Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

With respect to D15 - we are looking for another site to compliment the business based current site.

My back garden would be good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Originally posted by pete
    My back garden would be good....

Im sure it would :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

No, really.

I'll lease you my shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

you aren't going to use any other sites in clondalkin cos i failed the los test even though i was at the most 500m away (too many trees)

If you are as little as 500m away - the signal 'should' be good enough service.

Give me your details and ill double check the readings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Originally posted by Chaz
    innisfree - can you pass on information about that site? Do you have persons to contact there etc?

Sure, it's

Little Sisters Of The Poor Nursing Home,
    Sacred Heart Residence,
    Sybil Hill,
    Raheny, Dublin 5

833 2308 and 833 2913

I'm afraid I don't know any contacts there personally. As you can guess by the title, it's partially run by an order of nuns, so go easy on them ;)

Here's a link to the road:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?savedMap=1065035023

Zoom out to see the potential area of coverage.

Our commercial manager who handles the sites was at a site way in the North today. I have mentioned this one to him - and will pass that info on.

innisfree - went site seeing today. Looked at 3 sites at the North side - including a quick peek at the one you mentioned. It was probably the best of the three - slightly overlapping another site that we are looking at near the quays.

There is much riding on the 3.5 licensing and the highsite planning is being done taking both scenarios into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

chaz - two question: what does it take to get a LOS done? the reason I ask is that I phone the office a few weeks back and they promised to get back to me (never did), over a week ago I sent an email asking for a test and call back and guess what? are you very busy at present with this?

Anyway, I'll give another go per email today. However, could you let me know the price of the residential 4:1 connection? it's 1024 symetric right? I can't find it anymore on the website, but I remember saying someone here that you can still order it even though it's not officially available

silent - we are severly behind and have recently employed more people to help get through the backlog. We have also employed more engineers to do LOS and installations to get through the waiting list of around 200 clients.

I cannot give you pricing on something like residential 1:4 as there is no such product. If you ring in - tell them you want 1Mbit at 1:4 in other words a business connection. Would you want this connection at home?

Send me your details - charl@irishbroadband.ie - and i will see what i can organise for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

thanks chaz, I was thinking that there is a backlog, though I was a bit worried as I have not recieved any reply at all
    as for the 4:1 residential - I guess I'll wait and see how the 512 8:1 is before plunking down more cach :) however I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere for 75E/month - must have been something else, nevermind

There is a 1meg service at that price - but its 1:8.

It also depends on which sector / highsite you are on - whether they will let you be connected at 1meg due to capacity planning.
    PM or mail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Thanks Chaz. Realistically, what are the prospects for this site - both whether it'll go ahead and if it'll be active anytime this year.

innisfree - ask me once we have hear about the 3.5 license - due out in the next few weeks. Minimal commitment will be given before then - but that area will be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

chaz, does the 3.5 licences have any bearing on the ripwave product. Sorry if it's dumb question , as i'm not a techy.
    thanks
    j

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by skrobe
    chaz, does the 3.5 licences have any bearing on the ripwave product. Sorry if it's dumb question , as i'm not a techy.
    thanks
    j

The engineers that did my LOS told me that if IBB get the 3.5 License they could roll out ripwave very quickly as you could, in theory, just buy the Ripwave kit in your local Game, PC World etc and go home and hook it up straight away. If this happens, it will give DSL the necessary kick in the nether regions it needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Chaz,

I take St David's CBS in Artane didn't come through .... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by LFCFan
    The engineers that did my LOS told me that if IBB get the 3.5 License they could roll out ripwave very quickly as you could, in theory, just buy the Ripwave kit in your local Game, PC World etc and go home and hook it up straight away. If this happens, it will give DSL the necessary kick in the nether regions it needs!
    For anyone who hasn't actually seen the Ripwave unit, this might be hard to believe, but it really is that simple. If you're in range of a transmitter, you simply plug it in, and plug your computer into it. If your computer has an ethernet interface, you don't even need to install any software (you need a driver for the USB version, obviously).

The only thing is that Game might not be the best place for selling it, as the pings are higher than other broadband offerings, so gamers won't be the most likely purchasers of Ripwave units. (I don't know if the higher power signal under 3.5GHz will have any impact on that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The only thing is that Game might not be the best place for selling it, as the pings are higher than other broadband offerings

I remember Chaz saying that if you have a decent signal, your pings will be in the 50-70ms range. Now considering the price, and the bandwidth available on the system, this should still be fine for gaming. Further once they are allowed higher powered signal on 3.5GHz, that should improve coverage and signal strength, thus it should at least have a positive impact on pings as well.

I think I could live with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Chass some help here would be good m8
    So we got connected the 3 rock there last week with the LOS package 1mb up 1mb down all's runnin fine speed's not great but i passed no remarks....

So then we decided to put up a firewall ( as u do )thats kuel worked perfect and it's loggin away.. now the fun part

For the last 4 days my pings have been 2000 to 2500 and above usually it's about 50 to 80 also the old firewall has been pickin up ping requests from about 2600 diff ip addres all sendin to my firewall and dats all in the space of 4 days none of the ip address keep pingin us it's about 2600 diff ip address

I'll paste some of the log file here 4 u to see

ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.249.111
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.202.212
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.203.196
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.210.174
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.234.105.195
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.232.105.60
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.97.172
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.210.46
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.204.249
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.203.242
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.203.172
    ICMP message type echo request from 62.231.97.93

needless to say this is really annoyin me seein as it's like surfin on a 28k modem at the moment

Can u help me at all

thanks

DAve

• Advertisement

Hi

I cannot do much for you - contact the support guys and speak to them.

I might sound dumb - but you are sure you virus / worm free etc? Have you tried another firewall to confirm?

The lan is virus free as symatec antivirus server is runnin 24/7 and it's linux firewall n e way .. I'tt try support but theer closed not i'll run some test and see..

what pings r u gettin on the rte mast if u ping boards.ie ???

D.

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=51
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=51
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=51
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 44ms

You should get similar results. The link between 3 Rock and RTE is a new SDH system that is idling along. So if the sector isnt too busy - pings should be semi decent at least.

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=2978ms TTL=50
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=1281ms TTL=50
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=2262ms TTL=50

Slight difference

D.

Did you contact support? What did they say?
    PM me your details so i can double check on our side.

Tis ok now chaz (thanks 4 askin n e way) im kinda puttin it down to a dodgy nic card in the firewall and 2 much runnin on the machines

just as a matter of facr i'd liek to know how the d/l work as it seems they are far from stable some time si get 6KB\s and then all of a sudden it jumps to 56KB\s

n e explanation would be kuel

D.

Theres no reason for the downloads to speed down or up that fast. The bandwidth algorithm that we use is slow - so its not from our side if you see that.

hmmms till abit strange i'll test it for a bit longer and we'll see then

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Delay tactics...

So far the Customer service with IBB has left a lot to be desired..

I realise you guys are very busy at the moment but the treatment that I've experienced from them has been pretty crap.

I got the LOS test and passed (thank the lord) the very helpful and friendly guys left me with the forms for the service and told me they'd have to be ready when the engineer arrived for installation.

Grand.

I phoned after the LOS test to book an apointment and got no response.

Then after the weekend having filled in the contact form on the website, a lady called to get my details, as they were "unable to find them" on the computer.

So Gave them all relevant stuff and was then told that someone would contact me to arrange an install date.

Then I was called again and told that I had to fill in and post the forms given by the engineers before I could b given a date for install.

(Had I have known this at the outset I would have completed the form and given it back to the engineers)

I know that you guys are busy but this sort of behavoir just pissed me off. If they'd have told me.. "were very busy we can arrange and installation in 3 weeks on the bla/of bla/2003" i'd have been very happy.

But messing about moving the goal posts has got me off on the wrong foot with IBB.

I really hope that this sort of evasive behavoir is not the norm.

D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

requested a los test five weeks age and was promised one within two weeks.
    emailed them last week and two days later there was a message on my voicemail to the efect that they would ring the following day to arrange los test.
    to date not a word.
    like yourself a definite date would be sufficient.
    its an inauspicious start.

Advertisement