Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms online store is now allowing me to order Broadband

Options
  • 01-06-2003 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

im in work at the mo went into the eircom.ie website, just did my periodic check for Broadband and it says theres an error checking it so just for the hell of it went to the eircom store and tried to order broadband, guess what it allowed me to do it, didnt do it just in case that error thing had something to do with it.

So should i order it and really f them up or am i wasting my time

Regards
    Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If you're doing a periodic check for broadband it won't waste much of your time to order it. Terms and conditions attached (remember all the people who've posted that they've ordered it and been told later that there's a problem) and various legal precedents[1] in consumer & contract law mean that it won't screw anyone over if they later phone you and tell you that you can't get DSL. So order it (you may well get it) but don't be under the illusion that anyone in Eircom will get fired if you don't get it.

[1]Briefly:
    • Obligations under section 39 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 don't apply to telecommunications services (there's an exception granted under the Postal and Telecommunications Act 1983 (sections 64 (3) (a) and 88 (3) (a) apply unless the Minister for Communications makes a specific order under ss 64(3) (b) or 88 (3) (b))). Obviously this Act has been replaced since but AFAIK these provisions are still valid (the USO is tied into this).
    • Following the famous cases of Pharmaceutical Society v Boots Cash Chemists (UK, 1953) and Minister for Industry and Commerce v Pim (1966) the order you would make is still effectively you making an offer in answer to an invitation to treat rather than you accepting their offer
    • Eircom bill for the DSL installation after doing the install, meaning that there's no consideration paid by you until after they know that a DSL install is possible (it's possible if they've done it)
    • Receiving the DSL pack from Eircom could be viewed as Eircom accepting the offer you've effectively made; however their terms and conditions cover them on this one. Also, any court would look for acceptance by specific performance rather than acceptance by the sending of the crappy pack (gets them out of a hole if they can't actually install, see terms and conditions again) so you'd be wanting an actual install (see Saunders v Cramer (it's 150 years old but it's still relevant)).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by sceptre
    If you're doing a periodic check for broadband it won't waste much of your time to order it. Terms and conditions attached (remember all the people who've posted that they've ordered it and been told later that there's a problem) and various legal precedents[1] in consumer & contract law mean that it won't screw anyone over if they later phone you and tell you that you can't get DSL. So order it (you may well get it) but don't be under the illusion that anyone in Eircom will get fired if you don't get it.

[1]Briefly:
    • Obligations under section 39 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 don't apply to telecommunications services (there's an exception granted under the Postal and Telecommunications Act 1983 (sections 64 (3) (a) and 88 (3) (a) apply unless the Minister for Communications makes a specific order under ss 64(3) (b) or 88 (3) (b))). Obviously this Act has been replaced since but AFAIK these provisions are still valid (the USO is tied into this).
    • Following the famous cases of Pharmaceutical Society v Boots Cash Chemists (UK, 1953) and Minister for Industry and Commerce v Pim (1966) the order you would make is still effectively you making an offer in answer to an invitation to treat rather than you accepting their offer
    • Eircom bill for the DSL installation after doing the install, meaning that there's no consideration paid by you until after they know that a DSL install is possible (it's possible if they've done it)
    • Receiving the DSL pack from Eircom could be viewed as Eircom accepting the offer you've effectively made; however their terms and conditions cover them on this one. Also, any court would look for acceptance by specific performance rather than acceptance by the sending of the crappy pack (gets them out of a hole if they can't actually install, see terms and conditions again) so you'd be wanting an actual install (see Saunders v Cramer (it's 150 years old but it's still relevant)).

well i ordered it, strange it allowed me to do it considering my whole story from the 11th april,. if this goes through from start till finish ill be very surprised lol, ill be getting a call though i feel it in my bones, ye cant get it cause your line failed for the 1000th time, lol

Ah well at least ill have tried literally everything now :), the reason im saying its strange is because that the online store always blocked me at the line checker stage, it didnt this time

Regards
    Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

maybe the database has refreshed, and your line tested ok on the latest scheduled test?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by jd
    maybe the database has refreshed, and your line tested ok on the latest scheduled test?:rolleyes:

heres hoping lol, but i aint getting me hopes up

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I'll be praying for you dude! :D

• Advertisement

Im on me knees at the mo with me hands together lol

Regards

shin

the pre qual test technical error that was happening earlier has
    now been fixed

put me details in says my lines still failed, so obviously it was a technical hitch so im awaiting the call to say i cant get it

ah well worth try

regards

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

As you obviously live in an area where ADSL is available, why don't you just have a neighbour order it and share it using wireless?

Advertisement