Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

It is somewhere North of the residential area - near the business park.
    I think I will be working on that site this week - but ill try and get an adress or co-ordinates for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Unfortunately there's a million and one* business parks up that way... but if it's specifically Ballycoolin Business Park then it'll be an absolute bloody miracle if those of us down towards the general Clonee area will be able to pass LOS testing.

I live in hope, but I reckon the quest continues :(

* slight exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Ballycoolin is actually quite high up. Don't despair yet ;)

Well me LOS test is booked for next thursday morning.

All suitable appendages are now crossed....

It is in 'the ballycoolin business park' - where the ESB station/system is.

• Advertisement

ohhh mannnnnn..... :(

here chaz - how tall are your residential aerial poles?

all tall as you need
    hehe
    um
    the longest we would normally install / supply are 10 foot.

If you are willing to go thru the whole planning thing - or not - you could erect something bigger on your own if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

agh damn my substandard knowledge of local geography.....

is that ESB thingy near the end of river road by any chance?

im living right in the middle of Roselawn/Delwood/Brompton....

andrew163 - i dont know - sorry - never been to the site yet.

I know its North Eastish - from the town area.

lol that was a quick reply....thanks :)

well i think im near the top of a hill, and i THINK theres a big valley between me and ballycoolin, so i might stand a chance of getting LOS.....

worth a try anyway

thanks chaz

• Advertisement

Map.

:eek: i think theres a good chance i can get LOS to that

thanks for the map pete :)

hey don't thank me - thank the DTO

Yep

That looks about right . . . it might be in the road to the left - but that seems to be it.

The only other factor is antenna and where exactly they are planning - but as far as i have been told - there is coverage of the residential area - lets see how the LOS testing goes.

Nice utility that BTW.

There was one i used ages ago - but i think its gone or became a paysite.

Originally posted by Chaz
    as far as i have been told - there is coverage of the residential area

Unless you chaps have built a replica of the Eiffel Tower i'm not holding out much hope... according to that same DTO mapping service, my house is just under 7km from the business park.

Sob.

Is that direct distance - or walking/driving?

weelllll it's 6.9km walking

but looking at the route again, i'd say maybe it's 6km or so

Its unlikely then - but far from impossible. The antenna panning will have a lot to do with it.

I appreciate your honesty... *sob*

I have to say though... by locating up there you might be missing out on literally *thousands* of potential customers up this neck of the woods.

ah well.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by pete
    Map.

There's my road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've seen the transmitter. If you drive into Ballycoolin business park(i work there) through its main entrance, then just past the security lads gaf, then you will see this big mfer of a transmitter on the right beside the ESB station.
    Ballycoolin is on a hill above all of Blanchardstown/Clonsilla/Mulhuddart, so it should be interesting to hear how this big feckin transmitter will do. :)
    I live in Hartstown, so if i hear some nice stories i might be tempted away from Netfarce to give this a shot.

Originally posted by Rid
    big mfer of a transmitter
    big feckin transmittor

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXCELLENT.......

Question.

I've got a few friends who live on the quays. If you live RIGHT beside one of the transmitters, but dont have line of sight (ie - you have an apartment facing the Liffey, but the transmitter is behind you), could you still get a signal? These people could almost spit out their window at a transmitter, if their apartment were facing the other way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Chaz

I live approx 200 meters from the SIAC building, from my balcony I can see from front door to the roof top of the SIAC building, Is LOS testing really nessecary? (yes i'm impatient)

Earlier in this thread you mentioned a 2mbit connection, How much is a 2mbit service ?

Thanks very much, I lookforward to telling €ircom to disconnect the damn phone line.

Cheers

D

About to try a 6mbit 5.8ghz OFDM radio to 3 rock thru my bedroom window :-)

Ideally you do not want to install someone behind an antenna as you are picking up back lobe signal. So if they were lets say <250 meters - maybe - but I would not install someone on that under normal circumstances.

SAIC - yes - LOS for ALL clients. The LOS is not only for the testing of the signal etc - its also to check the install parameters to know what equipment and what time to allocate for a job.

With respect to 2 mbit - as soon as you start looking at that kinda bandwidth - you start looking at other radios and other coverage areas. I am not of the cost - but I think it was around 450E for a 2mbit link contended 4:1 .... under correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Any way to check line of sight to the Ballycoolin transmitter myself.
    I'm about 2 miles away in a relatively high location with a 15dB Planar antenna.
    Would I be able to use something to identify the Ballycoolin transmitter with the 802.11B hardware that I've got i.e using netstumbler to detect it's SSID.

Nope - IBB does not use 802.11b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Your Residential FAQ would lead me to believe that you do unless you have deployed Navini kit at the Ballycoolin site.

• Advertisement

Mmm - that FAQ is old. The last DSSS links were removed months ago.

The Alvarion 2.4GHz is FHSS - it works on the basis of 802.11b - with CDMA etc - but it is not 802.11b - it is proprietary.

Advertisement