that console games suffer the same compatability and driver problems that PC games do!

And while we're at it, let's ignore the fact that buying a new console will cost you less than upgrading to a top of the line graphics card in your PC anyway.

Stop WHINGING. You don't like consoles, that's your perogative, but claiming that we should make them like PCs is an utterly backwards statement. There's a hell of a lot to be said for a system where you just plug in the power, put in a disc and play the god damned game :)

Stop Posting in white or silver

Why? i'm just tryin to be a little creative & different

P.s. It's white not silver

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I don't play many console games. Really - I only play one - Mario Tennis on the N64. I'm pretty anti-console really....but only for me. If you like them, then good for you.

Having clarified my position, I'd say I fully agree with Shinji. Consoles are relatively cheap (compared to a PC) and even if you only have a 3-year lifespan, thats a hell of a lot of value for money. The fact that the console you bought 3 years ago will play that new title every bit as well as the console your mate bought yesterday is a massive value-add to that. There's no way they should follow the PC format....it would be suicide.

That PSX looks sweet though. I would guess Sony's target is not chiefly the people who have PS2s, so they won't be too sad if you decide not to give them your dosh for it.

As for the timing with PS3...if its a generational leap like PS1 to PS2 is, I think everyone will be drooling over the prettiness, and the fact that they may have shelled out a few hundred for a PSX the year before is probably going to be the last thing on their minds. It'll still be a cheaper upgrade than a new processor, gfx card, and possibly mobo on a pc, and it'll last a hell of a lot longer.

I dunno how accurate his claim is that PS2 was a key player in making the DVD format popular is (Shinji? Anyone?) but this is a really smart way of getting new tech into the market on a proven "carrier" platform IMHO. Unfortunately, I'm also slightly worried that with a set-top tuner, and CD-R, they will also use this as a start to introducing some sort of DRM format onto the DVD-Rs so they wont be seen as "helping" the pirates. But thats a conspiracy theory for another day and another thread.

jc

Why? i'm just tryin to be a little creative & different

Here's why - because it means people using most of the skins for the board can't read your text.... Check out the attached image to see what it looks like in the default skin.

That PSX looks sweet though. I would guess Sony's target is not chiefly the people who have PS2s, so they won't be too sad if you decide not to give them your dosh for it.

Exactly. It's a stealth console, designed to get the PlayStation brand and technology into living rooms where previously you'd never have seen one of Darth Vader's ubiquitous toasters.
    I dunno how accurate his claim is that PS2 was a key player in making the DVD format popular is

Not very. But the DVD format certainly helped to make the PS2 popular - DVD players were very expensive in Japan when the PS2 arrived, and in fact the PS2 was one of the cheapest ones you could buy at the time. Sony had terrible trouble initially because their tie ratio (number of software units sold per hardware unit) was about 0.4:1 - at a console launch you'd expect it to be at LEAST 2:1, more likely 3:1. Transpires that everyone was buying The Matrix on DVD instead of PS2 software titles...

This didn't really happen in the US or Europe because by the time we got the PS2, DVD players were a lot cheaper. Tie ratio at launch here was about 2.5:1 as I recall.

Originally posted by ozpass
    I believe DiscoStu is referring to the plural of Xbox. An Xbox with a modchip fitted goes some way to fulfilling the living room 'media centre' concept Billy Gates has been hammering about for some years now.

can it do anything a pc can't? (obviously xbox live)

i figured we were getting closer to movie like graphics but it does seem unlikely they're gonna make every pixel perfect or the like
    lets make it happen anyway, it'd be so sweet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

No it can't do anything a PC can't, with the exception of being designed to fit into the living room environment. I know that there are PC's that can do this also but a console is designed from the offset with this in mind.

Advertisement