Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking with dial up?

Options
  • 01-06-2003 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

home computer is in the kitchen; it has the modem
    from another computer I have to get up dial up (this is ok) but when I'm finished online I hate having to go back to the other room and turning off the connection. Is there a command or something. I know I could use a prog like remote computer but would prefer something easier!

Also what is the quickest file transfering method over a network? FTP or just normal windows copy and paste ??

Thx! :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Are you using Internet Connection Sharing? ICS can be set up to automatically dial from the host computer when a request comes over the network from a guest computer. I don't think you can disconnect remotely, but the simplest way around that is to set the host to drop the connection after n minutes. Keep an eye on your machines though, ICS can be dangerous if you have software that tries to access the network periodically. Leaving a browser window with a Refresh in it can be quite expensive. (Post your OS version if you want ICS instructions.)

As to file transfer, you shouldn't need to use FTP over a local network, copy and paste should be fine.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Do a search for a program called Remote disconnection utility, it does what you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

thx dahamsta, I'm actually doing that but it is a pain to be watching the time and there are a few computers on the home network. win 2k, and win xp pro.

I know that I can go to dial up properties and find ics.

Remote disconnection utility, milltown may be what I'm after thx. I don't know why I never use google, perhaps cause I find btr results here! :D

[EDIT: this looks good RDU , I'm gonna try it out, I've no doubts it will work]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

why not use vncServer? It's a great tool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I think XP has this ability built in but you'll have to upgrade your dial up PC to XP then you should be able to control the dial up connection.

I'm assuming you use the Win2000 PC for dial up yeh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    I think XP has this ability built in but you'll have to upgrade your dial up PC to XP then you should be able to control the dial up connection.

I'm assuming you use the Win2000 PC for dial up yeh?

you are right there about it is called remote desktop connection on XP home and pro:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

That RDU prog is exactly the one I was on about. Also has a handy little messaging tool built in. Set your connecting PC up as the server and the sharing PCs up as clients and you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

THat RDU prog is what I'm trying out at the moment.

I'll look into vncServer if this becomes 2 cumbersome for the rest of the family!

I don't like the way RDU comes up on the screen at start-up, I guess I can put a minimise switch in the run folder in regedit?

I'll look into that later. Haven't messed around wit it enough yet but so far so ok:p

Advertisement