Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit Card Scam for UK tourists

• 01-06-2003 12:15am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My inlaws (from Norn Iron) were telling me of the latest rip off in this poxy country. Apparently, this happened them, my father-in-laws brother and his daughter on separate occasions.
    When tourists from the UK try to pay for goods or accommodation here the shop / hotel / whatever converts the euro charge into sterling (at their chosen rate) and then gets the customer to sign the receipt. They claim this is done to aid convenience for the customer.
    However, what they dont state is the exchange rate they use to convert into sterling. Usually this is about 10-15%.
    If you try and complain the premises try and state that they cannot undo the transaction on the CC machine or use some other bull**** excuse to emabrras the tourist into accepting the charge.
    Apparently this happened quite a lot over in the west but also in leading places such as Arnotts.
    Killian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How can they charge sterling on CC machine? Euro is the only legal currency in Ireland.

They should be charged euro andthen the bank does the conversion automaticaly.
    What happens if you tell then to charge you in euro?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As I said it didn't happen to me but apparently they somehow manage it. If you try and protest then they claim that it has gone through, etc. but they are lying as nothing is confirmed until your John Hancock goes on the piece of paper. They also try and make you feel petty for raising the issue with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

just add it to the list of rip offs in this country. If something isn't done soon we're gonna be in serious trouble as we'll have no tourist industry and with the Euro being so strong against Sterling and the Dollar our exports will make things worse. Sometimes I really hate this country.

Originally posted by kbannon
    My inlaws (from Norn Iron) were telling me of the latest rip off in this poxy country. Apparently, this happened them, my father-in-laws brother and his daughter on separate occasions.
    When tourists from the UK try to pay for goods or accommodation here the shop / hotel / whatever converts the euro charge into sterling (at their chosen rate) and then gets the customer to sign the receipt. They claim this is done to aid convenience for the customer.
    This sounds like patent nonsense to me.
    Are you suggesting that when a UK tourist pays for something, the very second their accent is heard, the shop assistant say's ..."wait a second till I charge you in sterling for that..."

Or that hotels in this country, when they hear your accent charge you in sterling??
    Or that when you present a UK credit card, you will automatically be charged in sterling??
    I have a UK credit card and use it all the time and this has never been done.
    I'm not ruling out the possibility that someone somewhere ripped off your Nor Iron relatives, but thats all it was , and not so representative of everywhere as to merit being described as a credit card scam for UK tourists.
    mm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ok then I will ask arnotts what the official line is and will let you know when they come back to me.
    K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by kbannon
    ok then I will ask arnotts what the official line is and will let you know when they come back to me.
    K.

I can't wait to hear what they say. Because afaik it's impossible for a shop to charge the currency they're charging credit cards for.

It's like when you buy something, from a US website, they charge you in dollars but it's your credit card company who deals with the exchange rate and puts the euro value on your statement...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

this is so much bullsh1t. There's no way a shop can charge a tourist in their native currency. We use the Euro here and that's that. The credit card company do any currency conversions and charge the proper rate on the users bill. If anyone has been charged sterling like that chap has said then I'm sorry but they are the doziest dopes ever for letting it happen no matter what the shopkeeper/hotelier tells them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they try anything like this, just say "actually, I'll pay in cash, wheres the nearest cash machine".

Advertisement