Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

i was driving through ballycoolin during the week, and if the transmitter is going on the roof of the building i think it is then i think it's officially time to despair... it's not that tall, and it's even further away from the bulk of housing estates than the building i thought it was going on

*cry*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I don't see why the don't stick in on the TV mast in coolmine. Its nearer to the bulk of housing.

here's a map from the DTO website

it's almost 5.3km from my house to blanchardstown corporate park, which is where the building is that i originally thought it was going on is - the one i think it actually is going on is even further away.

*sob*

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I don't see why the don't stick in on the TV mast in coolmine. Its nearer to the bulk of housing.

ermm i think that's an eircom tower

It used to be cablelink...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by pete
    here's a map from the DTO website

it's almost 5.3km from my house to blanchardstown corporate park, which is where the building is that i originally thought it was going on is - the one i think it actually is going on is even further away.

*sob*

Its right bang in the middle of ...nothing.

Get it on top of the Quinn Direct Bld in the center. Though I can't see that : (

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Well seeing as it's non line of sight you'd be ok.

and why are other companies persisting with los(or new los) products?
    non los is clearly the way to go.

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    Well seeing as it's non line of sight you'd be ok.

don't think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by pete
    don't think it is.

Actually, the new Navini based service that IBB are offering (or will be offering shortly) does not require line of sight (it is non line of sight). The existing service does require line of sight however, but this thread is about the new service, which again is non line of sight.

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Actually, the new Navini based service that IBB are offering (or will be offering shortly) does not require line of sight (it is non line of sight). The existing service does require line of sight however, but this thread is about the new service, which again is non line of sight.

sorry i should have made myself clear - i was specifically talking about the blanchardstown transmitter. To the best of my knowledge it's LOS and not Navini tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

hi chaz, will the clondalkin transmitter be los or non-los?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Not sure about Clondalkin - or any of the 'soon to be up sites'.

My guess would be LOS now - and NON LOS afterwards - simply due to the fact that there is a much bigger planning and procuring system to get the NON LOS system online.

But as I said - its my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Hi Chaz,

If Clondalkin goes LOS initially, is there a guesstimate on what time frame for non-LOS. I live in Clondalkin and IBB are the only current option of BB open to me . I don't want to fork out 300+€ for LOS installation and then a month or so later non-LOS is up and running.

Scary - I cannot dare to guess - simply as I do not know if that transmitter would even get the NON LOS equipment.

The other issue at hand - is that till ALL the data from the NON LOS trial from 3 Rock is back from the states (should be Monday/Tuesday) and management have relooked at co - locating a NON LOS and LOS system on each current base station - its still a bit up in the air whether or not each base system will have both - or if only one - which one.

The tests so far have looked good - and I personally do not see a reason to not roll it out - as for a time frame - if I had to guess - probably 3 months on the Navini equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

scary, if tallaght goes non-los most of clondalkin will probably be covered anyway.

Not most - but some of it ..

Tallaght site to the proposed Clondalkin one is around 7kms - so at least 60% will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Thanks for your replies Chaz,

I'm at the Newlands Cross end of Clondalkin, so luck holding if Tallaght goes live I might be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I am looking forward to you and NTL dingdonging the crap outta each other in the €20-30 price range.

That will finish off the stupid €ircon argument that there is no demand in Ireland for Broadband.

You are doing a good job on keeping people informed in here, keep it up.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by Memnoch
    i hope that we can get the new product in blancherdstown :) D15

YES!! DUBLIN 15!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEHEEEEEHEEEEEEEESSSSSSSE!!!!!!!!!

This area, like most of Ireland, is in the middle of a broadband famine (NOTHING except eircom, which to alot of us, means nothing at all due to cheap copper in the lines), but the only difference here is that this is a very densly populated area, theres ALOT of businesses around (the blanchardstown center for example), and virtually everyone who has dialup access (alot of people) would be VERYYYY interested in this product...........PLEASE come here, because for alot of us who can't afford DSL or our lines don't pass, you're our last hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

:eek: please, OH GOD PLEASE COME TO DUBLIN 15! WE BEG OF YOU! SAVE US FROM THE RAT! with skyrocketing DSL prices courtesy of our well-known evil 'telecom' company, you ARE our last hope :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Yes please do launch in D. 15, right now!

I really can't believe just how much temped up demand there is in our area, and nobody is able to fulfill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

I really dont understand why it would be difficult to decide whether to put up LOS versus non LOS equipment...should be pretty clear what will sell best, so only problem would be pricing which i doubt or just permisions to use what ever frequency this Navini thingie uses which sounds more likely.
    Also i gues the maybe 3 months time scale is best case scenario for south siders.
    Actually funny situation when a product is so popular even before it is launched that a company is getting heat for not beeing able to provide it fast enough, should be a dream scenario for most, but in Ireland it is just another sad truth in IT

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Actually funny situation when a product is so popular even before it is launched that a company is getting heat for not beeing able to provide it fast enough, should be a dream scenario for most, but in Ireland it is just another sad truth in IT

How true. In other countries, companies would be over the moon with the situtation we have here for demand. They would be bending over backwards to provide a service. Unfortunatly in the land of no competition companies are so used to delaying everything that the same thing is happening now. I bet IBB would be a lot quicker to roll out their service if they thought most of their potential customers were gonna be signed up by the likes of NTL. As it stands they seem more interested in providing the service in areas already serviced by broadband so they can get as many customers as possible before their rivals do. I don't think it's a coicidence that Dublin 15 is put on the long finger by everyone 'cause they know there's no rush. Who else is gonna offer us a service?

How come i almost know what chaz is going to say to the above.
    "we are doing our best, yada yada yada.....truth is that we should be breathing the same air here, rocks, houses, tree and what ever look the same as any where else so really the only thing that could possibly be holding this ripwave thing back should be the right permisions and i have not seen anyone from the industry mention this yet....
    So why is D15 with all its potential not on the BB map yet, well either by shear bad luck or maybe because all the imporatant people live far away in south Dublin and no one give a toss about anoying foreign IT supporters (like me).

I hope Chaz do not take offence by this, he have been very helpful with information and i doubt anyone is paying him for this even though i am often wrong.
    How ever what i would really like to see would be the people who actually have the final word in deciding when and where (and if) anything happens, i am sure with all the money we are all waiting to throw at these people they should not be too busy to talk to us and tell us what is happening from their side of the table like the fine People at UTV have allways been very nice to do!
    Hope IBB will see the chance and take over after UTV, or even better UTV giving us a alternative like RIpwave to RADSL
    :D ww)

I FEEL the need to comment - just got home from work - hope you guys dont mind? :-)

Firstly - Please remember - there are actually differences in the technology in the way in which the different systems work. You guys obviously want Navini - great - but the 'fixed wireless' equipment is here to stay - its serves a different market segment, costs a different amount and still has to be part of the picture.

Secondly - no - I dont get paid to do this - I do it as I enjoy giving future clients information - with as much accuracy as I know - and obviously without suppling you with Root Password on our servers. I enjoy keeping clients informed - and at least 'in the picture' on what the plans are. I do not like telling you that IBB might not cover <Insert some obscure non commercially viable place here> - but it is true. D15 at least is on the 100% on the IBB map.

So there Nitrox - my yada yada speech
    :D:D

So to answer LFCFan - and Nitrox - once again - there is no reason to think that IBB are not pro rolling out D15 <insert previous yada yada speech here>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Chaz, I'm sure you're busy in work - but I don't suppose you remembered to check for me about anything being planned to cover the area around Baldoyle/Donaghmede/Sutton/Raheny. Dublin 13 ?

if not no worries, as I said any info welcomed.....

Any word back from Navini on the trials ?

Stevo

System error, stuck in D15 loop, system shutdown iminent.....
    Point is that a lot of people on boards are from D15.....but really i would be happy if some parts of North dublin got this new thing, especially city center, ok, that was my yada yada, and nice reply there chaz.
    I know the LOS equipment is different as i know from experience that even 3 years ago speeds of 20 Mbit and above was not a problem with LOS, so i gues you can get some of the more heavy customers this way but i doubt the possible first 100K users in dublin would go for this if 30 euro Navini is a option.
    Does not matter much anyway as the things are as they are and we will just have to wait another 5 years before BB has become just another subject down the pub.

NIBBS - I was out most of the day - and the person that would know that is on leave - I will ask as I can as the week progresses - could possibly get an answer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

we will just have to wait another 5 years before BB has become just another subject down the pub

:eek: 5 years?

wow you're optimistic.................i doubt most lines will even pass DSL tests by then

• Advertisement

Andrew163 - Age of Kings - Great game - anyone up for one sometime?

Advertisement