Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking

• 01-06-2003 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, have been having a problem with networking. Basicly have 2 pc's and a laptop am thinking bout getting a Wireless network. Only problem is that the cable network wont work for me, ie when i connect my pc & laptop or pc&pc it wont detect any connection at all. Am just back from collage where i had the laptop and one of the pc's connecting to the collage network with no problems.

Was wondering if there is particular settings i need , or anything. Any help would be appreciated as i really cant take looking at another "cable unplugged" message.

Thanks Col

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Im assuming your using Win2k.

problem could be that you havent set up the PC's with IP addresses, and if you were using the laptop in college, i assume you were logging onto a domain perhaps.

Anyway, google will have loads of basic networking tutorials. Just get all the PC's into the same workgroup, then assign them IP's. I have mine going 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5 inclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

are you using a patch lead or a Crossover cable? if you havent a hub you have to use a Crossover cable, If your using W2k or Win XP yuo should have a little icon on your task bar showing if you have a netowrk connection, Also try going to a dos prompt and
    type the following

ping 192.168.0.5 -t i

if you get destination host unreachable your in trouble

See how you get on with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you are getting lights on the net cards on both machines and assuming as tech said that win2k/xp (if you use) dont show disconnected then its a settings prob... if it works in college then your home settings are obviously different.

However in college are you using YOUR cable between your laptop and a college computer? i.e. NO hub etc.. just into the cards? If so then you have a crossover cable since its working.. if not what i just said then you DONT have a crossover... since you have more than 1 PC at home i suggest a hub (10/100) otherwise get a cheap crossover cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey cheers guys, apreciate your help!! Prob the fact im not using a hub at home. Got one now and will try it. If not IP config here i come :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I presume you using a cable modem of some sort. By cable I am assuming you have a cable broadband service form the likes of NTL or something?

Or you are tryin to physically ling two PC's together using UTP cabling. To directly connect two PC's you need a cross over cable, otherwise yoyu need a hub or a switch inbetween them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea that was the problem, the cable was labeled wrong - thought it was a crossover cable. Used a hub and it was perfect !!
    Next step wireless :) - then broadband if it ever comes to my town.

Advertisement