Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Teck Im in clonskeagh. So no hope then.........Looks like im going to have to get eircom or esat...........esat I dont mind as much....pity really.......

XPthink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

XPThink - can you not get the standard fixed wireless service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hey you told me you were connected to RTE teck... now I look like a shmuck :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

teck-x5, I was wondering if perhaps you could post a quick review of your experience with ripwave so far, how usable is it and so on? I know you said you don't have any time, but a few lines would be enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

are there any news of progress with the ballicoolin (D15) location? I live about half a mile from it, I'd give my left nut ;) to be able to get affordable BB connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭teck-x5

well so far its been grand. my highest dl speed has been 60k/s that was just a test by me (dloading from ftp.esat.net) and its been pretty steady for downloads of 40k and 50k on any other servers.
    Although when its bad its bad as low as 3k/s and that lasts for hours. The connection drops now and again and the wait to get reconnected can be from a few seconds to a few hours.
    For example, Monday last at 11pm the connection dropped i watched some films till about 3:30 and it still wast connected, so i went to bed and on tues i woke up at 10 and i checked the signal and it was still disconnected, it wasnt till 1pm that day that i came back.

now about gaming, from my experience over the past week, You can forget about gaming the ping times never stays constant, ranging from 50k to 3000 on any hl/mod server and i just test q3 and ut2k3 and i get a constant ping on those servers but they are high at 300.

While reading about the "ripwave" product i found it very interesting. currently ibb only have a 3rock transmitters but once they put more up and eventually if they cover all of ireland, you can go anywhere and get a connection. theres even a battery port on the modem which is cool.

so far my feelings are in between on Ripwave. so far id recommend it to the "average internt user" :p
    But at the moment i dont see myself accepting the product after the trial.

well thats pretty much everything i can think of.

Teck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by teck-x5
    While reading about the "ripwave" product i found it very interesting. currently ibb only have a 3rock transmitters but once they put more up and eventually if they cover all of ireland, you can go anywhere and get a connection. theres even a battery port on the modem which is cool.

All of Ireland at 100Mw output, thats a whole shedload of transmitters

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm, I'm sure any issues about connection drop out and dramatically reduced speed would be ironed out after testing.

After all, you are just a tester, you are there for the product to be tested on, have issues like those you are experiencing solved.

The ADSL that I had about 7 years ago appears to be quite different to todays products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

I wrote yesterday to them, and got an answer quite quickly. They are still testing, and the Product will be available to the public within "weeks" for anyone within a 5 km circle of Three Rock.

Just as a note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by CuLT
    The ADSL that I had about 7 years ago appears to be quite different to todays products.

It is completely different,

• Advertisement

The thing is I would love to get the wireless service but I live in a rented house. Now I am totally nuts about BB but I do not know what the best option is for a rented house. I'd love to get it now but I am moving house in a month or so to Blackrock, which I believe is a BB area. As soon as I go in Im getting it. Im sick of not having the capability. Sick..........

XPTHINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Chaz,

Any updates on the Dublin 15 area transmittor?

Thank you very much.

- andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Where exactly is 3rock? I'm living in Holles Street, is that within 5km?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Its a large lump of rock overlooking the Eniskerry road between Kiltiernan and Sandyford. It has lots of masts on it including a major RTE transmitter

M.

UM - 3 Rock is not on the top of the hill, not ours anyways - its lower down.

<EDIT> - See 2 posts below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

In respect to the two new sites will you be installing the old LOS Sh.t or some nice new ripwave?

I gues i kind of know the answer but had to ask.

If Answer=LOS then go to Netsource
    If Answer=Ripwave the goto Wait :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Chaz
    UM - 3 Rock is not on the top of the hill, not ours anyways - its lower down.

With respect to D15, drum roll please .....

Starting to build the site this week, ESB power regulations might have slowed us down, but we have managed to get alternate plan and there should be no reason for delays. Equipment is on order for that which is not ex stock, so at a guess I would say end next week perhaps. There are also 2 others sites being completed at the same time (Mount Joy and St Stephens Green(Sugar Club)) so that timing is subject to change but is fairly accurate IMHO.

Once the D15 site is up, how long do you think it will be till you can start doing LOS tests?

Massive apologies guys - its not the D15 site, it is the Clondalkin site.
    Apologies once again.

The site I was reffereing to is SIAC - the site to serve Clondalkin.

The D15 site has been delayed due to new ESB regulations for power distrubution for our systems. It is expected to be 6 weeks - however difficult to nail down a date as we are depedant on planning permissions and the ESB power issue which has only been introduced in the last week or two.

Nitrox - all the current sites will get the standard fixed wireless product. Navini will only be rolled out once trials are complete, and not to every site.

Please realise, these are 2 different types of technology, with different market segments and costings. The Alvarion offering is a very decent product.

Now that Ripwave wont be available in Blackrock for sometime I'm going to have to get in a landline access. Oh well...best things come to those that wait I suppose.........Netsource I hear are good as are Esat in that area......sigh........

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chaz
    Massive apologies guys - its not the D15 site, it is the Clondalkin site.
    Apologies once again.

The site I was reffereing to is SIAC - the site to serve Clondalkin.

The D15 site has been delayed due to new ESB regulations for power distrubution for our systems. It is expected to be 6 weeks - however difficult to nail down a date as we are depedant on planning permissions and the ESB power issue which has only been introduced in the last week or two.

You Git! Us poor Aul Dublin 15 heads have been strung along for the best part of a year now by IBB(like you said above, another 6 weeks. We've been hearing 6 weeks for the past 10 months or more) and then you get our hopes up by saying it's a couple of weeks away! How come you are having so many problems with Dublin 15 that you don't seem to have had with other areas? I give up. I no longer want Broadband :mad:

haha....git....nice response! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Chaz, If your looking for another tester for the Clondalkin site ye can use my girlfriend. By "use" i of course mean strictly for the purposes of testing the BB Ripwave product, nuffin else!:)

She out of work and bored out of her brain so i'm sure she thoroughly test your service and provide in depth feedback. And i could buy a external hd case and have pseudo broadband.
    Everyone would be happy!
    except maybe for people who are sick, poor, dieing, cant get a sniff of broadband etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Originally posted by LFCFan
    You Git! Us poor Aul Dublin 15 heads have been strung along for the best part of a year now by IBB(like you said above, another 6 weeks. We've been hearing 6 weeks for the past 10 months or more) and then you get our hopes up by saying it's a couple of weeks away! How come you are having so many problems with Dublin 15 that you don't seem to have had with other areas? I give up. I no longer want Broadband :mad:

I don't get it, the fastest growing suburb in europe in 2000 (at least that's what they claimed) and no affordable (<50E/mon) uncapped broadband available here. Sad. Very sad. And I hoped that IBB will finally get it together and I could have it before end of August. Sigh. Well, the waiting continues. Hopefully it will be here before end of sept. And Chaz I understand it's tough that your hands are bound by regulations, it's not really IBB's fault, however it all makes me very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

You Git! Us poor Aul Dublin 15 heads have been strung along for the best part of a year now by IBB(like you said above, another 6 weeks.

Name calling ? :rolleyes:

There is an old saying "don't shoot the messanger because the news is bad" ....

Originally posted by MDR
    Name calling ? :rolleyes:

There is an old saying "don't shoot the messanger because the news is bad" ....

It was meant as a light hearted response with just the slightest hint of frustrated anger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by LFCFan
    It was meant as a light hearted response with just the slightest hint of frustrated anger ;)
    Save it for Saturday night in the pub or throw stones at baby seals or something. Chaz is well able to deal with criticism of the service but he doesn't have to post here you know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK the only infrastructure currently provided or guaranteed for Adamstown (10,000 Houses) is

a) one sewer pipe - 25% owned by Liamo (Septic tanks anyone ?)

b) a sixth of the minimum number of Buses the council reckon is needed (this is a trick answer - no one is guarenteeing roads for them to run on.)

c) Irishwan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I'm on the Ripwave trial also and i find it good. Pings are crap but i don't care cause i don't game. Speed i think it's good it varies but i suppose it's a trial so that's to be expected. I havn't had any down time mabey that's because i can see there base station from my window. All in all i think it fairly good so i'll be keeping it. If you've any question post em here or pm me.

• Advertisement

kapper where are you based?

Advertisement