Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

has anyone passed the LOS test in the littlepace area of Blanchardstown... is there any hope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

We actually got accepted in my area, but I just did a whoopsie and things aren't working now.

Basically I removed my ethernet card from the device manager, and then had windows xp automatically install it again (I was always using the default xp drivers). The card was having a little problem and I wanted to refresh it.

It may just be a coincidence, but I can't connect to the internet now, even though the cards status is 'enabled' and 'working'. All activity lights on it are flashing also.

My only conclusion is that, in the tcp/ip properties, everything is set to automatic... but I think before I removed it, there were some manual details set in.

Would anyone who's using IBB care to check their same details and let me know if everything in 'general' and 'alternate configuration' is set to automatic. If not, what are the numbers I need? (as long as it's ok to show them publically - if not pm me please). Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

afaik windows XP sets cards to use DHCP (dynamic IP address) by default, but IBB IP's are static. You'll need to get your IP off IBB and enter it manually. (Network connections > Network card > TCP/IP properties (i think.....been a while since I used XP)).

That's what I guessed, but I can't get in touch with them since it's a Sunday. I need this connection back up asap, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me and PM me the details needed in the manual settings.

I'm a bit clueless in this area, so I'm not sure what details are individual to each computer, and what are shared.

I should mention, more specifically, that I need:

IP address:
    Subnet mask:
    Default Gateway:

and if DNS is not automatic also, then:

Preferred DNS server:
    Alternate DNS server:

Many thanks in advance (and sorry if this type of request isn't allowed. Just let me know if that's the case).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

innisfree, phone IBB tech support. No one here will know the exact details you need to enter as they will be unique to you.

Ok, cheers, will do. They don't seem to be open today though so I guess there's nothing much I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

innisfree - sorry - cant help you either. Write them down next time?

Support got it sorted out no problem today :)

Just wondering what people's average download speeds are? I'm just on the edge of the 'accepted' limits, so I know mine are going to be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

any news on the 3.5ghz licence? any idea when ripwave will launch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The licenses have not been awarded yet. You may be interested in reading the following press release though, it is about the technology being rolled out in Australia, interestingly also in the 3.4-3.5ghz band (below). Interesting because I had previously only seen the technology used between 2.3 and 2.7ghz, with everything else only existing "on paper".

http://www.navini.com/pages/press/2003/pr10.07.03.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Chaz,

Had a look at the coverage maps, they look confusing !

For example, the D8 transmitter has a coverage area (in dark) but yet has different lines going out from the centre
    ie. red, green, yellow and some are broken lines and some straight !
    Which is which ?
    I'm within the red and yellow broken lines within darkened area.

Is ballycoolin transmitter live yet ?
    On map it gives coverage area but not darkened like the other maps.
    I'm in coverage distance of both maps so i'm a little curious :)

Can you explain what they mean please ?

Hi

Just back for a bit of leave :-)

Um - the dark areas are coverage - the lighter indicates no coverage. I will see if I can get them changed for easier to read maps.

The ballycoolin transmitter is live - however the map on the website is not complete - and only shows the outline of the 5km coverage area. The main coverage area is towards the South West area - basically pointing at 180 degrees as that as the centre point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Hi Chaz,
    Question for you, What about Dublin 8? I'm living pretty close to the Guinness Brewery. Would I be able to get ripwave in that area, or am i stuck on narrowband?

Basically ripwave is the only way to go for me, due to the lease agreement, i can't knock holes in the wall or anything like that ;)

Any info would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Nero.

Hi - no Navini Ripwave there. All is kind of in limbo - we still waiting to hear about 3.5Ghz licenses.

No worries, thanks for the quick reply though :)
    Nero.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Got connected to the SIAC transmitter last week....

C:\>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=53
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=53
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=53
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 37ms

Lovely ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Chaz
    Hi - no Navini Ripwave there. All is kind of in limbo - we still waiting to hear about 3.5Ghz licenses.

Any idea when you'll find out? If you do get this license, how long would it take to roll out Ripwave to existing sites? ie. Ballycoolin.

Chaz,
    I've one more question.
    For the Breeze product. Could the antenna be placed outside the window? The 4th floor apt block should be high enough.

I have to do everything i can to avoid drilling! :(
    Thanks again,
    Nero.

LFCFan - no one knows exactly when the license will be awarded. Even if we do get it - there is no certainty - not that I know of that X technology will be used. It is pretty much still in Limbo.

The antenna can be mounted anywhere - as long as it has clear LOS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

Even if we do get it - there is no certainty - not that I know of that X technology will be used.

It would be stupid not to roll out 'ripwave' if they do get the licences, they'll whip eircoms,and others, asses with it. It is €20 cheaper per month, no cap, and no installing hassel(No antenna)
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Confused.... ??

So to save me reading the 22 pages of posts - There is only a small trial of Navini stuff currently running but The Alvarion stuff is?? So what frequency is the Breeze Access kit running on ; 5/10Ghz or 2.4Ghz ISM band ?

All very confusing..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Chaz,
    If you read this at some stage can you tell me what is going on with SIAC. Last night I noticed that the DNS servers where unresponsive when I pinged them "destination host unreachable". Today I pinged them again and I got replys from both...fine :) but now the pings to google + boards.ie are about 200 - 400ms, I have emailed support about this also but if you know anything as regards this let us know will yah thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Chaz
    LFCFan - no one knows exactly when the license will be awarded.

You got it, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

yep...

Similar stuff going on here too from the SIAC transmitter.. getting average ping times of over 70 ms to IBB web servers e.g. ......

C:\>ping www.irishbroadband.ie -t

Pinging www.irishbroadband.ie [62.221.15.41] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=244ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=136ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=112ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.221.15.41: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 62.221.15.41:
    Packets: Sent = 13, Received = 13, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 244ms, Average = 76ms

Any Ideas ?

D

Ye - we got the major ones - thanks guys.
    Alvarion Breeze - 2.4, Navini - 2.4 - Alvarion VL - 5.8.
    That is onbiously subject to change - with the new frequencies - dont even ask - cos I dont know either - much will need to be decided soon on new proposed roll outs.
    Hal1 - we have been having some problems on some of the links - this might be what is affecting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Chaz,

Any ideas whats happened to the Ballycoolin trasmitter ? It was down for the last day or so, back up now but the ping times are gone to ****.

Previously when i pinged the dns i was getting >20ms, now its ->

Pinging 62.231.32.10 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=521ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=371ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=260ms TTL=59
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=351ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 62.231.32.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 260ms, Maximum = 521ms, Average = 375ms

It it going to continue like this ?

Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by mag
    Chaz,

Any ideas whats happened to the Ballycoolin trasmitter ? It was down for the last day or so, back up now but the ping times are gone to ****.

==
    ==
    ==

It it going to continue like this ?

Thanks for any info.

ring tech support?!

The backhaul link fell over last night. Its back now - but stability is not good. We are busy putting in a 34mbit PDH link today - hopefully will be completed by afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Stan, tech support claim they havent a clue whats going on................so, knowing that Chaz is a knowledgeable & helpful bloke i thought id address it to him.

Cheers Chaz, hopefully it'll be sorted, thanks for the reply :)

Advertisement