Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircon ad......can this go on?

Options
  • 29-05-2003 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

Did anyone see the new ad on RTE for broadband offering unlimited internet access???

<collins>

un·lim·it·ed ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-lm-td) adj.

1 Having no restrictions or controls
    2 Having or seeming to have no boundaries; infinite
    3 Without qualification or exception; absolute

We all know here they are simply using false advertising.....

Does "Terms and conditions apply" mean "We can promise whatever we like and then screw you"

Looks like it....arrogant pricks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I haven't seen the ad but if it is misleading it should be reported to the ASAI.

Details on how to complain is here.

Eircom used to be a regular on their Complaints Bulletins but seem to have fallen off lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Ive seen that ad its pathetic.Its been going a while now.
    They have always flaunted it as unlimited access though, on their website etc. then I rang them and got a big shock when I heard about the cap.
    That kind of advertising is just low.:ninja: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

eircom decided to send me a Broadband advertising CD today for some reason...

Some interesting untruths on it...ignoring the plain silly stuff like how i can play games 'faster' using broadband (CS at 350fps, perhaps)

What the F is the 'minimum spec' to use broadband Bull$***...

P11 233Mhz, 32MB Ram 100MB available disk space. Win98SE!!! or higher.

So my linux P200 box will blow up the internet, huh???

Also could someone tell me if eircom are allowed to tell me that for multiple PCs I need i-stream enhanced (for more money?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Now i dont mean to sound like an Eircom monkey but its misleading not untrue.

You do have unlimited access. You can log on whenever you want and just sit there looking at the connection monitor thingy. (or whatever DSL has)

You can play games faster (at least some). 1) Your pings should be better than 56k on even an interleaved dsl line. (in most cases) A lot of games Frames Per Second are dependant on the amount of information you can receive. You get more information, your FPS rises. eg UT at 5000netspeed i get around 90fps, with it at 10000 i near the 200 mark and so forth. Now the game isnt techincally faster i guess but it does feel like it.

That said i havent seen the ad and no doubt its a disgrace.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by MadsL

Also could someone tell me if eircom are allowed to tell me that for multiple PCs I need i-stream enhanced (for more money?)

Sure, they can tell you that, but it is our job in IOFFL to tell everyone the truth, you can use multiple PCs with any bb product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just as a update to this. I complained to the ASAI about the radio version of the Eircom ad and they have sent me a report with the Secretariats recommendation, it has been labelled confidential but if Dave or any other member of the IOFFL committee wants a copy let me know and I can fax/post it to them. Once they are confirmed by the ASAI Complaints Committee they will be published.

It appears from the report that "the campaign had generated an exceptionally large number of complaints". :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So my linux P200 box will blow up the internet, huh???

*sigh*. It's the minimum spec that they will _support_. No one said anything about it blowing up the internet...
    And yes they're allowed to say you can only use it on one pc, that's what the product is for, and that's why they give you a usb dsl modem, not a router which you get with enhanced...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by eth0_
    *sigh*. It's the minimum spec that they will _support_. No one said anything about it blowing up the internet...
    And yes they're allowed to say you can only use it on one pc, that's what the product is for, and that's why they give you a usb dsl modem, not a router which you get with enhanced...

Exactly!
    It would be logistical nightmare for a company like Esat, Eircom etc to do Linux tech support.

Fine it might work on your Linux box, but all there going to do is give you the settings.
    If you don't know how to set them up, then you shouldn't be using Linux!

I for one have no problem with a company doing this...and I believe people here also think the same.

Again true, once they give you a connection they can "say" its limited to one PC, but of course you can network it.
    There is'ent any kind of secret Eircom software on your PC that that stops this..
    Pfft!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eircom decided to send me a Broadband advertising CD today for some reason...

They have to have a "min" spec.

Otherwise you'll have complete muppets trying to order Broadband for a P90 with 24MB Ram or something stupid like that!

As for Windows98SE, yeah NOTHING wrong with this, depending on the setup (modem being used) Win98SE has the proper files to connect, where as Win98 does not!
    And a company does not need aload of irates from stupid people

Even if the DSL service they provide is ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wertyl

I rang about adsl and apparently I cannot get it because my line test fails. No explanation and no other option offered. Then you see their ad - it does not state anything of availability depending on line etc. That is false advertising in my eyes. And besides I was told I could install a new phone line without any guarantee that it would work. Why cant they just provide the service of installing a line that is suitable for adsl - it shouldn't be to hard to send an engineer out who knows what he is doing. As it is now it all depends on the way the line is installed as well - so if I get a bad technician then I could pay for having 100 lines installed and still fail the line test......Worst service EVER. Completely useless. My family back in Denmark all have adsl - even my grandmother....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Cabaal
    They have to have a "min" spec.

Otherwise you'll have complete muppets trying to order Broadband for a P90 with 24MB Ram or something stupid like that!
    This was probably the typical spec when broadband first came out around 8 years ago in the US at higher speeds than Eircom are offering today!

Not that I would recommend such a machine considering the bloated apps of today, but if I was forced to use a P90 for some reason, I would still get broadband over dial-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

tbh, broadband on a 233 is nasty, the PC cannot display the graphics as fast as they are downloaded. in windoze neway, havent tried the net on my 200 linux box tbh

Advertisement