Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

thats funny... since the FirA just HAPPENS to be an age of empires and unreal tournament clan that andrew and i are leaders in ..... ;) interested in joining? hyuk hyuk hyuk

:rolleyes: :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Quite possibly - I play both :-)

Are you guys on IRC/MSN/ICQ/AOL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by Chaz
    Andrew163 - Age of Kings - Great game - anyone up for one sometime?

any time.......just email or pm me :)

(of course, it would be alot easier to play aoe with broadband :D )

and yep im on MSN, AOL and i think i have an ICQ account somewhere.....(check ur PMs)

You have other contact method - as listed above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Chaz, thanks for that,

and just while people are banging on about why their area would be great for the introduction of broadband, there's planning permission in for an estate of 20,000 people at the bottom of my road, Clare Hall is just down the road and a lot of new estates have been built out here, so if nothing is planned get your lads to do a feasability..........
    It's one of the reasons I think Lucan is in a lot of BB plans, a new estate out there with 10,000 houses and new cable would be ideal fighting ground for ISP's..............

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by NIBBS
    Chaz, thanks for that,

and just while people are banging on about why their area would be great for the introduction of broadband, there's planning permission in for an estate of 20,000 people at the bottom of my road, Clare Hall is just down the road and a lot of new estates have been built out here, so if nothing is planned get your lads to do a feasability..........
    It's one of the reasons I think Lucan is in a lot of BB plans, a new estate out there with 10,000 houses and new cable would be ideal fighting ground for ISP's..............

Same can be said for some of the new estate around Dublin 15. Tyrrelstown for example is huge already and is continuing to grow. Nice big estate with a huge potential customer base.

So to answer LFCFan - and Nitrox - once again - there is no reason to think that IBB are not pro rolling out D15 <insert previous yada yada speech here>

We're not getting at you Chaz. Fair play for actually keeping us informed. You have to understand though that since October last year everytime we've contacted IBB about your service in Dublin 15 we've been told 2 months. Yis should be chuffed to know that whenever you do provide us with a service you'll be inundated with requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

driving through ballycoolin tonight i spotted what looked remarkably like an omni-directional antennae on a pole on the roof of the suspected building...

can anyone confirm if the hardware's been installed?

Nothing from IBB. Where exactly is it?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by pete
    driving through ballycoolin tonight i spotted what looked remarkably like an omni-directional antennae on a pole on the roof of the suspected building...

can anyone confirm if the hardware's been installed?

what building are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by LFCFan
    what building are you on about?

never mind - i was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

AFAIK, the transmitter is on the tower beside the former Tyco building is it not?

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

hi chaz, is there any news about the test results from navani?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    AFAIK, the transmitter is on the tower beside the former Tyco building is it not?

That tower has been there for years, but it ain't exactly 'tall' as there are many obstacles around it ie..like the 'tall' buildings around it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Just wondering if there was any news yet about the ripwave results? i have decided not to go with the new UTV friaco thing as i would be stuck with a new 3 month contract, then rather go with Netsource!!
    But really what would be ideal is to get ripwave by the sound of it or am i expecting too much living in the ifsc surounded by tall buildings?
    I really hope this will hit the city soon, espeially the city center :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

In case anyone is interested i managed to worm some small detail out of someone at irishbroadband about the service, apparently it will have a contention ratio of 25:1

Originally posted by Boston
    In case anyone is interested i managed to worm some small detail out of someone at irishbroadband about the service, apparently it will have a contention ratio of 25:1

Did you worm out whether it was capped or not??

Said it would be selling at the same spec as the old service except with a different contention ratio. they did however say that they where still in talks with navani or what ever they are called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Just wondering if there was any news yet about the ripwave results? i have decided not to go with the new UTV friaco thing as i would be stuck with a new 3 month contract, then rather go with Netsource!!
    But really what would be ideal is to get ripwave by the sound of it or am i expecting too much living in the ifsc surounded by tall buildings?
    I really hope this will hit the city soon, espeially the city center :D
    There isn't a hope in hell of an untested wireless broadband service coming into to existance in under three months.

• Advertisement

Hey Hey Hey!! WHo said this was untested? Just because it is new here in Ireland like most IT is really, it does not mean the rest of the world live in the same kind of dark ages, so it is not a matter of testing a new product here, just another struggle for Ireland to accept new progress...

Hi guys

I am currently on leave - hence the 'slow' response. Man - I hate dialup.

The Navini trial went well - all the tests that I had been involved in had been promising. The final results from Navini themselves were not available yet by the time I had started my leave.

I will try and call one of the guys during the week and see if there is any info - and will give it here.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Chaz I've heard things about the power output on Navini kit being out of ComReg's allowable range.

I've tried to find out from everyone (including Comreg and IBB) but noone seems to know and/or they arent telling.

So I'm asking a blunt question in public (its kinda what I do :) )

Is the power output of the Navini Kit within the 100 milliwatt range allowable by ComReg?

DeV.

Hi guys

I am currently on leave - hence the 'slow' response. Man - I hate dialup.

Hi Chaz
    Welcome back to our or at least my world, Dialup Sukx, but luckily UTV help make it a bit better.

I must admit i am impressed with your will to inform us, good job!
    Also extremely happy although not surprised that the trials went fine ww)

But before putting the hopes too high i also do wonder how this is all possible staying inside all the rules and all, but i gues you would not spend all this time testing if it did not comply.
    Have a nice holliday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Hey Hey Hey!! WHo said this was untested?
    Just because the technology has been tested doesn't mean it doesn't have to be tested in the field in every location it's going to be installed.

There's propagation and interference problems that must first be tracked down and eliminated. The topology of the area must be taken into account.

All this takes time. It's not just a case of slapping down a transmitter anywhere you want and blasting away.

Chaz....you say the mast is in Ballycoolin but you're just waiting for power. How come it's not on the coverage map then? Others like the one in Tallaght that are not activated yet are on the coverage map and just says not activated yet. Can you not add the one in Ballycoolin? I know it's a trivial thing but it would give us some indication that it might happen at some stage.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Chaz I've heard things about the power output on Navini kit being out of ComReg's allowable range.

I've tried to find out from everyone (including Comreg and IBB) but noone seems to know and/or they arent telling.

So I'm asking a blunt question in public (its kinda what I do :) )

Is the power output of the Navini Kit within the 100 milliwatt range allowable by ComReg?

DeV.

from what i've read about the service, its adjustable for the range, so the answer is, maybe. One thing is that what it operates at in the us is not allowed in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Chaz,
    Do you know if IBB have any plans to cover the Bray area? I believe a certain land owner has been approached re placing a comms mast on his property (high on Bray head) and I was just wondering...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE from what i've read about the service, its adjustable for the range, so the answer is, maybe. One thing is that what it operates at in the us is not allowed in europe

In the EU 100mW EIRP is the maximum.
    (in France some channels are only allowed at 10mW EIRP)
    It does not matter what type of link you use.

In the States and many other places you are allowed to focus the beam to get up to 4W EIRP for point-to-multipoint. That's 40 times the legal power in EU

For Point to Point links the FCC allow even higher EIRP's

"At 2.4 GHz under the new FCC Rule 15.247, the RF output power into the antenna must be reduced by 1 dB for every 3 dB that the antenna gain exceeds 6 dBi. For example, using a 4' (27 dB) dish, under the 3 for 1 rule, the excess gain is 21 dB. So, the power into the antenna must be reduced by 21/3 = 7 dB below 1 watt, or +23 dBm. "

In this example overall gain is +23dBm + 21dB = 44dBm
    44dBm = 25 Watts EIRP 250 times the EU limits...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

The thing about increasing power is that once people start increasing, the amount of noise on the band increases and it becomes more and more difficult to communicate at lower powers and you end up where you started, except with a whole lot more RF floating around.
    In an already over crowded band like the 2.4ghz band, this would only serve to make matters worse in cities at least, imo. In rural areas, however, where it is much quieter it would be of use.

Advertisement