Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windsurfing

Options
  • 30-05-2003 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    recently i became intrested in learning how to windsurf,having a lake nearby to practice on.
    so does anyone know the best way to start windsurfing?
    where can i go to learn how to?

because of anglers over-running the lake (Loughrea lake, Galway) there is no sailing club,no boat house and no watersports anymore.

i have an Alpha 105 slamon board (my older brother used to windsurf,but he's not around to give me lessons atm)

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ian Grady

Hi,
    I have the same problem with this you're best chance is to visit www.bestkiteboarding.ie they are set up in Athlone of all places hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

First things first. Get lessons. Proper lessons, by a qualified instructor. Even if your brother was around I'd say don't listen to him (unless he's an instuctor)
    I can recommed Surfdock in Dublin, also the Rusheen Bay Windsurfing in Galway, and Jamie Knox in Castlegregory. Also in Achill Island there's Gareth Allen (Wind wise I think is the name of his company) and there's Uisce in Belmullet. Take your pick and get a course of lessons. Seriously. you will go nowhere without them, except to the dump to get rid of your board.

Secondly I'm not familiar with that board, I'd suspect it's quite old as Alpha are no longer around. You're going to be very frustrated trying to learn on it, as modern beginner is much lighter and easier to handle. It SOUNDS like it's got 105 litres of volume, which is very very little for a beginner, unless you're very small. (put it this way - every kilo you weigh displaces a litre of water. Add a wetsuit, a wet sail, and if you're anywhere near 80Kg of body weight then that board is underwater. you want to be learning on something with at least 130-140 litres, and preferably a dagger/centre board, so that you will find it easier to get back to where you started (your instructor will tell you all about this).

Windsurfing IS a great sport, and I don't want to frighten you off. However if you do go it alone, and on the inappropriate kit, you will walk away from it and never come back. Trust me.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
    Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

kenmc wrote:
    First things first. Get lessons. Proper lessons, by a qualified instructor. Even if your brother was around I'd say don't listen to him (unless he's an instuctor)
    I can recommed Surfdock in Dublin, also the Rusheen Bay Windsurfing in Galway, and Jamie Knox in Castlegregory. Also in Achill Island there's Gareth Allen (Wind wise I think is the name of his company) and there's Uisce in Belmullet. Take your pick and get a course of lessons. Seriously. you will go nowhere without them, except to the dump to get rid of your board.

Secondly I'm not familiar with that board, I'd suspect it's quite old as Alpha are no longer around. You're going to be very frustrated trying to learn on it, as modern beginner is much lighter and easier to handle. It SOUNDS like it's got 105 litres of volume, which is very very little for a beginner, unless you're very small. (put it this way - every kilo you weigh displaces a litre of water. Add a wetsuit, a wet sail, and if you're anywhere near 80Kg of body weight then that board is underwater. you want to be learning on something with at least 130-140 litres, and preferably a dagger/centre board, so that you will find it easier to get back to where you started (your instructor will tell you all about this).

Windsurfing IS a great sport, and I don't want to frighten you off. However if you do go it alone, and on the inappropriate kit, you will walk away from it and never come back. Trust me.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
    Ken

Hi ken,

Im looking to get back into windurfing. Used to be ok at it, played around with harnesses and huge sails. Are there many competitions held during the year? Ive seen some guys down on dollymount strand, is there a local club i could join. I wouldnt be a complete beginner but would be looking to buy new equipment soon and get involved competitivly. Any advice?

Cheers!
    Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

wind wise in achill or rusheen bay there booth top windsurfing center's , ule probably do the , go windsurfin sceme its the best one well ,

from a point of veiw of getting going and your progression will be faster all i can say is you wont look back

good luck :)..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hi Adrian,
    I don't know of any clubs other than the college clubs in TCD, UCD and DCU. But windsurfers are generally a friendly bunch and are happy to give info freely. Yes there are competitions regularly, I don't compete myself but I know a few people who do or did participate in the "fun fleet" of the IWA. Pop into Surfdock or Wind and Wave and ask them about getting back into competition, else head down to Dun Laoighre (seapoint), dollymount (mainly for wave sailing in dublin) or Malahide estuary and ask around.
    Hope this helps
    Ken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭mcirl2

hey,

I'm thinkin buying some kit soon. I have windsurfed a bit but im def only a beginner.

I'm looking at boards around 150-180L. however i'm not really sure what would suit me best. I'm 6'1, 88kilos.

also some people sed buying a 180L beginner board is a waste of money as you'll quickley grow out of it.

What kit would ye recommend. My budget would be around €1000-1200.

thanks

mike

Advertisement