Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IBB Product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Chaz
    []Ballycoolin being built[]

Let wardriving commence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Theres no plans for Navini on Mount Joy that I am aware of. Why do you not go for the normal Alvarion product?

estimated when it will completed so I can get the product?
    non-navini I guess (does not matter anyway for me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Theres no plans for Navini on Mount Joy that I am aware of. Why do you not go for the normal Alvarion product?

Gues there is no real plan for Navini anywhere yet, but to answer the alvarion question for most i think the reason is that it is impossible for most in Dublin to get LOS anywhere and if you live in a apartment building most places wont allow for any kind of external antenna to be put up. Fix this small hurdle and you are i more business than you had ever hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Gues there is no real plan for Navini anywhere yet, but to answer the alvarion question for most i think the reason is that it is impossible for most in Dublin to get LOS anywhere and if you live in a apartment building most places wont allow for any kind of external antenna to be put up. Fix this small hurdle and you are i more business than you had ever hoped for.

Thats exactly it Nitrox. There would be a huge amount of business with this Ripwave product in apartment complexes. I know im in one in dublin 8, am unable to get DSL and cannot pop an aeriel up anywhere i please. Im sure there are lots of people in similar situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

I really think that this would be one place where the companies who maintain these buildings would stand to make serious money.
    All they have to do is to put up one directional antenna on top of the house and route cables down to each floor. After that the wireless broadband provider would do the rest of the work to each apartment.
    The one time investment is fairly big, but this is still small change when thinking property management in Dublin.

So why is this not just an idea out of the thin air that could never happen? Because it did happen in Denmark (and i am sure many other places also) and it has proven to be a huge succes, just does not seem like property management here is interested in making more money or maybe companies like IBB just need to get in contact with them first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mbroaders
    cannot pop an aeriel up anywhere i please. Im sure there are lots of people in similar situations.
    I'm sure there are. No chance of fixing it inside somewhere?

(sceptre has a working Sky dish in his bathroom and is free of the inept Chorus)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by sceptre
    I'm sure there are. No chance of fixing it inside somewhere?

(sceptre has a working Sky dish in his bathroom and is free of the inept Chorus)
    heh How does that work? Is it hanging out the window? :p Personally I couldn't imagine the antenna for IBB mounted inside a house, it's fairly clunky. Plus, if you put it in the bathroom, you might have to give up washing...

Originally posted by Nitrox
    just does not seem like property management here is interested in making more money or maybe companies like IBB just need to get in contact with them first.

"Proper" apartment complexes are managed by property management companies who act on behalf of the apartment owners.

These are the people who decide they don't want 101 sky "mini"dishes on the roof, for perfectly good reasons.

These are also the people who, if there are enough internet users in the block, would probably be willing to enter into a group scheme of some description to cover all residents.

If, on the other hand, you mean a flat in a house rather than an apartment in a block, and you're dealing with a private landlord, then you're probably ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

any news on the tests at SIAC Clondalkin? how did they go and whats the quality of the signal like etc. any idea when they will be able to do installations?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

what does backhaul mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

First tests were done today. Not sure of outcome.
    Installs are normally 1 week after LOS is done.

Backhaul is the 'connection' that is needed to get the site's traffic to a peering or routing point.

So you connect to SAIC - how do you connect to the internet? With BackHaul.

Well hopefully if all going well I will be able to connect to SIAC. Currently I use UTVipXL for inet. Are LOS tests carried out on site also? maybe i'll take a pic of SIAC from my house tomorrow :D

...and submit it to this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

who provides a backhaul? is it eircom?

Hal1 - dont understand?

LOS test is done from your premises to any base station that we feel will work for the connection. Do you mean - do we check both sides - if so - nope.

Vishal - no - we use our own equipment (normally RF) or we use Fiber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by vishal
    who provides a backhaul? is it eircom?

As far as I know it isn't, I think they interconnect with NTL among others. Absolutely not sure though, you'd be best to ask them directly, and post what you find out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

Chaz
    to improve takeup of your alvarion product-reduce the monthly charge

[Chaz's Personal Comment] SixtySix - you must be joking. Which other company supplies you with that kind of bandwidth - with such low contention and no download limits?[/Chaz's Personal Comment]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Serbian
    heh How does that work? Is it hanging out the window? :p
    No, it's actually in the bathroom. Regular sized dish (not the ultra-small minidish). I do have the slight advantage of having a 12 foot ceiling in the bathroom and outside walls that are just over a foot thick. Had to cut the dish slightly so that it would fit. So it's mounted in the window, all inside, at eye height, over a fast-growing umbrella tree. Half an inch gap between the LNB and the window when it's closed. Doesn't actually take up any room at all really and I can still close the curtains behind it. The city council didn't like the dish being mounted on the outside wall, hence the move inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

Chaz,
    what does installation usually entail-is there a web site showing the installation-and does the ibb website mention half price installation.

• Advertisement

The half price deal is probably not on the website - ring in for details. The site is being updated anyways to a new site.

From a document I prepared for the sales team regarding the installation:

Installation Guidelines

Standard Installation

A standard install would consist of a cradle lashed around a chimney or other suitably shaped protrusion on the roof of the client’s premises. To this, a 1.5” galvanized pole – normally around 6 foot in height – would be bolted. The lashing consists of 2 stay wires being wound around the chimney once – and then terminated using a locking system.

On top of the pole would be the antenna (See Figure 1). The antenna is a 2 foot by 2 foot mesh antenna, not unlike the MMDS antenna that are seen on many houses. Behind the antenna there would be a white waterproof box. The box has dimensions of around 200 mm x 120mm x 80mm. This box contains the radio and the external part of the Power over Ethernet device.

Figure 1 – Antenna.

*NOTE*

For this microwave based system to work 100%, a certain clearance zone between the antenna and the base station needs to be achieved. To achieve this – suitable clearance needs to be ensured above any other protrusions on the roof, nearby trees or any other form of hindrance. It is therefore very difficult to hide the antenna from sight. The installation team would look at all options before the physical install gets done – and choose what is best considering the factors and options that are available.

One Category 5 External Cable exits the unit and goes down to near the client’s PC, Firewall or Router. Suitable holes need to be drilled to accommodate this cable, which is around 6mm in diameter – and not much unlike normal Category 5 cables, used on common wired LANS.

Inside the client’s premises there has to be a 220V power socket to accept the Power over Ethernet Power unit. Category 5 cabling would be made up by the installation team to link the clients PC, Firewall or Router to the Power over Ethernet Unit. This is normally very close by, as it is a convenient place to source power.

Best effort is used to ensure that the cable run is as neat and practical as possible. Clients need to be aware that when holes are drilled through walls, it is virtually impossible to not get some form of plaster damage.

The cable run will enter through either a hole drilled through a wall, an existing hole or through some form of ventilation system. Silicon is applied to ensure that waterproofing is maintained as best possible. Where possible – a drop loop will be left to allow rain to drip off instead of penetrating through the hole.

In certain cases where there is no easy cable run – to avoid damage or any other significant untidiness of the system – the installation team will be forced to terminate the system a distance away from the current PC, Firewall or Router. The installation team will leave enough terminated cable to allow the connection to work – with the onus resting on the client to adapt equipment layout or provide suitable trunking to hide any loose Category 5 cabling that is needed to interconnect equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

May I ask whether you still use Alvarion kit for the new installs, or is it different now?

We are using 3 different kits.

The standard kit is the Alvarion FHSS 2.4GHz equipment. This is the basic package and is available in 512K,1M and 2M.

Navini - off 3 Rock - 512K/128K (Down/Up)

Then there is a Alvarion VL product that allows bandwidth up to around 12Mbits - basically for big business clients that start requiring bandwidth from 2Megs uncontended. It is semi NON LOS - works like a bomb - with the only drawback being cost, therefore only fits into a Corporate client type costing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

mountjoy is in a hole, i,m like within a km of it, and pretty high up and yet nothing, cannot see it. according to the lads no one had been connected off it up to a week ago.

The Mountjoy target area is the East Wall and surrounding business areas. Due the the location of the site - only 180 Degrees is served off it - primarily starting from the North - through East - to South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The Mountjoy target area is the East Wall and surrounding business areas. Due the the location of the site - only 180 Degrees is served off it - primarily starting from the North - through East - to South.

hmm, east wall, guess where i live mate. Anyway not your fault

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

The IBB Tallagh node became operational about 2 months ago and they have been testing the RipWave product for the same period of time.

Seems like a good product though coverage is a bit unpredictable. As for speed I pay for 512 from IBB and I'm luck to get 170Kps. It is user installable so no need for a line of sight test

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Chaz,

Thanks for your installation guide. Really helpful when I ask for the landlords permission to put this thing up. Now that IBB have new pricing in place I would defo go with IBB. All i need now is the landlord to say yes.

I'm waiting on f!cking Eircom to get back to me to see if my phone line passes the DSL test. They said anything up to 3 weeks. Why oh why lord....

Question: Do you have to be present when getting a LOS test done for your other products? I can't take time off work so does someone need to be there when getting this LOS done.

I think im just outside the Ripwave coverage area so I do not qualify for that. But im not sure. What is 4km? Is that as the crow flies? Still very short distance. I'd love to go up to the top of my roof and find out what I can see and what I can't see.

And the other IBB products? you need an ethernet port on your computer for this? You don't do USB?

Broadband......why did they keep it from us for so long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Chaz, is there an available update on the ballycoolin site? I'm desperate :) for a decent connection for a fair price

• Advertisement

i got an email from IBB last week saying that they'd be starting D.15 LOS testing in 2 weeks.... so next week, fingers crossed.

home@irishbroadband.ie is the residential enquiries email address i believe

Advertisement