Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Firewall?

Options
  • 31-05-2003 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Whats the story with hooking these adsl modems up to linux firewalls? I assume the CD installs metioned in other threads are really just driver installs? and that these drivers are available for linux boxes?

On another note, are they enforcing the caps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Make things easy on yourself and get your self an ethernet modem. No drivers to worry about at all. You'll just need to get the network card working with linux but they're always well supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ralthor

I kind of assumed that you had to use the modem that the ISP was supplying? I thought that was the whole point of all the money they were charging for an install? Actually it might be fun to watch them trying to hook it up to a linux firewall. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

AFIK they won't touch Linux (the engineers) or anything besides windows, most of these modems have both USB/Ethernet conections, if you're going to be using Linux take the advice above and go with ethernet.

Emboss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I kind of assumed that you had to use the modem that the ISP was supplying? I thought that was the whole point of all the money they were charging for an install?

The modem isn't included in the installation price. Unless you go with ESAT who will loan you a modem for free, they'll try to sell you a modem for twice the price their worth. Buy your own.

And go for the self install option too, save yourself a lot of money. It dosn't take an engineer to plug a phone into a microfilter.
    AFIK they won't touch Linux (the engineers) or anything besides windows

They'd no doubt point to the minimum requirements of Windows 98SE or above and tell yout that *nix would break your phone line and possibly the whole internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

At which point you tell them that Linux in pretty much any recent form exceeds win 98s capabilities and that if they don't believe you can take their email addy and send them merely 1 url* and some search terms.

*Assuming an engineer knows what a url is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement