Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need to gain weight

• 01-06-2003 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

ok, I'm male, 6ft4" and 9&half stone. I want to gain weight and muscle as I'm going away in October to aussie. Whats the best way of getting results fast (or at least to get me started)? Should I goto the doctor and get something off him to help me? I've gone before about my underweight and he said its natural but I'm not convinced as other m8's of similar height are about 12 or 13 stone, I might try another doctor.

I've used weight gain $hit before + gym + weights + proper food for about 6 weeks and got as far as 10&half stone. As soon as I stopped (finished college, started working) the weight flew off me and I went back down to 9&half ? Wtf is my body upto, I don't smoke or drink or do drugs

plz, some sensible advice and not just eat and drink beer all day :rolleyes:

[edit] sorry, just seen the sticky above, sorry, I'll have a read of it now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

If you try liftin heavy weights i.e 50k upwards at about 10reps and 2 sets its a good way to put on some weight worked for me but checkin with the doc first might be a good idea!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

There is a sticky thread on this above.

The weights you use should be relative to your starting level of strength - also 2 sets of 10 is not a program for mass gaining, it is hardly even a program.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

It's going to be hard for you to put on weight. If you do it just like any weight loss diet you have to continue to do it to maintain your weight. To add bulk you should hit the gym at least 4 times a week and be doing the highest weight you can without killing yourself. For bulk High weight & high amount of reps!
    For tone low weight & high reps. Take your time...the slower you can sustain a weight or 'control' the weight the better your workout is. You don't want to rush through any weight lifting. That leads to sloppiness and injury!

Hopefully this is useful if not spank me and call me stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Souperfreak
    For bulk High weight & high amount of reps!
    For tone low weight & high reps.

Not sure where you pulled this gem out of. What do you consider high reps?

What difference is there between bulk and tone? They both involve building muscle bulk simply involves building more than toneing does.

I can't see why you'd build one differently than the other. Lift as heavy as you can safely until you reach the bodysize you're happy with then maintain.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

Bulk is different than tone....

Tone: you want to shave the bulk off the muscle and create definition

Bulk: You acutally put on weight to rip the muscle

The higher the weight and the higher the amount of reps the faster you will bulk and rip the muscle (you do actually rip the muscle)

The lower weight and high rep works the muscle and shaves down the bulk of the muscle!

To tone you want to lift weights three times a week leaving a day in between to rest the muscle

for bulk you lift in a row and then take a day or two to of rest

that is why when you are trying to bulk up you lift AT LEAST 4 days a week

Tone no more than 4 days a week thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Souperfreak
    Bulk is different than tone....

The higher the weight and the higher the amount of reps the faster you will bulk and rip the muscle (you do actually rip the muscle)

The lower weight and high rep works the muscle and shaves down the bulk of the muscle!

To tone you want to lift weights three times a week leaving a day in between to rest the muscle

Are you serious or is this a troll? I've never heard such a pile of bull**** in my life.

Shave the bulk off the muscle? LOL what the **** does that mean.

Getting "ripped" doesn't mean "ripping" the actual muscle you idiot. It means cutting down bodyfat % to give much greater definition and clarity of seperation.

Bulking up simply involves producing greater hypertrophy and intake of calories for larger growth. You can be bulked and ripped it's not a problem, look at any Mr. O competitor.

Your idea of bulk and tone are ludicrous. Toneing simply involves building muscle while loosing bodyfat. People don't "bulk" overnight. It takes a long time and alot of work hence you'll tone and firm long before you'll bulk. About the only difference you'll want between training for bulk and training for tone is diet.

Put on weight to rip the muscle? This is idiotic, what in the name of christ are you blabbering about. The "rip" you're referring to are the minuscule tears in muscle fibre you get from weight lifting I assume. You don't get this from bulking up you get them from any sort of strenous activity where you go above your bodies previous expected potential. You don't seem to even understand what getting ripped means.

Again I have to wonder if you pulled this little tidbits out of a lucky dip or fortune cookies or some such. Shaves down bulk of the muscle? This sentence makes my brain hurt. Low weights, high reps do next to nothing. If you're not challenging the muscle to grow it won't grow. Simple.

Cardio, weight regime, and diet "shave the bulk" off if by bulk you mean fat but I honestly don't think you have a clue.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. If you're lifting heavy the body needs at least 24 hours between weight sessions for recovery. This is where the miniscule muscle fibre tears are repaired and protein synthesis occurs for muscle hypertrophy. If you don't allow 24 hours for muscle groups to recover you hit an already weak muscle group causing atrophy and over-training thus hindering progress. 3 sessions a week is ideal for bulking.

No. Tone you want to build muscle and reduce fat. If that's your goal lift three times a week and add some cardio. Watch diet and keep protein intake high to prevent muscle atrophy through calorie deficit.

Umm you're welcome. You lunatic. Maybe you should actually read up on a topic before spouting absolute **** on it. There's enough mis-information around already "thank you very much!".

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Good post logic.

This toned and bulk discussion stuff is a little tiresome.

Think of it more as muscle mass people.

No muscle mass - low body fat = Skeleton -> Kate Moss, various boards members

No muscle mass - some bodyfat = soft/scrawny -> Average sedentary office worker

No muscle mass - high bodyfat = fat/weak -> The UTV continuity presenter

Some muscle mass - low body fat = ripped look - good strength -> Brad Pitt in Snatch maybe

Some muscle mass - some bodyfat = sort of toned - good strength -> Average amateur sporty type

Some muscle mass - high bodyfat = Little definition - good strength -> Amateur prop rugby player maybe

High muscle mass - low body fat = strong/ripped -> Mr.Olympia

High muscle mass - some bodyfat = Non super heavy powerlifter - good tone excellent strength type

High muscle mass - High bodyfat = No tone - excellent strength - Think a wrestler like Big Show or maybe Glen Ross the WSM competitor.

Anyhows - just vague examples. But the bottom line is muscle is muscle - toned is mainly just how much of it shows through the fat. The difference in training high reps to low reps is in terms of your goals. If you want to train for powerlifting train towards low rep top sets of 3,2 and 1. If you are involved in some repetitive action sport, cardio is likely best - but your muscles if you are doing weights will benefit more for a high rep program that prepares them accordingly.

Anyhows that is all.

JAK.

Advertisement