Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by onedmc
    The IBB Tallagh node became operational about 2 months ago and they have been testing the RipWave product for the same period of time.
    Are you testing this? Or using it in Tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Any update on the blanchardstown exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Dublin 15, Ballycoolin, please god tell me something is happening!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by deecom
    Dublin 15, Ballycoolin, please god tell me something is happening!!!!!!!

YEAH ww) ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

If this Product is sooooooo good? Then why isn’t it Country Wide yet?

OHP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think the problem is cost -- I was talking to Navini a year ago, and at the time the cost per base station was around 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Ballycoolin (D15) is up and ready for LOS testing. It does not have backhaul yet - but is ready for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

How can I apply for a Line of sight test?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Applying for a LOS test just ring them. Lovely girl will take your details.

Scary

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, so apologies in advance if it has.

There has recently been a bit of a fiasco with Netsource not having enough bandwidth (presumably) to provide their customers with, and as such some users have been throttled down to ridiculous speeds considering what they are paying.

I would like to know if IBB are operating on a similar "This-is-capless-but-you-might-get-ISDN-speed-if-you-download-too-much" basis.
    Do you rent your bandwidth from eircom also?

On the surface this looks like an excellent product and seems to be the "dream broadband service" for users.
    I'm fairly sure I'm within 3km (as the crow flies) of both 3rock and Tallaght, so this would be the ideal service for me.

Also, clarify one more thing for me, is this €120 (or half price) install the only charge apart from the monthly rental or is there another charge on top of that for the equipment?
    If there are no other charges this is the closest thing to an ideal broadband solution to come out :) .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

consider the fact that out of the 66E paid to netsource - at least 45 are fixed cost that go to eircom (for detailed figures - martin from utv did break it down in a thread)
    on top of that they have to pay for the IP traffic and their own costs
    AFAIK, IBB has the benefit that a substantially lower ammount are fixed costs so they can offer more for less

However I'd say if you plan on downloading 50+ gigs each month I doubt any ISP will allow it long-term on one of their residential packages

that said I'm going for the 8:1 service as probably you will get a better service

I would like to know if IBB are operating on a similar "This-is-capless-but-you-might-get-ISDN-speed-if-you-download-too-much" basis.
    Do you rent your bandwidth from eircom also?

NOPE - we use Cable and Wireless and peer directly with them on a Tier 1 level.

Also, clarify one more thing for me, is this €120 (or half price) install the only charge apart from the monthly rental or is there another charge on top of that for the equipment?
    If there are no other charges this is the closest thing to an ideal broadband solution to come out

There are no extra charges. The 120E is for Navini install/connection and then Half Price 149E Ex vat is for the LOS technology - no extra costs. The equipment will always belong to Irish Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Chaz, the install is quoted 149E incl Vat, mistake on your part or on the website?

Originally posted by silent
    Chaz, the install is quoted 149E incl Vat, mistake on your part or on the website?

Perhaps the web site is cached on your computer, it has always said 120E install for the Ripwave product for me. I'm looking at http://www.irishbroadband.ie/residential.html

Edit: Question for Chaz, what's the average latency to expect on Ripwave, and what's the average latency on Alverion? Assuming good reception of course.

Apologies - 149E including.

I have answered the latency quesiton in another thread for Navini.
    The guideline is 50-70 ms in ideal conditions. It is easily upset - and might spike. We have upgraded the 3 Rock backhaul today - so the pings might settle - can anyone on 3 Rock LOS or Navini confirm?

IBB doesnt guarentee latency - but you will be better off with LOS vs NON-LOS. Under ideal conditions Navini should give you a better ping than 56K dialup.

50-70ms, that's not too bad, actually sounds better than Eircom ADSL. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Chaz

Why are IBB not doing Ripwave from any mast apart from 3 Rock this year ?

Will IBB offer ripwave on 3.5Ghz if you get the licences in that band or will it remain a boutique product so you can say that you have an €30 product on your website?

M

Muck

See my reply on the other thread.

I have no idea what would happen IF we were to roll it out in 3.5Ghz - not sure about the costing, availability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Chaz quick question..Seein as the IBB offices are closed and we just realised this...

WE have a LOS test booked in for nxt monday in Rathfarnham,we wanted to get the followin installed

ISP = Irish Broadband - Wireless
    Name = residential
    Cost per month = €84.70 (vat included)
    Type = Wireless
    Speed = 1mb Symmetric Service
    Download cap = No Cap
    Ping = ?
    Contention ration = 8/1
    Install cost
    €381 (vat included)
    other stuff
    12-month contract term
    Total cost
    Per month = €84.70 (vat included)
    Install = €381 (vat included)

under you're new pricing structure is this still the price per month for 1 meg symmetric ??? as on the web site it shows that the only 1meg service you are providing is in the corperate section and it's 250 per month ..( mildy expensive for us )

can you please confirm for me How much ( includin vat ) the 1 meg is to get installed and how much per month it is.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave - I am not at the office - and being one of the Tech guys - I do not know all the pricing off by heart.

I would normally just gander over to them and ask - but will not be possible till tomrrow morning.

Pings have been explained on the boards. We do not guarentee them - however they should be good <50ms most of the time.

Here are mine on 1Mbit Package on RTE.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chaz>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=51
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=51
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 34ms

With respect to the 1Meg 1:8 package - it is still available - however we are not actively marketing or selling it. I am not sure exactly why - but this is what I was told.

As for the pricing - call the office - I do not have that info off hand. I remember the 1 Meg 1:8 is around 75E ex vat and there should be an special on the install of E149 Incl Vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Originally posted by Chaz

With respect to the 1Meg 1:8 package - it is still available - however we are not actively marketing or selling it. I am not sure exactly why - but this is what I was told.

As for the pricing - call the office - I do not have that info off hand. I remember the 1 Meg 1:8 is around 75E ex vat and there should be an special on the install of E149 Incl Vat.

thanks for the uber fast reply Chaz, it's people like u who make a company great, need i say more.

i'll give them a ring and hope 4 the best cos it was a nice package and i dont fancy droppin to 512.

thanks again

Dave

Ps. any chance ure callin round monday mornin to do me LOS test ??

Wont be me - I am busy on the high sites this month.

Thanks for the compliment.

I am sure they will allow the 1MBit package.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Thnx for the info Chaz :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Is this actually going ahead, or is it just a test to check out demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Dr4gul4
    thanks for the uber fast reply Chaz, it's people like u who make a company great, need i say more.

Its a pity the sales reps aren't as good. have emailed and rang asking if they have any dates, even rough ones for when the ripwave product will be rolled out to all their other sites (mainly the Clondalkin site) and also whether the Belmont site covers Blackrock\Monkstown. Got a standard blurb email back with no questions answered and the sales rep i talked to said she was only new and took my name and number to ring back with more info but never did.

Chaz, could ye tell me what you know about the Belmont site?
    Would appreciate it.
    Ta.

What would you like to know about the Belmont site?

It has 3 x 90 degree sector antenna. Serving from East to West basically excluding the South - South East area as this is heavy with trees close and away from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

What would you like to know about the Belmont site?
    Originally posted by Scruff

whether the Belmont site covers Blackrock\Monkstown.
    Because the 3rock and RTE transmitters dont

It has 3 x 90 degree sector antenna. Serving from East to West basically excluding the South - South East area as this is heavy with trees close and away from the site.

Where exactly is the site? I'm not familiar with south co.dublin anywhere off the dart line and the according to Maporama.com the only Belmont seems to be in Bray. Which would answer a "no" to my previous question and mean ye should get someone to update the coverage map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Scruff
    Where exactly is the site? I'm not familiar with south co.dublin anywhere off the dart line and the according to Maporama.com the only Belmont seems to be in Bray. Which would answer a "no" to my previous question and mean ye should get someone to update the coverage map.
    It is the Belmont Care Centre, Galloping Green, Stillorgan.

It is on the corner of the N11 and Newtownpark avenue.
    It is a care centre of sorts - for old aged people.

It does cover slightly towards Blackrock / Monstown - but trees are bad in the area. We clients connected in Carysfort downs and similar - if you are high enough or close enough (non los +- 1km) then you are OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

chaz,

don't suppose you can give any info on where the Ballycoolin transmitter is?

I was talking to some IBB people about it in work today and forgot to ask them :rolleyes:

Advertisement