Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource and Dlink 504 settings?

Options
  • 30-05-2003 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK a friend got Netsource yesterday and has the Dlink 504 router. I would like to know what he needs to set it up.. i heard its easy but he cant get it working and i want to be sure of the reason as i want the same combo myself.

Here is the situation. He has it all wired up. It was manual install. He put in his details from Netsource into the web based router setup. pap did not work but chap did (netsource told him to try that instead). When i say work.. it connects on the router in the web based setup, gives him his IP address etc.

On the router he has a solid green ADSL light and sometimes the ACT light flashes. Also i think it was the source light? Anyway that constantly flashes green. Manual says it does that after its connected.

Anyway it all seems well but he cant do anything! I tried pinging some sites and IP's outside but no response. I can ping 127.0.0.1 and also his own IP address provided by netsource (this is only set in the router, not his network card which is 192.0.0.1 for router setup). I cant ping Netsources DNS server if i remember right. Anyway any ideas? I preferably want those who have netsource and this router set up to tell me what they did. If its all simple and in other words, has been done and its still not working.. could it be wiring even though he has the signal and when he connects through router interface it works? Also does he need to setup a network connection to netsource too? He tried that but it did not work. Using XP by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

This is the only config I had to do to get it working (see attached)

This morning I was getting some errors trying to connect, so maybe it was just that? It's up and running again now.

The flashing lights on the front of my router seem to match yours.

In the router control panel, select "Maintenance" from the left navbar, and then "Event log" and see if it lists any problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

I had the same problem. Reset the router to defaults. Then modify the default PVC entry with your own details and apply it. Make sure CHAP is used as PAP doesn't work with D-Link and Netsource. This worked straight away for me. Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah that all looks right to me... Chap works and he gets connected down the bottom like in the screenie.

So why cant he get anything outside? Once that says connected down the bottom he does not need to use a connect option in XP does he? I would not think so but just to be sure.

Also should he enter his IP address etc in one of the other screens in the config? I think he did that in the router config, entered his IP from netsource so maybe thats it? Might need to be auto. Should his LAN be set to auto assign too?

Considering the lights and the fact it says connected.. combined with the fact that if we change the username to something thats obviously wrong (even taking off @netsource.ie) and it says auth failed... then it seems it is in fact working.. but "could" there still be a cabling problem? He has like me, got Eircom phone watch (i heard of probs) and also off his master box (upstairs by computer) he has a cable off it going downstairs. He tried disconnecting but got no signal at all so we left it with the lights on and able to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

The screen I attached is the only stuff I have to change at all. My LAN config is server assigned ip address/etc , though static should work fine.

Netsource gave me a DNS server ip address AFAIR on one of my letters/welcome pack, I did NOT put this in anywhere if thats what you're asking?

Under "Configuration" -> "Proxy DNS" you could set "Proxy DNS" to "enabled", check the "Get DNS IP automatically" checkbox (which should grey out the IP address boxes) and click OK.

Don't know if this will help, but..
    I am using the d-link dsl 504 with eircoms i stream starter.
    I had the same problems and ended up ringing the d-link UK help line which patched me through to a call centre in Copenhagen i think it was.

Anyhow we discovered that in the configuration menu NAT was disabled and the guy said ..oh enable that.
    Apparently it should be enabled going out of the factory but some weren't.
    Then I saved the changes and rebooted, checked that Nat was still enabled and low and behold I had an ip address and gateway :)
    So I typed in www.boards.ie and there it was like lightning :)
    Different problem maybe, but shur check and see.
    mm

• Advertisement

Will get him to try if he has no fixed it with netsource when i get home tonight.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

its NAT that is the problem. Only enable that, NOT DMZ on the same screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

sure the gateway is set properly?
    double check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i had the same problem, still do some times. Make sure your computer's Default gateway is the routers Lan IP. Try pinging from your computer the static IP you were given from netsource.

I set my Lan computers to have static IP's with DG as the router and DNS servers 194.125.133.10 and 194.125.133.11

When this problem happens to me, I go into Msdos and type: ping 194.125.133.10 -t

I get a few request timed out, but eventually it sorts itself out. i think its a netsource problem to be honest as the last time I had this problem, I could ping 212.17.32.97 (which means I was getting as far as netsource's internal network), the ping packet would not go any further, hence the request timed out to 194.125.133.10)

tell you what, download (Ping Plotter), make sure there is no firewall on your PC, and set it to ping 194.125.133.10 and see how far the packet goes. You'll see if your router is the problem or netsource is the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yep, NAT is the problem as said earlier.
    I had exact problem that was described with my router unable to ping the outside world. Also a factory reset helps before enabling NAT.
    Anyway, is it fixed yet ? :)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.. all fixed... i was goingo suggest to him that he do reset.. but when i got there he was online.. he had done that himself and when he entered the settings again it was fine.. methinks it was because pap did not work and when he set it chap it should have worked but router was not working with it right so factory default and chap from beginning fixed it seems.

he got pings of 37ms to clarity.jolt.co.uk
    was actually higher to boards.ie and ws 50 odd i think :rolleyes:

Anyway i want.. hope i get the same resulults :D

Advertisement