Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear's DG814 modem/router is hot stuff?

Options
  • 01-06-2003 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

I got my Netsource connection 2 days ago....and my DG814 is getting noticeably hot ...

It's cut out (disconnected my 2 pc's) a couple times each day since I started using it.:mad:

I know some of you are using this modem..... and I'm wondering if you're having any similar problems?

I'm also wondering if you've any solutions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I have the wireless version of that (DG824M) and its very hot too. I haven't had any trouble with it cutting out though. Its been running since wednesday evening and other than the temp I dont have any problems with it. To be honest I was getting worried about the temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Just put some carpet tape roll underneath the router to let some air at it. The DLink router can get really hot, as I've seen it happen in other sites in town, but mine is never hot (and its on top of the boiler)

cooler.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I've mine on 2 empty cassette boxes right now... and it's turned on since 10 this morning and in the last hour it's cut out 3 times.

Ok, each time it *looks* like it's still connected, ie. the internet light is showing and the numbered lights for the 2 pc's are showing... but when I refresh web pages or try to do anything online, I just get "timed out" messages.

Hmm.... maybe it's *not* heat-related?
    And if not.... what else might be causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

even with the heat, it should not be disconnecting that much

Agreed.

So I'm thinking now that it might be isp-related?

It's been on continuously for the last 6 hours and it's been totally fine.. no disconnections, no problems.

Not sure what to worry about now...:confused:

• Advertisement

It's not isp related, I'm sure.

So... I downloaded new firmware for my router/modem and installed it this morning.

I've had only 1 disconnection since....and 11 over the last 2 days.

Heat is not the issue, I think.

Advertisement