Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The amount of people on these boards alone from D15 would surely make any venture worthwhile, given that it's a well built up area, nicely industrialised, and for each person that has shown interest here there must be two or three more who would take up such a competitively priced product...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

No one has ever denied the fact that there are clients needing broadband in D!5 and many other such areas ...

High Site planning in a tedious process.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Chaz
    High Site planning in a tedious process.

We're not doubting that getting these high sites operational is a difficult and tedious task but what the people of Dublin 15 would like to know is, why are we still waiting for broadband seeing as there are a lot of high tech firms around here and a lot of built up areas? I suppose everyone in North Dublin could ask the same question. I just hope that Dublin 15 will be getting the Non LOS service 'cause €380 installation is poxy for the normal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Its unfortunate but its unlikely we shall even get the option of the Alvarion service. Despite being around 1KM away from our area the transmitter is surrounded by taller buildings.

Id pay the installation charge myself, so I can only wait and see when the transmitter is finally powered on.

Matt

LFCFan - this will simply lead to a stone throwing contest - to try and argue why D15 or any site is not up yet.

The company had to start a roll out somewhere - and go along as they can - if a company rolled out D15 first - I am sure persons in D15 would be happy - and persons in D18 would be unhappy.

• Advertisement

LFCFan - this will simply lead to a stone throwing contest - to try and argue why D15 or any site is not up yet.

The company had to start a roll out somewhere - and go along as they can - if a company rolled out D15 first - I am sure persons in D15 would be happy - and persons in D18 would be unhappy.

I guess my comments are more general in that Dublin 15 is practically overlooked by every company providing broadband despite the fact that there would be a huge customer base. And I guess my comments could be used for practically all of North Dublin. It's just frustrating at this stage in the 21st century when the rest of the world takes broadband for granted that people like us in D15 and many other parts of Ireland haven't even got access to a broadband product.

Agreed - at least there are some that are trying to rectify this ...

Agreed - at least there are some that are trying to rectify this ...

Knowing my (and others in my estate) luck when IBB are up and running in Ballycoolin we're probably not gonna be in LOS even though we're only 1 mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The company had to start a roll out somewhere - and go along as they can....

Like somewhere that already has alternative broadband/wireless products? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by kamobe
    Like somewhere that already has alternative broadband/wireless products? :rolleyes:

yes, these tend to prove existing demand to a marketing bunny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Chaz, When is testing likely to be complete and will it cover areas such as Glenageary/Sandycove?

Am close signing with Utv, but I have been put off by the 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Muck
    yes, these tend to prove existing demand to a marketing bunny!

What is with all this "bunny" crap????
    Personally i'm going with IBB ripwave, I can wait the couple months I'm guessing it'll take before it's launched in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Chaz,

I've just been told by UTV that my line didn't pass the test for broadband, so I'm wondering what my options are.........and they are bleak.....

So here is my question to you....I live in Baldoyle, beside Donaghmede (Dublin 13), are there any plans for you guys to have a service out this way at all ? somewhere like Sutton might be in range for me or maybe Clontarf at a stretch.....

any information would be much appreciated,
    cheers

Hi ... being non Irish - I do not know many of the areas off hand - but I will get to look at a map on Monday - and see if it is likely to be serviced from any of the planned sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Chaz, could you give us a probable timescale for Ripwave's rollout in Dublin City Center? I've already set the ball rolling with regards getting UTV's DSL, but if you were to tell me Ripwave would be available within 2 months, I'd cancel it, as I don't really want to be stuck paying €47.50 for 12 months if your service is available for €30.

Cheers...

Don't worry UTV, you'll still have my phone calls ;]

Unfortunately I am not in a position to tell you how long it would take for a roll out in the city centre.

The Navini testing has been completed this week - final info is awaited from Navini on the data that has been sent to them - first beta tests with live clients will commence next week most likely.

I do however think that 2 months is a bit optimistic for the system to be up and running in the city centre - as the ordering, installing and commisioning alone takes around a month.

Thanks Chaz,
    you can understand, there are more and more posts from people on the Northside of the city or the outskirts of the city where the Eircom lines are apparently not able to carry RADSL.......and that takes out all other options as everyone seems to only roll out services on the Southside.......it gets very frustrating.

as I said any info would be much appreciated,
    Stevo

NIBBS - did some online mapping searched - now I know more or less where you are ...

I am not aware of anything in your area - there is one site still in the planning stages - however I cannot name it yet as it is not signed and sealed according to my bits of info - and I do not know how far it is from where you are - I will however ask at the office Monday if the planning dude is around - he has been on leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Hey Chaz man, if you need anyone to live test ripwave around the IFSC area i am your man, will be happy to pay the 30 euro plus install even :D
    Seriously though as many other posts here i do hope you will considder very much the northside a bit more than it has been the case up till now. I know for sure the IFSC area has loads of people who would love your product since we can not possibly get LOS down here, but i am sure the same thing go for most bigger housing estates around the Northside who probably will never see anything of NTL which really is the only other well prices BB service in Ireland at the moment!

One huge question though, if this Ripwave gets the go ahead would it maybe be possible later to payer for higher speeds or will it simply not go higher?
    512 KBit is nice, but should not really be launched as a BB product, rather a high speed allways on internet connection. BB should really only be for 2 MBit and above which is starting to be the standard at leats in most Scandinavian countries now.
    Last would Irish BB ever considder the Blimb based wireless broadband or will you stop at this ripwave thingie?
    Looking forward to signing up, and yes, my phone bills will stay with UTV :D

/me watches the queues forming for info :D

Guys - there are no conspiricy theories about not rolling out in <Insert Your Commercially Viable area here> - but as mentioned in another thread - the company had to start somewhere - and as it panned out - D18 was it.

There are aggresive plans to get every viable area covered - just hang in there.

On the BB question. From what I know - anything above 128Kbit gets classed as Broadband in Ireland/UK. I personally think its a bit low - and it sounds like it was invented for Eircom and NTL to allow them 100 000 BB users - only because they have so many on a 128K circuit.

The ripwave equipment is capable of doing speeds of 2Mbit - however issues such as signal quality and noise levels become touchy when that kind of bandwidth is being spoken about.

I believe the base package will be 512K - however whether or not they will have a 1Mbit package - is still to be seen.

• Advertisement

Cheers Chaz,

I reckon you're going to hear from a lot of people, which can't be a bad thing - shows interest in the product.........knowing my luck I won't be in any available areas or it will take years to get permission for somewhere close - but there the breaks.......

inputs always welcome from you guys, it just always upsets me when I see more and more people getting connected or accepted for services and knowing there's nothing I can do about it - I know that's not your problem, it's just that being patient only lasts so long........

Stevo

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Where u based Nibbs?

I'm based in Grange Abbey in Baldoyle......

but as mentioned in another thread - the company had to start somewhere - and as it panned out - D18 was it.

That's all well and good but why start the ripwave technology somewhere that already has loads of options for broadband? Why not start if up somewhere that is starved of broadband as you would have people biting your hand off to get your service?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

So Chaz,

What Chance Clondalkin ( Dublin 22) anytime in the near future. Will it be covered by any proposed Tallagt base station or will it have one of its own.

Scary

Clondalkin is getting its own site - not sure of the time scale though - should be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what chance Cork ? would it make a difference if i said it was south Dublin (in a sense)
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i hope that we can get the new product in blancherdstown :) D15

Cork - very good.

Some basic highsite planning has already started.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

GET ORF MOI LAAAAND!

Advertisement