Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

will ibb follow eircom, iol and now utv in reducing connection fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

We have already - or at least - we were of the first to have done it. Some of our fees for installs we already being changed months ago with various specials etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

EDIT - Answered this one myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Roll on Ripwave :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Right. I have just read the last few pages of this thread and I am interested in this product so I have a few questions.

First off, I live in Dublin 2 and it says on the coverage map on the site that there is a station in Merrion Square which is 200km away, am I able to get this product?

What does average contention mean? Ripwave home is 40:1 and Breeze home is 20:1, does that mean Ripwave is twice the speed?

Is it as fast as UTV, Eircom, etc.?

Is this the product that you plug a thing into your wall?

When will I be able to order it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by eireboy
    I live in Dublin 2 and it says on the coverage map on the site that there is a station in Merrion Square which is 200km away

My god, I've heard of urban sprawl, but i didn't realise there were parts of dublin 2 which are 200km from merrion square! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Balfa
    My god, I've heard of urban sprawl, but i didn't realise there were parts of dublin 2 which are 200km from merrion square! :)
    I hope your being sarcastic? Merrion Square is in Dublin 2.

Anyway, Can someone please answer my above questions?

BTW I think this product is going to be popular as there has been 12,000 views to this page since June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 l337

he was referring to the typo in your previous post

in answer to your question i asked IBB just last week if i could get ripwave in the city centre and the reply was .... that they only provide the service to the three rock area and did not know when they would be expanding... so i wouldnt hold out much hope. its a shame though because i think there woul dbe a lot of people in that area interested in it

First off, I live in Dublin 2 and it says on the coverage map on the site that there is a station in Merrion Square which is 200km away, am I able to get this product?

Possibly - depends on what size of ESB you are - and the normal LOS infringements may apply.

What does average contention mean? Ripwave home is 40:1 and Breeze home is 20:1, does that mean Ripwave is twice the speed?

It means that you share X bandwidth with 20 or 40 other persons. It simply means that the more the contention - the less likely you are to see full speed - and the minimum values or Commited Rates would be lower.

Dont know - see above. If it compares to DSL - the 8:1 package is better.

Nope - it gets installed with an antenna and cabling. Read earlier in the thread.

As soon as you like. There is coverage in the area.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Any plans on moving out towards lucan/leixlip?

• Advertisement

Not that I am aware of. If you do know of a palce taht might have a suitable highsite (mast or building) - then let me know so we can look at it.

Chaz,

I'm starting to hear of people (including me) failing the LOS test in D15 courtesy of a "big white building" that i assume is the new Blanchardstown Institute of Technology.

What are the chances of IBB installing a secondary mast out here (perhaps on the roof of the aforementioed "big white building")?

i think i already know the answer to this one...

If you already know the answer - why ask? :rolleyes:

I dont know - I can ask at the office - but I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Chaz, :)
    Im livin in Dublin 22 (neilstown) ya think it wud work for me? :)

thnx,

B

Chaz, there is a nice point on Sybill Hill, Raheny. It's a very large and tall building that I believe is an old folks home. I think there may be an aerial already on it, and it just happens to be built on a raised area (hence the name of the road). It's at a nice junction point to the areas of Raheny, Clontarf, Killester and some of Artane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

As innisfree says, that point in Raheny could well serve a number of areas on the northside of the city,
    although I reckon I'd be blocked out by the Firestation in Donagamede (which would be a great site for me, but unlikely you'd be able to stick anything on their training tower - they should have a comms mast there though.................

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'd love to know who chose the high point in Ballycoolin. So far everyone I know that has had a LOS test has failed because of one building or another in the way. My entire estate can't get it and there's a lot of potential customers. Surely there was a better option for a high point to supply Dublin 15? Any idea when you'll know about the 3.5Ghz license Chaz?

Its the 3.5 license - and as i understand - some time next month.
    As far as other sites - I am not sure the ins and outs of that site - or why it was chosen versus others. I know that the shopping center among others was looked at - and this one was settled upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I wonder would that ballycoolin transmitter reach the edge of finglas, only green fields would be obstacles...would be handy :)

the only other obstacle is the fact it's pointing the wrong way

(i asked them when they were doing my LOS test, on behalf of a fingo mate)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by eireboy
    Dublin to Belfast is only 150km - I presume you meant 200m?
    But as has been pointed out elsewhere, right now, RipWave is only available from the 3Rock transmitter.
    No, it means that IBB will provide 512k of bandwidth for every 40 customers with RipWave, or 20 customers for HomeBreeze. For comparison, the contention ration for RADSL is 48:1

(In practice, it means that at busy times you're not going to get the full 512k to yourself, but it's not usually that much of a problem).
    It's of the same order, but the latencies are higher. That means that it's not really suitable for online gaming, or Voice over IP, for example. (Latency is a measure of how long it takes a single packet to cross over the link, but remember that adding a 100ms overhead onto a 1 minute download of 3Meg will be pretty much unnoticeable, but adding 100ms onto a voice packet 30ms long will have a huge impact).
    Ripwave is a "wireless modem" about the size of a paperback book. Plug it into a power point, and if you're in range, it'll provide an instant connection for your computer. Bring it next door, and plug it in there, and it will work too (try that with with DSL!). I've tried mine out near Rochestown Avenue and near Walkinstown, and gotten a usable signal (only in an upstairs bedroom - nothing on the ground floor, but I was well out of the range that the equipment is rated for).

There's actually a battery compartment, so you can, in theory bring your laptop out to the park (the battery isn't included, and it doesn't look like it takes standard batteries, which is a bit dumb).
    You can get it now, if you live within range of the 3 Rock transmitter. (I got it a couple of weeks ago).

This is what the Ripwave Modem looks like,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

There will be no further ripwave deployments except maybe the 3.5ghz variant which is not compatible with the 3Rock kit.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Muck
    There will be no further ripwave deployments except maybe the 3.5ghz variant which is not compatible with the 3Rock kit.
    As Comregs decision on the 3.5GHz licenses will probably be known before the end of the year, it wouldn't make much sense for IBB to deploy any more 2.4GHz Ripwave before then. If IBB get a 3.5GHz licenses for Dublin, then they'll deploy 3.5GHz Ripwave gear. If they have to invest in new gear anyway to utilize the 3.5GHz spectrum, the "plug and play" simplicity of Ripwave makes it the obvious choice. (And the existing 3Rock kit will be swapped out for 3.5GHz kit, as they'll want to upgrade that site anyway to take advantage of the advertising they'd be bound to do for the rest of the Dublin market!)

Imagine coming across a folding table in your local supermarket with a laptop and a Ripwave unit, and a demonstration of "always on" broadband for €120 down and €30/month. Think you could walk away without buying it? :cool:

There will be another sector placed on Ballycoolin (D15)
    I am currently busy with coverage maps - and we will see how much of the residential area we can get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Will this be higher up and cover more residential areas?

When will it be up and when will you know more (coverage wise)?

Its mainly to cover more residential areas.
    I do not have a timescale for it - but it should be soonish.

Chaz, I didn't see a response about a Sybill Hill site. Is it a no go or will it be checked?

innisfree - been dog busy. i will pass on the information and see what comes from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I passed. Thank Christ :D

• Advertisement

innisfree - can you pass on information about that site? Do you have persons to contact there etc?

With respect to D15 - we are looking for another site to compliment the business based current site. The other issue holding us back is waiting to see how the 3.5 licensce application goes - as this changes a lot with respect to current deployment.

Advertisement