Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technical diving community in Ireland

• 30-05-2003 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm wondering if there is a large technical diving community in ireland. There doesn't seem to be all that many places to actually go to for technical diving instruction> It took myslef and my buddy about 3 months to organise a simple IANTD course...and saying that we had to go to Cork to get it done(we're based in Dublin).

So whats the story. Do you guys/gals have tech courses done, do you do deep/deco dives regularly. Is it on air/trimix/open circuit/closed circuit? Are you with TDI/IANTD/Padi/CMAS(CFT)? (i say PADI since they indeed have a rebreather course on their list but i don't think anyone in ireland teach it). Also where is the best places to get the deep stuff in. I know baltimore is a good spot with the kwoloon bridge and the U-Boat (both in 35-42m) but is there anywhere else that will drop you in a bit of depth for some cracker dives. Also kilmore quay in wexford have some deep dives but i'm not sure if mat is still running a boat - it might be bring your own...can someone fill me in on this? I remember Trinity dive club were doing some deeper training - but they might have brough their own rib.

One more thing - has anyone read http://www.operationdeadlight.co.uk - some nice looking dives there and a good story to go with. The mvsalutay is chartered for the dives (http://www.mvsalutay.co.uk/). Looks like a good boat to dive from. Also a TDI centre if i'm not mistaken.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

If any tech divers DO finally manage to reply to this thread, while you're replying could you also let us know were you get things like bungee cord (not surgical tubing from your local A&E)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

How much bungee cord do you want? I know you can by it from off road motor-biking shops. Where you'd find one of those, however, is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I'd need about 3 metres maybe.

This would be (for myself and my buddy) for:
    1. Streamlining lowpressure inflator
    2. Creating 'necklace' for 2nd reg
    3. Attaching accessories like lights etc.
    4. Maybe doing some or all of these a second time after messing up the first try
    5. Mouth guard on Stage bottles
    6. Anything else that comes up

An instructor had his rig nicel setup and the DIR guys have some nice ideas (I'm not DIR btw, don't know if we want to open up that can of worms yet do we????).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

IF your looking for tecHie types talk to "Atlantic Divers/SAC".
    They are a sister club of DUSAC/"Trinity SAC"... Both clubs are BSAC clubs. I dived with one of the Atlantic Divers. The nutter was training to dive the Lusitainna...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The Lusitania huh....now theres a dive i wouldn't mind sinking my teeth into. 90meters and change. A trimix dive i should say.

Its a pity that technical diving isn't as big in Ireland as it is in the UK. Its virtually unheard of to have people diving trimix in Ireland, well unheard of to me anyway.

Lusitania......maybe next season i think...oh wait nope...back to college which means i'm broke for a year. Bugger, season after.

(Sacapa flow T:-7 days, whoo!!:p :p )

• Advertisement

on the Luisitania again... I met a diver bout two weeks ago who claims to and everyone backs up. that He dropped on to the Lusitania Chimney at 70 odd meters on AIR for about a minute.
    ffs

And why would u be wanting to dive in trimix... Do u want to die?
    Can I have your gear when they recover your body?
    :D

As for techie diving here vs the UK. Its because we have the Atlantic which is much much better than the UKs cold cold lakes. They all get top kit because they need it to survive a 15m dive :)

I just did the dive plan on ProPlanner and it only gave a 1 minute stop at 6m.

I certainly wouldn't do it. 1minute on the wreck would be no fun. Although now the guy can say that he's done the lusitania on air...a mighty fine pub speil.

Originally posted by Peace
    I just did the dive plan on ProPlanner and it only gave a 1 minute stop at 6m.

I certainly wouldn't do it. 1minute on the wreck would be no fun. Although now the guy can say that he's done the lusitania on air...a mighty fine pub speil.

No.. its true..
    I know how hard it is to believe but its ture..
    "Surely he would die from the o2 pp..."
    Reply... "I didn't did I??"

No.. its true..
    I know how hard it is to believe but its ture..
    "Surely he would die from the o2 pp..."
    Reply... "I didn't did I??"

I'm not doubting it...

PPO2 at 70m is 1.68. Not much past what IANTD recommend (well outline) for resting decomression (PPO2 of 1.6). Also when at that PPO2 you have 45 minutes until the CNS O2 turns you into a twitching ball.

I've read articles about deep air diving. Its possible. Read this:
    http://www.saudidiving.com/deep-air.htm
    It'll help you sleep at night :eek:

Expandin the TOR of the thread....

Is anyone out there inrterested in technical diving?

• Advertisement
Advertisement