Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest internet use in Europe, promises Esat BT

Options
  • 01-06-2003 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭

Full content of this available here
    (link changed at corkie's request - full text is below)

From a article in the Business section of Sunday Times.
    EIRCOM and Esat BT are to make flat-rate internet access available to dial-up web users for less than €30 a month.
    The move will offer domestic internet customers an alternative to “per minute” billing and help cut costs for heavier home users.
    It is expected that Eircom will offer a three-tier package of flat-rate fees based on light, medium and heavy useage.

less than €30 ==== €29.99!!! :confused:

When I was in a friends house and Eircom rep called looking for him to switch back. The rep agreed with me that UTVip was the best package available for the net!

:ninja:

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It is expected that Eircom will offer a three-tier package of flat-rate fees based on light, medium and heavy useage.
    This is not flat rate. This is pre-paid metered access. Get ready to complain to ASAI if they try to claim it is flat rate.
    The sub €30 price is being trumpeted by Department of Communications officials as the cheapest flat-rate in Europe.
    It will need to be €21 or less to be the cheapest in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When I say that €30 a month figure I thought they were talking BB!
    Sadly...

As Skeptic says it'll have to be well below 30 to live up to its billing.

However its eircom thats talking about 3 tiers NOT EastBT who are presumably talking about a single package....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

UTV seem to be launching their product on the 27th June. Any news of BT or Esat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Also they need to add line rental, which um, I think is the highest uin europe, or will that be included in the €30? Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

u wanna add line rental to the cost of flat rate!?

jesus i hope ur jokin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭corkie

From The Sunday Times - Business June 01, 2003
    Cheapest internet use in Europe, promises Esat BT
    Stephen O’Brien, Irish Political Correspondent
    EIRCOM and Esat BT are to make flat-rate internet access available to dial-up web users for less than €30 a month. The move will offer domestic internet customers an alternative to “per minute” billing and help cut costs for heavier home users. ComReg, the telecoms regulator, has reached agreement with both Eircom and Esat BT, to make the service available from June 27.

Esat BT has pledged to come in cheaper than any rate offered by its competitors, although it is not clear if the rival packages will be readily comparable with each other.

Dermot Ahern, the communications minister, announced a policy directive to ComReg last year demanding that flat-rate access should be made available by the telecoms firms.

“Flat-rate means anyone at home on an ordinary 56kb connection will no longer have to be on a taxi meter clocking up a bigger phone bill the longer they stay on,” Ahern said.

The sub €30 price is being trumpeted by Department of Communications officials as the cheapest flat-rate in Europe.

Last month Ahern said he wanted to see flat-rate products marketed aggressively.

“Flat-rate will get people online and drive demand for higher bandwidth,” he said.

“I want companies to understand that broadband is coming — that every house in Ireland will eventually have broadband. So stop thinking in terms of short-term investment. Think long term — cut prices, play a volume game — you will make a return,” he said in a bullish speech.

Esat BT’s first domestic broadband customers will be switched on this month joining Eircom’s i-stream customers who have enjoyed the technology for more than a year.

Esat said more than 600 customers had pre-ordered DSL connections and 4,000 had made inquiries about the service.

Could the MODS please (remove/replace to jump to this post) the link to lycos in my message above. I will pulling mysite on lycos if they don't sort out their advertisement frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

still talking about it eh you would have thought that by now we would all sit and wait to see what rip offs both companies come up with ESHAT BT haven't come up with a novel idea since no limits and where did that lead ?

don't get your hopes up guys

Advertisement