Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky One / Movies in Widescreen

• 31-05-2003 11:16pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was lookin' on the digital spy forums and saw that in the uk on NTL:home digital they will be showing sky one and movies in widescreen, like sky digital will be next week.

Does anybody think it will be in widescreen on NTL Digital here ?? Because ive noticed that sky one's screen format has been acting odd all week. They might be testing it ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Well Sky One's formating has been strange through my digital box all weekend. I mailed NTL on the 15th May to ask if if it would carrying Sky One in w/s and they were very vague in their answer. The first program due to broadcast in w/s on Sky One is The John Leslie Scandal on Wednesday (according to the DS site) so we'll just have to tune in then and see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by SteM
    they were very vague in their answer

um, ntl's customer service summed up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Veery Weird and annoying screen size on my ntl digital for Sky 1 ...very much like they have set up the widescreen aspect completely completly wrong.

NTL Answer " Go watch Sky 1 on the analog till sorted"

Well, this has been buggered up completely tonight. 'The John Leslie Scandal' was broadcast in W/S by Sky. The analogue broadcast had the edges cut off it - only half the Sky One logo was there. The digital broadcast was broadcast in W/S but still had black bars either side of it so everyone was squashed.

Yeah, On NTL Digital it is completely botched up & it looks as if they'll be keeping it cropped on analogue. :confused: :mad:

• Advertisement

I was watching sky one's 2nd widescreen show yesterday & it still isn't fixed & it's the same problem with attheraces when your trying to watch something in widescreen. :mad:

How come E4 screen format is stuck on letterbox, at first it youst to work fine?? :confused:

At The Races seems fine if you switch the digibox to output 4:3. 16:9 is certainly messed up.

At The Races seems fine if you switch the digibox to output 4:3. 16:9 is certainly messed up.

Yeah, but yor getting a cropped, pan and scan picture which isn't much use.

I can't see why they can't fix theese channels anyway. :confused::confused:

But that would all that would be available on a TV feed from North America or South Africa or wherever they show racing from. Like ITV when they show champions league footy from a mainland European country - most places won't broadcast a proper widescreen image so you get 4:3 output with banners covering the sides of the picture as that's all that's available. When you say it's cropped, all thats cropped off is the static banners on the sides of the 4:3 picture.

I think it's much more important that NTL sort out that issue with Sky One WS than worrying about ATR.

On attheraces not all there coverage is 4:3 origionally , most of it is is in proper 16:9 widescreen & it gets annoying when u watch it cropped and stretched.
    I think it's much more important that NTL sort out that issue with Sky One WS than worrying about ATR.

I have to probably agree with you there coz I watch sky one a lot more.

But I'd still rather them all workin'.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by celticfc
    On attheraces not all there coverage is 4:3 origionally , most of it is is in proper 16:9 widescreen & it gets annoying when u watch it cropped and stretched.

Sorry I didn't realise. Any time I was flicking through it at the weekend seemed to be 4:3 so I though that most of it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

all of the UK meetings seem to be in 16:9. it is only the American stuff that's 4:3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 j. corb

I noticed over the weekend while scanning the channels that "Prince William Uncovered" on Sky One was in the proper format on my tv. I guess it was too good to be true as it's all back to be screwy again.
    Does anyone know when we might get the screen format back to normal again on the channel? The black band w/ tiny white line on the left/right on the screen and stretchy heads is really annoying!

Got this from NTL after mailing them earlier. I asked for a date that they would fix it but they didn't give one. At least they've acknowledged there's an issue I suppose.

Dear Stephen

Thank you for your email.

At the moment there is a fault on our network which is resulting in Sky one broadcasting in widescreen. We are aware of the problem at the moment and we are currently working on resolving the fault. Because it is a broadcast problem unfortunately changing the settings is not going to bring the picture right.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you at this time.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind Regards
    NTL Customer Support

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The same goes for KErrang, it has been botched every since I got the service nearly 18 months ago... But anyway:

Dear Mr Lundburg

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately at present we are experiencing difficulties with Sky one. The channels is being broadcast in
    +widescreen but we are working on the fault at present and hope to have it resolved within the coming days.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you at this time.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind Regards
    NTL Customer Support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 That One Guy

If everything works well, according to ntl, Sky One widescreen issues should be fixed this weekend.

Of course, I was told by my mother that Santa Claus was real, so I'll take this with the appropriate skepticism it merits.

This problem is also only on certain decoders (didn't get info on which ones) so that would explain why some digital subscribers are probably wondering what I'm talking about and others know EXACTLY what the problem is and why it's so frustrating. Watching Buffy was not fun last night.

We'll see!

Originally posted by spockety
    The same goes for KErrang, it has been botched every since I got the service nearly 18 months ago...

On Kerrang it looks fine if your watching it on a widescreen tv coz they dont show any widescreen programmes.

E4 bothers me the way that it is stuck on letterbox format & ye can't change it. I can't see why they cant fix this back to the way it was origionally. :confused::confused:

Originally posted by That One Guy
    If everything works well, according to ntl, Sky One widescreen issues should be fixed this weekend.

Well I've noticed this morning that sky one seems to be working properly again when it's not a widescreen programme :D

at last :confused:

Ive checked 2nite and the show about wayne rooney was stuck in letterbox. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

They have had this problem for months on several channels. Shortly after I subscribed e4 developed this fault, I rang up and after explaining the problem in detail they insisted on sending someone to my house, even though I insisted it was a fault on their end. A few days later the ntl bloke showed up, agreed that there was something wrong and fiddled with the box's settings for 45 minutes. When he realised he was getting nowhere he rang his mate who was in some other customer's house for advice, they talked for a minute then he said "jaysus it's like that everywhere, I'll have to head back to base to fix it". I suppose he got lost on the way back as e4 has not had proper switching since. Kerrang has been wrong since it started and there is no reason for it, on sky it is 4:3 only. The only music channels that have a widescreen broadcast are the recent SKY ones and they are no use as all the vids are 4:3 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by John R
    The only music channels that have a widescreen broadcast are the recent SKY ones and they are no use as all the vids are 4:3 anyway.

:eek:
    no they're not. Sky's new music channels show a lot of there videos in widescreen

• Advertisement
Advertisement