Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding splitters.

Options
  • 30-05-2003 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

This is going to take some time to explain so stay with me:

I was on the ADSL trials from Eircom, starting in Dec 2001. The engineer installed the splitter on the phone socket nearest the computer. We have about 4 sockets in the house all connected to the same line.

What happens is that the line enters the house upstairs and goes through a junction box somewhere in the walls, which spilts the line 4 ways. The box was installed on one of the subsidary lines (if that is what you call them). So when i am surfing the net and someone uses one of the other three lines, the none spilt ones, the green adsl icon turns yellow and i can't use the internet.

Would i be able to move the box myself. Is it difficult to do?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

simple.

unplug your phones from the non split sockets

plug a microfilter into each of the non split sockets

plug your phones into the microfitlers now connected to the sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

mmm. yes thats actually a good solution. These are just like uk to ireland tele. plug adaptures. you just plug them in. no wiring or anything.

thanks

yep exactly. except they're microfilters.

very cheap to buy, have a few left over here, (i got two self-install packages ... don't ask ...)

any chance i could buy your spare ones from you.?

PM me.

Regards

well I've only got two spare at the moment, but I better keep them, I've yet to see if eircom will try to charge me for the order I had to cancel on about 7 different occassions over the course of two weeks.

you'd think one phonecall would do it huh? Oh no ...

if they do charge me, they may ask to get their silly little self-install back before refunding me, i've got a feeling they might be petty like that.

www.itdirect.ie have them for € 11.73

if you wait a few more days I'll be getting my next eircom bill shortly, and will find out then if i got charged. i'll sell them to you then no bother.

• Advertisement

i will get it throught itdirect.

thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

truthfully putting the microfilters on the line will probably do nothing, all they do is cut out the dsl noise off you phone line but as you have a full install that should not matter probably has more to do with internal wiring or a fault with one of the phones i would get incontact with whoever is your dsl provider and get them to look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by santalives
    truthfully putting the microfilters on the line will probably do nothing, all they do is cut out the dsl noise off you phone line but as you have a full install that should not matter probably has more to do with internal wiring or a fault with one of the phones i would get incontact with whoever is your dsl provider and get them to look into it
    I thought they protected your DSL signal from telephone noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by sikes
    This is going to take some time to explain so stay with me:

I was on the ADSL trials from Eircom, starting in Dec 2001. The engineer installed the splitter on the phone socket nearest the computer. We have about 4 sockets in the house all connected to the same line.

What happens is that the line enters the house upstairs and goes through a junction box somewhere in the walls, which spilts the line 4 ways. The box was installed on one of the subsidary lines (if that is what you call them). So when i am surfing the net and someone uses one of the other three lines, the none spilt ones, the green adsl icon turns yellow and i can't use the internet.

Would i be able to move the box myself. Is it difficult to do?

Regards

If it's not installed on the point where the phone line enters the house (i.e. if it's installed on a extention) it'll do stuff like that. Like santalives said, contact your provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

On a related note, does anyone have the wiring guide for the eircom trial splitters, I disconnected mine and reconnected it recently for bnetsource dsl and the line just won't sync, I figure the problem is liekyl in my wiring. Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Marx Computers in Fairview are doing ADSL splitters for 8 euro including VAT at the moment...

Advertisement