Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom RADSL istream 'starter' offer

Options
  • 29-05-2003 10:52pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I noticed when looking at this offer that it has two packages, one is a usb modem package and one is an ethernet modem package. Does one have to buy these modems off eircom or can you procure them on your own and tell them to fork off I just want the adsl line and that is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

yes you can tell em to feck,
    it will probabily take a little bit of arguing on your part,
    but COMREG has directed that Eircom can not force you to buy their modems ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

€ircon insist you buy the modem. If your line has got the thumbs up, go with Netsource, or Esat/IOL when they're ready, and choose your own modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I think Ive read that it is illegal for them to force you to buy the modem off them and besides the price is absolutely ridiculous for the ethernet modem:eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    I noticed when looking at this offer that it has two packages, one is a usb modem package and one is an ethernet modem package. Does one have to buy these modems off eircom or can you procure them on your own and tell them to fork off I just want the adsl line and that is all.

No you don't have to take their equipment, if they try to make you take it, ask for the sales persons name and then threaten to report them to ComReg, quickest way to shut them up.

You can get the same gear much cheaper off the net.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

if they try to make you take it, ask for the sales persons name and then threaten to report them to ComReg

Don't threaten to report them, go ahead and do it. Tell them you're going to do it. If they're not actually breaking the law, they're breaking their licence agreement with ComReg, and they damned well know it. Screw them, take their jobs; lying scumbags like that don't deserve a job anyway.

In other news, I had my first Eircom tosser at the door the other day, and he was just pa-thetic.
    "So you're with Esat, is it?" says he.
    "No no," says I, "I'm with UTV."
    "Oh, UTV is it?" (Surprise, with a soupcon of curiosity, then feigned disinterest, then honesty...)
    "Well, there's not a lot I can do for you so."
    "No, there isn't."
    "Tell me, have you thought about broadband at all, it's..."
    "I have, I can't get it. Because of you guys. Shouldn't you know this?"
    "Oh, I see."
    "Upgrade my exchange and you'll have me." (Outright lie.)
    "Ah, ok. Well, I'll leave you to it so."
    "Yeah, whatever."
    Like I said, pa-thetic. I was actually so shocked at his outright admission that they can't improve on UTV, he put me on the back foot, so if that was his intention, more power to him. But I doubt it.

He was so pathetic I dashed into the living room, blacked up the mammy, and sent her out to tell him that she was PRINCESS LATIFAH MBEKE, SOLE HEIR TO THE THRONE OF KING NBUTO OF NIGERIA AND BEARER BONDS TO THE VALUE OF SIXTY (60) MILLION DOLLARS. He's calling around again next week. We're going to INCREASE THE SIZE of his PENIS, help him LOSE WEIGHT and send him on a FREE HOLIDAY TO FLORIDA too.

Ok, I made the last bit up, but the rest of it is god's honest.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Cheers for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

You aren't going to take the eircom package are you? Netsource or the IOL Broadband (due real soon now) packages are better. Netsource is unlimited in cap but more expensive. IOL have a slightly larger cap than eircom and are cheaper than eircom (they'll even lend you a usb modem if you don't want to get your own modem). As far as I can see there is no reason to go with eircom.

Ooops I forgot. The nice person in eircom explained why we should go with them when she rang to try and sell me i-stream. They're regulated.

Seriously. Go with one of the others, eircom aren't even trying to compete

Advertisement