Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB for €120 install, €30/month

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I would disagree there.

I see no ENDORSEMENT of the service.

Irishbroadband state and I quote from the PDF release:
    “Minister Dermot Ahern expressed his wish to see the delivery of affordable, always-on Internet access at the launch of Irish Broadband. I am confident that through ‘Ripwave™ we can deliver on Minister Ahern’s wishes as well as lowering prices and expanding our customer base”, said Paul Doody, Managing Director, Irish Broadband.

They are putting Aherns name in where he has NOTHING to do with it.

The fact is that this technology probably does not comform to the power limits imposed by the Irish Goverment meaning that it will not be a LOS product if they are complying with them.

Is the power output of the Navini Kit within the 100 milliwatt range allowable by ComReg?

In the USA where this technology is in use, the power limit is 40times that. So divide the 5km range they claim 40 times, and you get what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Is the 100 milliwatt limit not for consumer 802.11 devices? I dont think the Navini stuff is necessarily 802.11 - certainly it doesn't even have to use the same band:
    Our products operate in the unlicensed 2.4 GHz ISM band, or the licensed 2.3 GHz WCS, 2.5/2.6 GHz ITFS/MMDS bands, with more to come.

I believe the ComReg do issue licences that may allow higher power requirements, no?

The 100mW power limit applies to ANYTHING operating in the 2.4 licence. This is a free band, microwave ovens operate in 2.4, cordless phones, people's WLAN's at home. This stuff is well over the limit.

2.5 is for MMDS and are held by NTL and Chorus. IBB will never have a 2.5 licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

As far as i know that 100mw limit is only for unlicensed usage. An example of this is www.irishwan.org. They use wireless antenne's and 802.11 (or simliar) devices for setting up a WAN. The only reason this is possible is because they stay under 100mw. However any company/person going over this limit must get a license first, which is obviously what IBB has done.

You can't get a licence for an unlicenced band. Its a conflict of definition.

Every company selling telecoms services has to have a licence. Apart from that there are licences for the following bands:

900Mhz
    1.8 Ghz
    2.5Ghz
    3.5Ghz
    10Ghz
    11Ghz
    18Ghz
    21Ghz
    22Ghz

2.4 is licence exempt and can be used by anyone but only up to a 100mW power limit.

5.3 is licence exempt but may only be used indoors

5.8 is licence exempt but may only be used outdoors and any1 using it must register each location with ComReg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

/me has often said precisely what Stan is saying here. He is spot on here bar a lil correction about the 5.8Ghz kit, you only need to register the base stations not the CPE.

100Mw is the limit for 2.4Ghz kit. Nor may you use all the channels (chunks of bandwidth) that are available in the 2.4Ghz band in the US, you must disable them to comply.

IBB are Basic licencees in the Comreg licencing scheme.

You need a licence to apply for and hold LICENCED frequencies. So far IBB has never applied to be a licenced operator in ANY LICENCED FREQUENCY BAND on the list that Stan supplied. They have expressed interest in the 3.5Ghz band where Navini kit will operate albeit NOT the portable unit .

I suspect that IBB may have approached Chorus about some of Chorus' unused 2.5Ghz MMDS frequencies. Chorus would have to front such a a service as ''their own' and allow IBB to sell it as a white label service. This bends the rules but is possibly compliant with both their licences as things stand.

I note that IBB have corporately disapeared from Boards. This is not a bad thing :D apart from the always helpful Chaz who IS missed may I add. Come back Chaz ....

Advertisement