Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat the LC without attending school during the year

Options
  • 31-05-2003 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Heya,

Obviously, the nervous systems of all us leaving-cert students are in a bit a a tangle-twist at the moment, and worries may appear to be on the increase.

Some of us are petrified that we'll have to repeat 6th year. Some of us are petrified that we won't get 550 points (yes, these people DO exist!!).

However, for those who are completely freaked by the idea of spending another year in school, did you know that you can repeat the exams in June 2004 (or any year thereafter) without having attended school at all during the year?

It's true: You don't have to attend day school (or school at all) from September to May in order to sit the exams themselves in June.

All you have to do is apply to your local school (namely your current school) to sit the exams there in June.

This mightn't be such a great idea if, say, you get 300 points this year and are looking for 480 points next year. In that sort of situation, you'd be better off in school, coz obviously a few things didn't quite click wit u, and it's gonna take more than studying at home to make them click!

However, if you get 300 points this year and are looking for, say, 330 points, then studying at home for the year mightn't be such a bad option if you couldn't stand another year in school.

And if you do decide to say home for the year, then for feck sake don't forget to apply to the school (to sit your exams there) before the closing date!

By the way, there are 23 and 24 year-olds in the Institute doing the LC because they wanted medicine, got science instead, and found it impossible to get transfered from science to medicine, so no are back looking for the points for medicine again. (Note: Medicine is one of the few courses that you DO need the actual LC points for even if you ARE applying as a mature student!).

Anyway, I hope your nerves have been somewhat calmed, as this news has already done to one member of these boards in my previous post.

Get career advice from before you make any decisions!

C ye ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well sorry but getting your results on the day and them being somewhat decent is the best hting ever!

I was rightly pissed off over my points but I knew at the end of the day I'd get into one of my top3 choices no matter what. Everyone knows pretty much what they deserve, when I showed my results to the folks and was all pissed off they almost hit me cause basically I didnt even deserve what I got!!!!

Get some sort of points as long as you get into college (ASsuming thats what you wanna do) It is all worth it. Sitting it again is a **** load of hassl eand a pain in the ass!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Well sorry but getting your results on the day and them being somewhat decent is the best hting ever!

I was rightly pissed off over my points but I knew at the end of the day I'd get into one of my top3 choices no matter what. Everyone knows pretty much what they deserve, when I showed my results to the folks and was all pissed off they almost hit me cause basically I didnt even deserve what I got!!!!

Get some sort of points as long as you get into college (ASsuming thats what you wanna do) It is all worth it. Sitting it again is a **** load of hassl eand a pain in the ass!!!

If you knew you were going to get one of your top choices, then what was your problem? You were pissed off at what?

And regarding your "get some sort of points" comment, what,, exactly, are you talking about?

The point to my post was, in case NOTHING actually clicks with you, is that for people who badly want a particular course, but won't get the points for it this year and couldn't stand another year in school, then studying at their leisure and in there own free time is an option they have open to them.

END OF STORY:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if you do repeat the exams do you have to repeat all of them

or could you just repeat the ones you did badly in and keep the points from the others....because that could be really handy not that i would want to spend another year preparing for the LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

if you repeat, you DO NOT have to do all yore subjects again.

you can just do the ones you did the worst in.

like me for eg. didn't get what i wanted in Hons Maths so I'm repeating them this year.
    why?
    cos I like punishment. nah...they're piss easy second tyme round :)

anway, afaik, unless you repeat at least 6 subjects, you cant increase yore points from the last time.

College courses are based on points from one sitting of the LC.

means you cant mix and match results to increase yore points.

I had enough points for my course just didn't have the grade in the Maths so I hadda repeat.

Advertisement