Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greater than 137gb Drives

• 30-05-2003 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Ok maybe someone here can clear this up for me!

I got a 160GB HD and its the only drive that i'm gonna put on my system,Skt A the bios will be able to recognise the full size.

But my question is If I'm installing Windows 2000 clean basically, when i go to partition the drive and then format it will it recogonise the whole drive or not???

If not how do i get around it!

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by xen
    If not how do i get around it!
    Check with the motherboard vendor for a BIOS update - there's nothing in the hardware that prevents access to large drives.

Other than that, you can run Linux instead of Windows. Even if your BIOS is 10 years old and can only see the first 528MB of the drive, Linux can boot from that and access the entire thing no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have used windows 2000 professional and advanced server and 169Gig drives with no worries (scsi drives) ... with service pack 3 .... the OS can handle it no worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

The motherboard BIOS will recogonise the drive.

What i mean is will i be able to partiotion,format and install windows on that drive alone?

Coz i heard you have to change the reistry in Windows to enable lba48!!

win2000 will work with large disks with a new install, I dont know what the max size of a boot partition is allowed but I have windows 2000 professional installed on one of the previously mentioned 169Gig drives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If the motherboard/bios don’t support 48bit lba then the drive will most likely fail. It happened to me 1 week after I installed a 200GB drive and I lost 100GB of data. I was able to get the most important file back but it took several months of trying every file recovery program on the net. I would strongly suggest that you check with your motherboard manufacturer before you start.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by JohnK
    I would strongly suggest that you check with your motherboard manufacturer before you start.

I agree with JohnK ....
    This information can be hard to find with some (most?) mobo makers though.. look for release notes for bios versions ... might be worth your while firing off an email to their tech support ... but this can take ages (or never) especially if the mobo manufacturer is in Asia

I didnt bother checking, just assumed it worked on my mobo (Intel dual PIII motherboard, about 4 years old) ... not running the latest bios because the frickin floppy controller is fubar (so is the freaking parallel port....:mad: )

Advertisement