Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unconfirmed Rumour: 40 new channels

• 31-05-2003 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine, he said that he just got off the phone with an NTL Sales Rep who said that NTL will be introducing 40 new channels in the next 2 weeks. Now unless this is a gross exaggeration on the Sales Rep's part or those 13 or so channels could turn into near enough 40, which is nice!

Looking at what NTL customers get in the UK, an extra 40 channels would only bring us up to the level that they are currently at. Any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pah! :mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well after getting off my now weekly call to NTL sales on Friday, I was told they've been having progess meetings on these new channels last week. Still only 4 have been confirmed. Carriage deals with 6 more are in the pipeline. The four new channels are also going to launch this month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Still only 4 have been confirmed. Carriage deals with 6 more are in the pipeline. The four new channels are also going to launch this month.

Did they give a date this month???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

Why don't ntl cop on and realise that the irish are not ignorant and do not need more and more EFL channels. If they watch a programme on one channel they do not need to watch the same on another and another and another channel. If they see Colombo or Kojak on one channel and they have difficulty in getting the plot they can record it on this new fangled device called a vtr and then watch it over and over again...... until finally they get the message.

Here we are living on a British(?) island dominated by all the tripe that ntl London* decides to inflict on us whereas our other neighbours all over Europe have cable services providing a multi-lingual basic service for a minimum of 40 channels for 123 euro a year ( example:Bruxelles) and then further services are available on a pay extra basis.....

We are so soft ...we turn over like dogs...and say to ntl ....keep on reducing our basic service and keep on charging us more and more. WE WILL PAY.
    14 channels for 206 euro per year including five kids channels for Dublin, Galway and Waterford...

Is this acceptable in an important E.U. capital?

Mo léan, mo léan.

*all ntl employees in Eastpoint and Waterford act under instructions from London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

a bientot, do you post on any other issue? :)

Not that your wrong - NTL should have a mutliple of language channels it should have the space but on the other hand 95% of ppl would sooner have BBC3/4/UK Gold etc...as they speak english first.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well I reckon it's time to mention the 80:20 rule

20% of the channels would account for 80% of the viewing -
    ie. The 4 Irish and the UK terresterials would take most of the viewing - so the 95% might want duplicate other channels but they won't watch them as much as the 5% who want a choice. (On the occasions that I get to watch SKY / Discovery - it's still repeats that I've already seen.)

Also given the numbers of foreign people here and the numbers of FTA stations on Satellite it should be dead easy to add more national broadcasters to the list.

Can remember when they used to do RAI - got in a satellite system since they don't do that - a few more satellite channels and NTL lost a customer.

Now especially with all this BBC FTA talk - NTL need something that you can't get on SKY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

But surely it's not just a case of them adding channels, there are programming lisencing issues that broadcasters have to look into?

If they were to add more channels what would yez like???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'd really like to have challenge? as I love the crystal maze, forte boyard etc. Plus the remainder of the UKTV channels. UK Bright Ideas only shows the best of their other lifestyle channels and ftn the best of their entertainment ones. Better having the origionals. Fox news would be nice.

I wouldn't mind having:

Living tv
    The other BBC's
    The Eurosport channels
    Motors tv
    f1
    trouble
    ITV 2
    five
    mtv 2 (cant understand why its not already on it) :confused:
    sky sports news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of those desired are subscription channels
    if there are 40 extra they will be FTA or if you're lucky FTV.. and they will of course include +1 's

Any chance that National Geograhic / Eurosport will return ?

So can see FOX news / Bloomberg / TCM / CNN & other news channels / fashion TV / token foreign channels & maybe 30 "God" / QVC type stuff filling in the gaps. :(

Bomerang would be nice - but nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by celticfc
    I wouldn't mind having:

f1

if by f1 you mean the formula one channel i dont think it exists anymore on sky digital but i could be wrong. im 99.99% sure it dont though

J

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    A lot of those desired are subscription channels
    if there are 40 extra they will be FTA or if you're lucky FTV.. and they will of course include +1 's

Any chance that National Geograhic / Eurosport will return ?

So can see FOX news / Bloomberg / TCM / CNN & other news channels / fashion TV / token foreign channels & maybe 30 "God" / QVC type stuff filling in the gaps. :(

Bomerang would be nice - but nope

National Geographic, Bloomberg, TCM, CNN, and Fashion TV are already on NTL Digital.

Eurosport unfortunately was dropped over a carrige fees row. That'll not be easy to resolve if there's bad blood between the sides...

I'd like Trouble, Challenge, Cartoon Network, LivingTV, the other BBCs, and ITV2. Then I'd be happy!

One QVC and God channel is enough for me.

As for "Fair And Balanced" Fox News... well maybe, if its put in "Entertainment" rather than "News and Documentaries". (Hell, that seems to be NTL's policy nowadays anyway, given Nicktoons TV and Nick Replay's assingment to the section). Maybe give it a position right beside the Paramount Comedy Channel!

I dont see them getting the eurosport channels either :( , but the I could see other Film Four channels being added to the subscription line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Washout
    if by f1 you mean the formula one channel i dont think it exists anymore on sky digital but i could be wrong. im 99.99% sure it dont though

you're right. Bernie pulled the plug on the F1 Digital + after last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

sky digital customer here i thought you could get eurosport on ntl digital thats a big loss if you like tennis and winter sports

i would like to see a few foreign language channels on ntl i see that as a big minus point with sky

the only reason i would even consider ntl digital is having itv and ch4 but having more european channels would be a major selling point even tho i a complete ignorant mick that only speaks english i found it great when i was living in belgium (many european channels) it was like surfing thru all the different countries also very handy if you want to learn a new language

Advertisement