Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Spider Awards

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

jmcc wrote:
    Here they go with the utterly unbiased promotion where they claim that the industry does give a damn:
    http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9554255.html

This is one of the best quotes:
    "While the previous events have been a success, Business & Finance in association with the Department of Communications believe that a greater focus on the business community is essential to ensure value for sponsors and greater relevance for the awards itself."

Just who do these nobodies think that they are and why do they think that they are part of our industry? The Golden Spiders is just an advertising scam. It has the characteristics of a 419er scam where the 'winners' are left with a dodgy bit of kitsch and a depleted bank account. The suckers who don't pay enough (no award sponsorship) don't even get that tacky golden spider.

And the "judges" - they ruminate like some gang of deposed dot.bomb nobodies and relevancy wannabes wondering why it is not 1999. Would you seriously pay the entry fee for your site to be included in the Golden Spiders? Could you live down the embarrassment of having been associated with such a dodgy event? Maybe it is time for the Irish internet industry to relaunch its own awards.

Regards...jmcc

If memory serves Devore was one of their judges :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

cgarvey wrote:
    October 15th according to the URL you posted.. was that just updated recently, or something? Or have I completely missed something!!

.cg

y'know i was kinda tired......

Unless they updated after I e-mailed them the query last night, cos I could have sworn the information wasn't on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gizzard wrote:
    If memory serves Devore was one of their judges :D
    Was - past tense. :) Look at the current bunch and tell me why they should be there. Even the awards entry form is a very dodgy piece of work and yet one of the main players from the webdev agency that developed the site is on the panel because the webdev agency did the website. All the reasons I gave earlier for inclusion on the panel seem valid. Perhaps the Golden Spiders should be referred to as the Golden 419ers. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

irlhost wrote:
    Hi

You think the red email address is a bit mad?
    I did it to make the address standout, but you know what it's like when you look at the same thing for a long time. What colour should it be? BLACK?

The white background again was to make the pixs standout? Should I make it clear?

I think the red doesn't sit well on that background - I'd suggest white as with the contact number and address.

I'd make the pictures clear, maybe leaving the white in the circles there (that should make em stand out. Will just make the site look more integrated.

You've done a fantastic job, I'd love to make site like that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I sent a mail to info@goldenspiders.ie asking the following:-
    I am trying to find out whether valid HTML/CSS coding and cross browser compatibility is*included in the judging process for the Golden Spider Awards.

The reply I just recieved was:-
    Thanks for expressing an interest in this years awards. These criteria are not specifically judged by our team of judges but are encompassed into all aspects of the criteria which you can find in more detail on the site.

Comments?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    I sent a mail to info@goldenspiders.ie asking the following:-
    I am trying to find out whether valid HTML/CSS coding and cross browser compatibility is*included in the judging process for the Golden Spider Awards.

The reply I just recieved was:-
    Thanks for expressing an interest in this years awards. These criteria are not specifically judged by our team of judges but are encompassed into all aspects of the criteria which you can find in more detail on the site.

Comments?
    Yeah. Apart from the obvious illiteracy, it is clear that the Golden Spiders is nothing less than a 419er operation. The 'judges' probably never heard of CSS. That "encompassed into" really grates. Perhaps these people should invest in a dictionary. Though it could just be a form e-mail reply by some office flunky who knows how to use e-mail.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How does one get tickets to attend?
    Wouldn't it be fun if all of us went and expressed our opinions on awards night Evil%20Smile.gif - we could also get to rub shoulders with the "finalists and winners of the Golden Spider Awards [who in the last 7 years] have proven to be Internet leaders" :rolleyes:

I was just trying to remember who the Internet Leaders that the Golden 419ers [1] refer to on the website. I think that local.ie (protal that seems to have disappeared when nobody was looking) and Gerry McGovern (The Nuan Thought Leader) won something. It would be interesting to do an analysis of the past "Internet Leaders" to see what happened to them and where they are now.

Regards...jmcc
    [1] Golden Spiders is just like a 419er op - asking for money for nothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

screw it - i'm going to enter StatCounter for the "Best International Web Site" Judges will look for design in an international context -- e.g. ability to attract business overseas by multi Lingual, multi cultural communication and/or foreign exchange facilities

Does over 1 billion hits a month get me anything :)

Or how about being a Google Pagerank 10 :) - I've got a feeling I might have to explain to some judges what pagerank means.

200,000 members from 180 countries worldwide.

800 new members joing each day.

over 1,000 upgraded members from 20 countries worldwide from Saudia Arabai to Japan to Austrlia to Brazil to United States to Europe :)

Think I have a shot? Anyone know how to enter? Or more to the point anyone know of a IIA member I can get to enter me? I can send them E100.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I'll try and make the site multi-lingual before the judges get at it as well :)

That should look good.

Anyone got translation skills let me know :)

http://my.statcounter.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2122

And if anyone is a member of IIA and willing to nominate StatCounter please get in touch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Biggest load of rubbish I've seen in ages!

jmcc - you've summed it up very nicely

Advertisement