Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMT NTP Servers

• 01-06-2003 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a *reliable* and very very accurate NTP Time Server which would service Ireland?

I mean really accurate like, it's a pity the RTE don't run one, since everyone seems to time their watches to the angelus etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

ntp.maths.tcd.ie is what I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

and before you reply with the adresses of the trinity college ntp servers, if you check em out, they're an hour behind because the stuck-up lazy gits don't bother to change the clocks on their time servers when daylight saving time comes in and out of effect so obviously they don't give high priority to the accuracy of the time on their ntp servers..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ntp.iol.ie
    ntp.tcd.ie
    morann.ucd.ie
    ntp.cs.tcd.ie

muinntiaarach.roe.ac.uk

strw.leidenuniv.nl
    tock.usno.navy.gov
    time-b.nist.gov

Very strange that they don't update the hour on their server...
    But then I always get confused between GMT / UT / BST / Local time and the fact that we are in a different time zone to the UK.

I always thought that correction for timezone & daylight saving time was supposed to be done on the Client.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Kopf
    I mean really accurate like, it's a pity the RTE don't run one, since everyone seems to time their watches to the angelus etc
    RTE's broadcast systems are kept decently on time through a receiver for the radio signal from the atomic clock in Rugby. However there's no provision in RTE's systems for sub-second accuracy. In addition to that, whilst the system that triggers the broadcast of the Angelus is kept within a second of Rugby, that system is under human control. The Angelus is usually set up as a 'hard anchor' for their schedule though, so on week days it tends to be pretty much bang on unless there's a very good reason for it to be otherwise. Aertel's clock is also locked to that radio signal and might be better for setting your watch.

No account is taken of propagation delay around the mass of cabling in RTE's transmission system, CODEC delays - it's compressed to 34Mbit/sec with something like MJPEG (ETSI CODEC) for digital transmission across microwave links to the broadcast transmitter sites, the propagation delays around that point-to-point looped microwave distribution network, or the propagtion delay from the point of broadcast transmission to the back of your TV. You can expect all that to take more than a second.

BTW all NTP servers everywhere run UTC. All the time. So do all UNIX machines internally. It's up to your local client to figure out what to do with that with respect to your local timezone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by Kopf
    and before you reply with the adresses of the trinity college ntp servers, if you check em out, they're an hour behind because the stuck-up lazy gits don't bother to change the clocks on their time servers when daylight saving time comes in .

They're utc, it's a case of you're too lazy to set your pc to GMT if that's the timezone you want it in. If you configure your pc properly then it'll receive the utc time and set your clock in GMT.

Greg

• Advertisement
Advertisement