Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two stone in eight weeks?

• 30-05-2003 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    I found out recently that I need to lose weight rapidly (due to rugby reasons), in brief, around two stone in eight weeks. I'm 6'2, about 21st 12lbs (140kg), with a reasonable level of fitness. Not too sure what the bodyfat is, but last time I checked it was around the 21% mark. Does anyone know if its possible to lose this much weight in that timeframe? What sort of exercise is the best to shift the flab? Any diet recommendations?
    Bear in mind I'm willing to do whatever it takes, and I'd like to hear from anyone who could help...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

DO the protein shake thing, but only for around 4 weeks or otherwise it'll fuxor your kidneys. Basically start the protein shake diet and start working out like hell. You'll drop the flab fast like you need but it'll take a lot of work then to maintain it.

A stone is 6.35 kilos, so you are looking to drop basically 13 kilos if we are not too pedantic.
    1g of fat = 9 kCal.

So you are looking at 13000g to lose * 9 kCal = 117,000 kCal to lose.

Now as you know this is just maths so isn't really like the real world, but it still says that you are looking to lose over 60 days roughly 120,000 calories, which is 2000 a day, or basically close enough to the total recommended daily amount of calorie intake. The only way to do it is to actually do something insane like protein diets or else liposuction.

You'll easily drop a stone in 4 weeks with the protein diet and doing some heavy weights, but I am not an expert and overall it wouldn't be healthy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[SG]BGA

I'm not just crash dieting, I'm combining a diet with running, around 4 miles per day. I'm wondering if just following a low fat, low carbs diet in conjunction with the exercise will be sufficient to remove the weight in two months. The reason I need to lose it btw is to be considered for a contract. Without losing the weight I won't be....so it's pretty important.
    Thanks for the advice so far guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I'm combining a diet with running, around 4 miles per day. I'm wondering if just following a low fat, low carbs diet in conjunction with the exercise will be sufficient to remove the weight in two months

Then your approach is fairly sound. As you said if you need a specific weight for a contract, then go for it. Your height, weight and bf indicate you could easily lose more than this amount of weight, but the speed at which you drop it and the manner is more the problem.

Your best bet is to focus solely on cross cardio training - mix the running with a bit of rowing to maintain some upper body strength. Adjust your training to long low intensity programs. On the rower (concept 2 at setting 6) maybe 40-50mins at 17-20 strokes p.m. Dave is better placed to advise on the running.

Is there simply an official weigh in time for this? If so closer to the day you *could* purge your system and do a 24 hour fast to help if you were borderline. I knew a few boxers who would do this (thankfully super heavys have no limits), but they only did it if their match was on another day. If it's a case of weigh in and a trial session afterwards, forget it.

It's not the best approach, but it won't cause any long term harm, and it can make the difference for borderline cases.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

There's good advice on this thread from people who know what they're talking about, but regardless - go and talk to a doctor. Losing two stone in eight weeks is NOT a healthy, sustainable weight loss, and you could damage yourself doing it. If you're healthy and in generally good shape you'll probably be fine, but taking a couple of hours to go and get checked over by a GP beforehand (with special focus on your kidneys - make sure he knows what you're trying to do and runs a fairly decent set of blood tests) could save you a lot of health issues a bit later.

Basic "healthy" recommendation for weightloss is 2lb a week. That's fairly rapid loss, if you can sustain that over an extended period you're doing damn well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

1lb a week is the healthy way to go, but if you have to do it fast do it smart, drink plenty of water, 4 miles a day isnt enough, try 7 a day.

I have a fight on the 21st June and I will be coming from 79kgs to 71kgs for the weight in....

paddy

Advertisement