Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worse than Crack Cocaine

Options
  • 30-05-2003 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

What the most addictive game ever?

You know, your sitting in your room at 4.45 in the morning lights out, door locked and headphone on full blast and you gotta get up for work at 6.30 but you just gonna have one more go, just to see what the next level is like and then your bloody alarm clock goes off.
    Happen once r twice

I know I am trying to cut down on Day of Defeat but finding it flippin hard,
    I read a lot in the day so I dont fancy dat at nite and TV sucks compared to online shinanigans

Hidden and Dangerous also sucked a few months outta my life.

Gran Turismo when it first came out- remeber your first game?!

and PONG when I was a nipper
    Frogger, Elite, Ace on the SX Spectrum.......happy days

If you spend 2 years of your life ( or summfink like that) on the toilet the how many hours in you life you spend playing games ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

all the gran turismos especially the second mmmmmm renault espace f1

all the gta's especially 3 and vice city

golden eye

zelda at the mo

command and conquer red alert

q2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Current CM3 game, time played: 15 days 23hrs 32mins

Yes thats right ive spent nearly 16 days out of the last year and a half(thats roughly 500 days) playing CM

= not healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

I'd say there was nearly a year there, when I spent my days working, playing Half-life mods and sleeping.......roll on HL2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

Deus Ex, nicely timed to coincide with leaving cert in '01. bastards.

Roll on DX2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Final Fantasy VII was of course the big one :)
    Stayed up all sorts of hours playing that.

I remember spending an unhealthy amount of time with Mario All Stars aswell.

Infact, when I was a kid, I just played 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

time seems to warp,
    I look back at the amount of time I spent playing (lots) in me puff and then realise that when I'm actually playing I dont even notice 5 hours- zap gone:p

Computer games and time perception, I m sure theres a link somewhere between them....

oh yeah,

Jet Set Willy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Lots of em :)

Final Fantasy 7 was the most notable.

Its Morrowind these days.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

gran turismo
    vice city (both)
    Final Fantasy VII
    Deux Ex

Oh and Command & Conquer esecially RedAlert 1 when it came out. I even had it on the playstation heh heh.

Tiberian Sun for playing on the net.

Fifa97 Road to World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy X
    and.... Civilisation 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i played mario 64 for nearly 9 hours straight when i got it, which wasn't healthy

thief 2 is my current distraction and the reason i wont go get a job for the summer

and when i was about 7 i too fell victim to the great jet set willy, it was about cleaning or something, right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mario kart on the snes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Horse

CivII and CM, lost a few weekends to those 2

ah can't believe i almost forgot,

Resident Evil now that was a fu<king game!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Oh... god.

Mario 3.
    Doom 2.
    Any LucasArts point n' clicker.
    Tie Fighter.
    Ultima 7 <used to commonly spend 7 hours at it then take a half hour break and go back for more>
    BG2.
    Chronotrigger.
    Sonic 2.
    Settlers.
    oh hell, too many to mention...

But yeah... I dunno how much of my life was games. But it'd be a hell of a lot more than 2 years already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say Final Fantasy VII for ruining my leaving cert. There was also metroid Prime non stoip for 1 week when it came out cos I had 3 weeks off college before work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Earliest was probly Zelda A link to the past on the SNES and after that Donkey Kong country

On the PSone the great Final Fantasy VII

and on PC:once spent 22 hours playing a game, settlers 3 i think. took breaks from that though so it doesnt really count.

dungeon keeper. I remember sitting up playing it with me ol man(yup he plays games) till 6:30ish then getting up going golfing at 8(needless to say our golf was ****e)

spent ages on imperium galactica, starcraft and the Baldurs gate games also

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Civ, Sensi soccer, Dune2, Frontier Elite, Indy Jones Fate of Atlantis - mostly because it took so long to load anything on an Amiga (swap in disk 1, disk 10, disk 1, disk2, disk 4 - whey! indy moves onto a new screen!).

Since the pc, C&C redalert, more civ(3), Tie Fighter, Quake online, Broken Sword, Ceasar 3, Commandos 2, Shogun Total War...

You know what? theres a common theme here, most of these games just take bloody ages to have one go. Its not necessarily that they were the best EVAR games or anything, just very very time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Oh god... I forgot Civ... and CivII.. and <mutters into silence>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

mp3s on headphones + talking bout something interesting on irc and maybe looking at the odd site or two = hours flying by for me :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Ask anyone who knows me. I play constantly, all night.

I have an alternative to sleep at night. I sleep in skool/work insted. I dose me no harm.

Usually I start a new game of Parasite Eve 2 or Other great PS1 square game and complete it within the week.

Or I just play any new games I have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Age of Empires 2. I didnt play daily but one night i sat down and decided it would be interesting to try my skillz against a real opponent.

Cue 8 hours of long hard battling. I think i lost, was do dazed at that stage.

Sonic the hedgehog on sega "mastersystem", played for about 10 hours a day for 1 week over summer. The system stopped it was so hot on a number of occasions. 94 was a hot one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

CM.

Half Life.

Deus Ex.

AvP skirmish at 2.00am. *shudders* skary.

BF1942 & DC. dont see the tyme fly by.

[edit] Earlier days...MeGaMan on the NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

oh my god. the civilization games beat the bejesus out of everything (although champ manager is somewhere in between civ and everything else) for addictiveness. It's that feeling of "oh, i'll just see what happens next turn... oh look, it's 1am. I'll just see what happens next turn... oh, it's 7am" that you just don't get with any other game.

Lots of people have mentioned RPGs and stuff, but they can't compare at all. there's only so many times you can play a story-based game. Civ is open-ended and different each time you play it. It's not the sort of game you crave playing, but if you start a game, you can be sure to kiss the rest of the day goodbye.

And though it doesn't appeal to everyone, those who like it have lost countless days to it. i even know someone who had a stroke because he stayed up til 5am every morning playing it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Well there are many-Half life,both baldurs gate games and both icewind dales and now neverwinter nights,deus ex,almost all final fantasy games,c&c one and red alert.Commandos made me play just to see if I could beat it,by the end of most sessions I believed i was some kind of burly Oirish commando,god i love games!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

counter-strike and metroid prime

i bought civ2 once and some little knacker stole it (probally for his playstation) before i could play it. GRRRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Super mario world (snes)
    Super mario Kart (snes)
    Street fighter 2 turbo (snes)
    Mortal Kombat 3 (snes)
    CounterStrike (pc)
    gta1 (pc)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

At the mo it's Rise of Nations. It's a cross between Civilization and Age of Empires. I ended up playing it until sometime around 1-2am for the last two nights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

the first game to steal my life was the legend of mir 2
    and now,planetside looks set to do it again...
    CM4 of course,fills up the "nothing better to do" slots of my life..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Half Life + MODs.........
    Civ3...........
    BF1942 + DC.............
    Baldurs Gate 2............

Oh whoops, theres 2 years of my life gone :eek:

Advertisement