Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processors

• 01-06-2003 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I went ahead a bought myself a new processor as I over-clocked my old one and killed it....

It was €120 and it was a 2.1 Mhz AMD Athlon. My problem is when I check if it IS 2.1 Mhz I usually go into Directx or something to check it out. It tells me it's a 1.3Mhz.

Should I go back to the shop and say it's not 2.1 or am I not using the right program to check it out? Or is it just the way processors are? Am I to install it? I don't think so. I am pretty sure I have it placed in right too. Just opened it up a minute ago to make sure (Cutting my self in the process) and it's in securely.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Possibly an FSB setting in the bios maybe.
    That's the only solution I know to a problem like this.
    I'm a bit slow when it comes to problem finding on CPUs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

What is this FSB? Can I change it?

Enlighten.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Try flashing your motherboards biosto its latest version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

there is a very easy thing to do:
    get the serial number (it is printed on the processor), write it down (do rember it;) ) and then do a search in google with that number.

As a result you find the specification site from amd and they will tell you what cpu you have.

then go to your motherboards manufacturer hompage and check if your board supports that processor (they normally give you the fsb/voltage-settings / bios version) and everything you need.

If this doesn't help you you might have a defect. But until the processor works somehow and your dealer sold you the rigth one it is your problem. I don't think your dealer will take the processor back, just because it is not working with your board.

In that case: Thank God for ebay or buy & sell :D

jow

My motherboard is a Compaq Uwave. It doesnt seem to show up anywere. It doesnt have a site. Can anyone direct me to one?

• Advertisement

Hi,

as I don't know the exact name of your board try to search for info here:
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

or type in the exact name in any search engine.

Maybe it helps....

I had a short look there are at least some info around.
    But it seems the MB is not very good documented.

regards

jow

The FSB is the "Front Side Bus" some people call it the "Front System Bus" aswell.
    As I understand it, the FSB is the speed at which your processor can connect with the other components in your system (feel free to correct me here people)
    To get the speed of you processor you multiply the FSB by the core CPU clock speed as far as I remember.
    For AMD chips the FSB runs at either 266MHz or 333MHz. What's your chip? Is it an XP2700 or an MP2600 etc.? If you bought from Komplett then just go to the site and find it again and it will tell you the FSB speed.

Anyway, you should be able to access the FSB speeds through your BIOS. This depends on your motherboard though and it may not have the option.
    I presume you know how to get to your BIOS seeing as you overclocked the last chip.
    You may also be able to change something about your multiplier but I know even less about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Did you buy a Athlon XP 2100 or an Athlon XP running at 2100MHz? There is a difference.

An Athlon XP 2100 runs at 1733MHz when running at the correct FSB speed (not quite as mentioned above, its 133*). When run at 100MHz FSB, the CPU speed drops to 1300MHz.

That would seem to answer your question.

Id add however, if you bought your CPU recently, you overpaid.

Matt

* Athlon motherboards run in a DDR like mode, where the real speed of 133MHz behaves like a 266MHz Bus. However, the actual bus speed is 133MHz (166MHz\333 and 200MHz\400 for newer CPUs\Motherboards).

I think the best way for me now is to raise the FSB. But I do not know how to do that. When I over-clocked my processor and ram I just pushed a button. Then I wasn't aware of BIOS and FSB.

My athlone is not an xp. But it is a 2.1 MHZ Athlon. I thought I paid well for it. €120 is a bit dear yes but what would you fetch for it?

I was thinking about just over-clocking it to it's proper speed but I'm sure it would damage the FSB. So I either need something to raise the FSB or the processor.

I checked all over the internet for one but over-clockers are nowhere. As if they don't exsist.

My MB turns out to be a rare bugger. Can't find anything. But I do know that they were solely made for Compaq Presario's. Which I obviously have.

I aprecciate all the help. I just want something to work for once...

Originally posted by Drunk pirate

I just want something to work for once...
    I know that feeling!! :p

Okay, so checking the CPUs that Komplett have for sale I see 3 rated at 2.1 GHz (I presume when you typed MHz it was a typo! That'd be one slow computer :p)
    They are,
    MP2600 2.13 GHz - 266MHz FSB
    XP2700 2.17 GHz - 333MHz FSB
    XP3000 2.167GHz - 333MHz FSB

So if, as you say, your CPU is not an XP but is an Athlon then your normal FSB would be 266MHz.
    Just as a matter of interest
    116509 AMD Athlon MP2600+ 2.13 GHz 266 MHz bus
    - Socket A (Thoroughbred) processor In stock: 9 €247.67
    That's from Kompletts site. Maybe it's not an MP you have :confused:

Anyway, when you're booting up your PC you should see something like this,

Press the DEL key to enter Setup.

It might be F1 either. Anyway that setup is the BIOS settings.
    If you're interested BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System
    Anyway, (again) the BIOS will look very old-fashioned DOS style. You can usually navigate around using the arrow keys and select things by pressing *space* or *Enter*

About your motherboard, if you go to the Compaq website they should have some kind of support feature where you can go through the different types of systems and see what components they have, make and model numbers etc.
    I know Gateway have that feature, I've used it myself. It's worth having a look.
    If there's anything else I can help with just give a holler :p

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Compaq's site is very limited. www.compaq.com

I can't spot anything.

I'm aware of boot setting but the thing is I put a password on it and I forgot it......I know......

I think I remember the gist but.........

If I keep failing to get the password I think the best option would be to over-clock.

Any over-clocking programs about?

Jeez what a typo
    :D

Try this page. It should help you get more info on your parts if you havn't checked it already :) Well, in theory anyway.

You can flash your CMOS as far as I remember and that will clear any passwords you've set on your boot settings.
    Can anyone else offer more detailed info there?

We all make typos like that sometimes :cool: :p

I've searched that page to death and found nothing. Pretty damn annoying that.

Yes ditto. If anyone has any idea on this cmos thing I would appreciate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Before you go changing anything get yorself a copy of WCPUID at

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html

This handy program will tell you the real speed of your
    System Clock (FSB) should be 133 MHz
    System (Memory) Bus could be 133MHz, 266MHz or 333 MHz depending on your Motherboard
    Internal (CPU) clock should be 1733 for an XP2100

Also the chip set info will give useful information about the chipset in your motherboard.

Aha!

I see the problem!

System clock at: 100.18

Internal clock at : 1302.29 (Should be 2100.00)

System bus: 200.35

Multiplier at: 13.0

Now to change them. How do I do that....

Aha!

I see the problem!

System clock at: 100.18

Internal clock at : 1302.29 (Should be 2100.00)

System bus: 200.35

Multiplier at: 13.0

Now to change them. How do I do that....

"Aha! I see the problem"??

Thats almost exactly what I said, except you still not listening completely. The "internal clock" should be 1733, the true MHz speed of a Athlon XP 2100. There are no "Athlon non-XP\MP 2100s" and Athlons are sold based on a Quantispeed model number, ie a Athlon XP 2100 performs like a 2100MHz CPU.

To set the speed correctly you must enter the BIOS and then look at where it says "bus frequency", FSB or something similar. The existing value is 100, look for that. Increase it to 133, and your CPU will become a Athlon XP 2100 [1733MHz). Its simple math (something almost everyone else here seems to be ignoring). The CPU multiplier is 13x, so logically when your FSB is set to 100 that would mean 13x100=1300. Therefore 13x133=1733 and 1733MHz equates to an AMD Quantispeed rating of 2100.
    I do have a little knowledge on the subject so please listen this time.

If you dont believe me still about this whole Quantispeed thing, check here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734_3742~10044,00.html

(I cannot understand how you managed to actually install the CPU considering your not quite sure what it is or what you bought. Im actually starting to think this is some sad trolling attempt.)

Matt

PS: Running your CPU at the correct speed is not overclocking.
    PPS: Please stop spelling overclocking, "over-clocking"

Erm....sorry or thank you?

:rolleyes:

I come here asking for help and I get this?

I'm no troll I just want help.

Jerk off...

I come here asking for help and I get this?

I'm no troll I just want help.

Jerk off...

Yes, well, there was something a bit unbelievable about the stuff you were posting. Follow what I said and it should work out regardless.

Matt

Matt Simis is correct in what he telling you to do but the insults are not called for.

Here for what it is worth is pretty much the same advice give politely.

You need to change the FSB (also known as system clock) from 100Mhz to 133 MHz. This will change your CPU clock (aka internal clock) to 1733Mhz which is the correct value for your processor.

This is controlled by the bios. In order to change it you need to get into the bios (also known as SETUP) by pressing some combination of keys as your boot your machine. Often the machine will say something like "press F1 to enter setup" while it is booting so try this. Other combinations are "CTRL ALT ESC" and sometimes "DEL".

Navigating the bios can be a bit tricky - you probably need to look for a page of advanced settings to find a reference to system clock or FSB. IF you do find this in the bios change it from 100 to 133Mhz but I strongly advise against changing anything else unless you know what you are doing.

You normally need to press F10 to save any changes to the bios.

Now for the bad news - many big name manufacturers nobble their bios so that users cannot manually change the advanced settings. This helps reduce their support calls from people changing things they shouldn't. In these cases the bios will try to automatically recognise your processor and set the FSB accordingly. The fact that your system isn't doing this implies that the bios doesn't recognise the processor you have.

If this is the case then the solution is probably a bios update (called flashing the bios) if one is available from Compaq. Flashing the bios is a serious business and if you don't know what you are doing it is one of the easiest ways to write off your entire computer - therefore if you think this is the case I strongly advise you get help from someone who has done this before.

It may be possible to get a software tool which changes the fsb without going into the bios but I don't know of one. I suspect that since every motherboard is different this may not be possible.

A final thought - what was the model of processor that you are replacing?

• Advertisement

Another few questions which may help someone give you advice:

In WCPUID go to View Chipset Information

What are the names of the host bridge and the south bridge ?

Also what processor are you replacing (I think I asked this already)?

Yes they were uncalled for but so where his.

Host bridge: Via Apollo Pro

South Bridge: VT82C686A

I am replacing a 700mhz AMD duron

Agreed Drunk Pirate. It was actually Matt Simis insults which upset me - your insults could be said to have been provoked. Anyway better for all of us to be polite.

Another bit of info F10 seems to be the key to use to get into the bios on a compaq. Suggest you press it repeatedly as the machine is starting up.

It is quite likely that the bios won't actually let you chnage anything but in any take note of the bios identifiation number - this may help identify the motherboard. Sometimes the bios identifcation number comes up during boot as well - you need to be quick to spot it.

Compaqs website does have bios downloads but as I said before this is an extremenly risky business if you haven't done it before.

Hi,

STOP, STOP!!!

Sorry, but: There is no Athlon 2100Mhz without XP or MP available!!! The athlons without XP/MP just go up to 1400Mhz (Athlon C)!!!

Pirate, can you please remove the heatsink, look at the serial number of the processor and have a look in the web or post the number here!!

After reading the thread now: I am not so sure that you really know what processor your have!

As written in former postings the normal way is to raise your FSB. But please have a look on the serial number.
    When we know what processor you have we can give you the correct settings.
    There is also a big chance that your MB doesn't support 133Mhz FSB, as you said there was an 700 Mhz Duron installed.

And I think, sorry for you, there is a big chance for that!

jow

It seems pretty likely that it is an XP2100 processor. The only processors I know of that have a multiplier of 13 are:

XP2100
    Thoroughbred XP2700
    Barton XP3000

Considering the €120 price tag its unlikely to be the XP2700 or the XP3000.

Anyway it doesn't really matter what procssor he has - in order to get the best perfomrance out of it it should be run at a higher FSB.

Its a very good point about the motherboard though. Given the age of the system it may not support 133 Mhz at all.

Even if this is the case its not a disaster. An XP running at 1300MHz (approximately equivalent to a 1.5MHz P4) is at least twice as fast as the Duron you replaced with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

But I have one question and I mean no offense by it.

How did you manage to overclock a processor to death without knowing anything about clock speeds and multipliers or knowing how/if you can check such things in the BIOS, never mind adjust them?

Disclaimer:
    I readily admit there is a lot I don't know about overclocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭hulhi

Compaq's site is very limited. www.compaq.com

I can't spot anything.

I'm aware of boot setting but the thing is I put a password on it and I forgot it......I know......

I think I remember the gist but.........

If I keep failing to get the password I think the best option would be to over-clock.

Any over-clocking programs about?
    :D

No offence, but milltown is right.

anyway, can you give us exact model/series (eg: presario 8500xx or presario EZ2600) of your presario desktop,
    maybe we'll be able to find some info on it.
    also serial number of your processor could prove to be very useful in getting help on the matter

P.S.
    regarding compaq PCI systems and their support: they used to be best in the industry, and still are one of the best.

Originally posted by milltown

How did you manage to overclock a processor to death without knowing anything about clock speeds and multipliers or knowing how/if you can check such things in the BIOS, never mind adjust them?

Yep... this was my line of thought yesterday.

Matt

In this Overlclocking program I had it had bar. A red one. You move the bar to increase CPU speed. I moved it 3 spaces. I notice (After 3 week) my processor getting worse and eventually getting wasted. It took about 5 mins to start up.

I don't think Ill bother. I'll just by 1025Mg ram to level it out. Where did you find BIOS in compaq?

My processor probably is an xp/mp I didn't look. Heres some codes on it I wrote down yesterday.

On a sticker it had: 05-03 Batch 3673

On the metal part of the processor it had:
    AX2100DMT3C
    AGOIA0215EPHW

Then at the bottom on the actual processor it has: 27111

• Advertisement

This appears to be the processor you have,

AMD Athlon XP 2100 , 1.73 GHz (MPN-AX2100DMT3C)

which should have a 266MHz bus speed.
    1025 MB of RAM is a lot of expense and although a very, very nice thing to have it doesn't really mean that your PC will run faster.
    When you say "level it out" what do you mean? Are you expecting it to let your processor run at a better speed?

Advertisement