Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil v Bill - The Sunday Business Show

Options
  • 01-06-2003 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hopefully someone taped that. Ted Harding had some very good questions for Phil Nolan. The best one was when he asked him why we haven't got FRIACO yet - Phil said 'the reason we didn't introduce it was we wanted to invest the money in broadband..... but society wanted it... '

So there you go - we haven't had flat rate for the past ten years because Eircom wanted broadband :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got it on tape. Excuse the fractured prose style - I'm typing as I listen back...

Not much too add to what you just reported - Nolan was doing his job - ie defending eircom with smoke and mirrors as per...

Bill Murphy of EsatBT was bullish as you'd expect saying the reduction in rentals was a joke, he talked about an announcement tommorrow (Monday) regarding a 5% cut in broadband prices (passing on
    the eircom reduction) Murphy takled about how Ireland lagged in BB
    and how more needs doing by Comreg and eircom to reduce overhead costs. He mentioned the hike in domestic line rentals.

Nolan talked about the LLU reduction costing up to 50 million year
    as it would apply to every fixed line. Nolan then went on about being the only telecoms company which is investing in Ireland, blah blah...:rolleyes: The presenter suggested that was because of eircoms grip on the market, and that Comreg noted that eircoms off book pricing was anti-competitive. He then went on say that Ireland prices are comparable to other EU countries. Which is patent nonsence unless eircom have a €30-35 pm broadband service they're not telling us about!

Mike.

Advertisement