Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on v1.4

Options
  • 31-05-2003 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

EA/Dice Community Update #23 is out and its giving some information of what we can see in 1.4...
    Ten Hut Soldiers!

Another E3 is over. And while the floor of the LA Convention Center was a battlefield of products this year, when all was said and done, and the dust cleared -- Battlefield 1942 was still king of the hill when it comes to multiplayer action!

Now let's get back to business -- this week we're giving you another sneak peek at the upcoming 1.4 patch. First, let's take a look at what we've already told you about the patch:
    • Tank Repair exploit - tanks will no longer be able to make repairs in the airplane hanger.
    • Improved voting UI - the voting interface has been improved.
    • Cheats - we will be implementing features to address many of the cheats currently being seen in BF1942 games.
    • Linux Server
    • Two new guns -- The DP 1928 - Japanese Assault rifle and the Type 99 - Russian Assault rifle.
    Here are more features that you can look forward to in the 1.4 patch:
    • New and improved sounds in 1st person view, such as increased volume of impacts, louder grenade explosions and a new sound for the Axis Assault rifle STG44.
    • Scoreboard now shows current server's name, IP address and map name. Scoreboard also shows each player's ID number, which is used for creating your buddy list/voting to kick a player.
    • Rear gunner for Stuka/SBD/Ai-chi-val now has crosshair.
    • Incremental patching will be available for clients (smaller 1.31-1.4 download)
    • Added a new blood effect for additional feedback when you are hitting another soldier.
    • Much, much more.
    Another feature of 1.4 that we'd like to explain is the "Content Check" option.

When content check is turned on by the server admin (default setting in the dedicated server front end), only players with completely clean BF 1942 installs will be able to play on the server. When content check is turned off by the server admin, anyone can join the server, whether they are running the merciless mod, or have have Desert Combat installed.

Currently, server admins will not be able to run content check servers that have user created maps/mods installed. If they do, clients will not be able to connect to those servers, regardless of whether or not they have the same maps/mods installed as the server.

Many of you have also expressed concerns that you won't be able to play on any official EA servers because of the content check feature. Here's some good news for you - with the 1.4 patch we are changing the configs of all of our EA servers, and we WILL be running some non content check servers. This will be evident in the server name. For example we may have "Pure Coral Sea Only" servers and "Non Pure Coral Sea Only" servers (Pure Coral Sea Only = Content Check Coral Sea Server -- Non Pure Coral Sea Only = Non Content Check Coral Sea Server)

When can I download this wonderful patch? The answer is soon. We're entering our final testing phases today. Once we are confident that there are no major outstanding issues that are caused by the patch, we'll release it.

That covers this week's update - stay tuned next Friday for another Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of World War II weapon feature, and a detailed list of our new official server configs that will release with the 1.4 patch!

Now get back out there on the Battlefield soldier!

EAComMike and the rest of the Battlefield 1942 team!

Soon we hope :)

Give a little vote on the EA BF Poll. I know many woman who play Battlefield....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

No real game changing fix's, but we'll see how things go, hopefully some of the bugs have been ironed out tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

thank god there introducing incremental downloads for the 56kers in the audience, at least we wont have to be waiting for hours to dl it or asking mercury tilt to dl it for me :)

Regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Hm.. the lack of being able to repair tanks in hangers is going to be a problem, theres at least one map i can think of where therell be nowhere to go to repair a tank now. Blast..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Moriarty
    theres at least one map i can think of where therell be nowhere to go to repair a tank now.

Midway for example ... but there isint much need for tanks etc. anywhy really on that level :) ... just make sure your an engineer when you play ;)

The content check thing doesnt sound too good for the community i have to say. Admins are gonna have to make sure to disable it really cos if its enabled you remove about 80% of BF players... [i'd imagine]. It should be changed so as that it recognises server side mods and cancels out the client side mods or something, though i may just be reading it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Winters
    Midway for example ... but there isint much need for tanks etc. anywhy really on that level :) ... just make sure your an engineer when you play ;)
    Aù contraire, you can easily hold both islands in midway if you have the tank, its a decisive vehicle. Now that theres no repairing in hangers, anyone wanting to drive tanks is going to have to be an engy and hope he doesnt have to bail. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"+ much much more......"

humm..........sounds a bit dubious to me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

"content check"

would I be somewhat right in reading it as:

if cc is enabled on a server, anybody with BF mods installed wont be able to play on said server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Engineer can repair a tank anywhere:D

Content Check is EAs way of saying they did something to combat cheaters.
    It wont be sued much like SV Pure for SH causes more peoblems than it fixes.

www.bf1942.com has 28 superb maps on its main page you cant play on Content Check enabled servers with those in your MOD DIR.

You could have 2 installs one for Modded servers and others for pure clean BF thats how i used to play SH.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    You could have 2 installs one for Modded servers and others for pure clean BF thats how i used to play SH.
    and it really works?
    Are you sure?

I just remember that I had re-install the whole game when I installed DC in the wrong directory.

It seems there is only one possible entry in the registry for BF.
    So I'm curious to see if two installations of BF will work.

On the other hand: If not, all the nice mods are gone.

jow

Advertisement