Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early final fantacy's

Options
  • 31-05-2003 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

No im off colege for the summer I am ready to spend money on a new game or two. Ive noticed all the old final fantacy series has been realesed on PS1. Ive got 7-10 and liked them are the previous ones any good if so which are the best. I know the graphics wont be great but which has the best story caracters etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I hate to point it out but "Fantacy's" Heh Heh

Yeah, FF6 is good.

Dont know much about the other two on PS1, But im quite sure they are exactly the same as the SNES versions.

5 is probably the best out of the lot of them.

They (5 & 6) were bundled as one game right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I have them all and theyre all really good.

And I concur, 5 is the best of the rest.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

On the PlayStation, FFVI was released on its own, while FF IV and FFV are both in the FF Anthology pack. The original FF and FFII are in the FF Origins pack.

My personal favourite is FFVI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Do the Playstation versions add much or is one as well off playing the originals through emulation?

I think RPG's are the kind of things that date badly, especially since most modern RPG's play practically identically. Action/arcade games hold up much better because they don't demand such a chunk of your time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

It's probably better to play it on emulator tbh, the ps version you have to wait for loading time a lot, like for when you're changing area or going to the menu. it's instantanious on pc. But the ps version has FMVs, what ever floats your boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I disagree completely...RPGs dont date at all....they are more about gameplay then about graphics..a good storyline and script holds up, ****ty graphics dont :) thats why you can still play FF games !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Tusky
    I disagree completely...RPGs dont date at all....they are more about gameplay then about graphics..a good storyline and script holds up, ****ty graphics dont :) thats why you can still play FF games !

teh man.... ff6/3 is far better on SNES/emulation then PSX, theres loads of loading when your choosing moves in little battles every time! YOu know this crap parts you just do to gain experience and to get to the next part in the story.

YEHAH

TIMEH#!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Real console over emulator every time.

More extras on PSX version. Thats number one.
    Better gameplay experience: none of this quicksaving rubbish for a start.
    PSX version wont do weird shit and fuck up the sound. All emulators do weird shit.

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually I found Zsnes played the FF games prefectly. However I much prefer gaming on a console than on a PC. It's for this reason that even with loading times I finished FF 4 5 and 6 on the PS but got disinterested half way through on an emulator. It's just a pain in the arse waiting for a PC to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I don't know how you play them really.. It's so boring to play an RPG so old. Okay they're FF games but I found myself extremely bored playing through FF6 it felt more like work than play. Random Battles are dull enough with tasty PS2 graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well if you really like RPGs then you should be able to put up with random battles and see that the games are extremely good no matter how bad the graphics are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Does anyone want to make a "YOU'RE JUST NOT HARDCORE ENOUGH!" Boards Gathering card for Retr0gamer's increasingly tedious posts along these lines? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I think RPG's are the kind of things that date badly,
    I find its RPG which date the least, I could still pick up Shining Force and play it for hours on end (If I had one which worked, still looking for a working Shining Force 2, anybody?).

But FFV was the best for me, I dnt think I ever quite finished it, but I got to the end/very near the end of all of them that Ive played, their usually pretty damn good, but at the end they tend to get a little stupid.

Does anyone want to make a "YOU'RE JUST NOT HARDCORE ENOUGH!" Boards

It would be nice to get that kind of recognition. Seriously I wasn't trying to be smart with that comment. I've had my fix of Ikaruga. It's just that i find the random battles annoying as well but I find its worth putting up with in the end.
    at the end they tend to get a little stupid.

Are you saying that the FF games get too hard at the end? I find that in almost all the FF games the last boss is exponentially harder than the rest of the game and takes ages of levelling up or dirty tactics to beat. That really annoys me cos I like to beat my games quickly cos I've too many to play and it usually gets a bit boring preparing for the last boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

How can anyone take a series called "Final Fantasy" seriously? Even "Final Fantasy 2" is just silly ;) Did we miss something in the translation?

Random battles hah! Give me football for excel anyday ;)

I'll have to develop some photoshoppy skills so I can do a Retrogamed card!

Uh-oh this could be bad. I'm sure Prae has some dodgy photos of me acting the muppet on his hard drive. As for why final fantasy is called sinal fantasy, I could tell you but I'd probably put both you and myself to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I know, I know...square thought it was going to be their last game. It was a success, so they made it in to a series.

I was just trolling for the sake of it

You just love annoying me especially because you know that no matter how silly it is you know I will make a big fuss about it.

Advertisement