Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Chaz,

Thanks for keeping us updated, when you talk about building the clondalkin site at SIAC will this be standard LOS or will it be built for both LOS and ripwave?

rgsd
    scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Originally posted by XPThink
    kapper where are you based?

Ballinteer

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

lucky. I hate waiting for broadband. Hate it. Its come at the worst time for me to be moving house in a month. and I cant order it until i move into my new rented house......aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Im going mad...........

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Chaz, any news on the clondalkin transmitter? has it gone up. Will it be los or non-los? Thanks for your reply in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Chaz any news at all??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The SIAC / Clondalkin transmitter is partially up. There is still some equipment on backorder to complete the site. It is being kitted out with Alvarion equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Hi Chaz
    Think most of us here is mostly or actually only interested in RipWave and what news there would be about this, might be wrong though, however it would be cool if there could be a sticky just for ripwave, i am sure the Mods would not mind this (please Mods :D )

Considering that ripwave is still only being tested off 3 Rock and even with growing amounts of clients of that mast for trial and testing - there is no current date on any other Ripwave sites - might be a empty sticky for a while :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Chaz, do you know if they are going to switch to the 3.5GHz Ripwave version when it is offered as a commercial product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Yes, there is a 3.5Ghz version lest one asks , see Here . (There wasn't when the thread started :D)

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is there any news on when this product will be released?

For those that would like to have Navini tested and brought to them for a possible install - and that fall into the 3 Rock coverage area - mail me - charl@irishbroadband.ie.

I will explain the costs and the procedure to you - and then if all is well - can do an evening installation for you at earliest convience.

We are only currently using the 2.4GHz - other frequencies are being looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Muck
    Yes, there is a 3.5Ghz version lest one asks , see Here . (There wasn't when the thread started :D)

M
    I just did a quick look around to see who is actually licensed in the 3.5GHz band and I couldn't seem to come up with anyone. From this thread, it seems that Chorus did have it, but they promptly lost it. Looking on the ComReg site, there are application forms and guidelines of how to apply here. It looks like Comreg are giving 3.5 GHz licences per base station, is that right? If so, it certainly paves the way for for RipWave technology in Ireland as it seems to have no future in the 2.4 / 2.3? GHz bands.

I think you can appreciate that even if IBB is applying or trying to get certain licenses - I would not be in a position to give this information as it is sensitive and confidential and any information that is 'leaked' could compromise business dealings.

I hope you can appreciate this so please do not ask about certain frequencies. As before - I have said that we are looking at certain frequencies and I am sure there will be some form of press release or suitable information spread as soon as there is news.

Hi Chaz,

Can you update us on the Clondalkin site at SIAC. any new on when it goes live?

Scary

We have our weekly meeting tomrrow morning - will ask then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Serbian
    I just did a quick look around to see who is actually licensed in the 3.5GHz band and I couldn't seem to come up with anyone.

Only Eircom.
    From this thread, it seems that Chorus did have it, but they promptly lost it.

Eventually after doing nothing with it for 3 years.

Looking on the ComReg site, there are application forms and guidelines of how to apply here. It looks like Comreg are giving 3.5 GHz licences per base station, is that right?

Per area of about 30km diameter or so.. There will be 4 or 5 serious applicants in Dublin for 3 areas ISTR. IBB will be looking for all three . In the north (where IBB have dropped the word Irish from their name and call themselves NTR BB instead) they lost the entire 3.5Ghz NI spectrum to Poundradio. They were also interested in a few other UK regions such as around Bristol.

If so, it certainly paves the way for for RipWave technology in Ireland as it seems to have no future in the 2.4 / 2.3? GHz bands.

It can operate with a far higher output in an exclusive band with a better quality of service.

IBB are not the only potential applicant who have their eye on Navini. Another one of the Dublin applicants is seriously interested in Navini kit too. Here, again, is a list of the likely applicants for the 3.5Ghz spectrum, the ones who expressed interest in it in March/April .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Chaz
    I think you can appreciate that even if IBB is applying or trying to get certain licenses - I would not be in a position to give this information as it is sensitive and confidential and any information that is 'leaked' could compromise business dealings.

I hope you can appreciate this so please do not ask about certain frequencies. As before - I have said that we are looking at certain frequencies and I am sure there will be some form of press release or suitable information spread as soon as there is news.

If anyone is interested, you can make a freedom of information application to obtain any documents any company submits to obtain licences

Scary,

SIAC will be up by the end of the week, with Line of Site tests able to start of it then. It will only receive backhaul a bit later as we are upgrading our existing backhaul links and that is part of the change over and it relies on changes to happen.

So in the process of where it stands - it will be ready for testing next week - this will allow waiting clients to be tested off it for Line of Site for installation soon thereafter.

Thanks Chaz,

Had the guys out last week doing a LOS test on Tallaght, it was unsucessful but they could see SIAC without any probs so should hear from them soon for LOS on SIAC

Scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Hey Chaz, sorry for just using you like this because you work in IBB (;)), but can you help me out:

I'm in LOS of the RTE transmitter, around 2km away. I heard that the installation cost is somewhere in the region of €120 with €40 a month charges, but from previous threads it seems that it's €320 plus €48 a month, can you verify which is correct? Thanks!

If I placed an order today, how long would it take to be installed?

Finally, do you know how good is it for online gaming? Low pings I hope! :)

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

should i ring to see if u can do a los test now? Also are you offering the package for a higher contention ratio for €35pm.

Fidelis

The normal Alvarion install charge is 380E - with there being a half price special on that so is 190E.

On the standard 1:8 contention the price is 40E per month excluding VAT. To answer Vishal - yes there is a higher contention package and the cost sounds right - I am not exactly sure of how much it is. Assuming you to be off SIAC - i think it would be fair to order towards the end of the week.

Assuming you placed the order today - LOS tests are normally done between 5-10 working days - and then if passed a similar time base for the actuall install.

As for gaming ... the Alvarion equipment is frequency hopping and therefore uses a broad range of the frequency band. This is great when it comes to securing good bandwidth if there is interferrence - however latency is the first item to go bad if intereferrence is experienced.

This is my ping from home on Alvarion.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chaz>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=51
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=51
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=51
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 63ms, Average = 43ms

The bottom line - it is normally great - however IBB does not guarentee any minimum latency and will generally not fault find if there are what is know as normal spikes in the system caused by interferrence. There have been issues where some have seen hig pings (>300ms) in which case we know there is a problem and it will get looked at.

Those pings were done with me doing some traffic - so hence the 'spike' to 60 ms - normally it sits around 25-35 ....

Please just note my comments about it not being guarenteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I too am in Clondalkin awaiting the results of the site at SIAC. There seems to be a bit of foilage between SIAC and my house but I can clearly see the building from my backgarden. Does IBB need a absolutely clear LOS, are a few trees gonna cause problems :?

Distance related. If you are less than about 1 km - then you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

[mutter]blanchardstown[/mutter]

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

[shouts through megaphone]blanchardstown[/shouts through megaphone]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Hi Chaz
    I live in Glasnevin (off the Ballygal Road East). It's about 4Km or less from Mountjoy. Any plans to site Navini at Mountjoy in the near future?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

[]Ballycoolin being built[]

Theres no plans for Navini on Mount Joy that I am aware of. Why do you not go for the normal Alvarion product?

Advertisement