Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

routers

Options
  • 02-06-2003 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

hi,

my question is what exactly is a router?

Ive got 2 computers here both equipped with ethernet NICs and if I get broadband, can I use a router on them?

Do I need 2 IP addresses for 2 computers on a router, or does the router do the same as ICS/NAT software?

Also, if the router only need 1 IP address, how would it know which computer to send incoming connections to?

Thanks,
    andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

"Also, if the router only need 1 IP address, how would it know which computer to send incoming connections to"

It would use NAT

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

i thought NAT could only route outgoing connections?

lol why do I get the feeling my questions are getting stupider and stupider? :rolleyes:

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No i get what ya mean, as far as I know, NAT will handle connections with the outside world. When it receives data, it somehow knows what internal IP address it belongs to and will route it to yourself. Only prob is that it prevents some end to end services, not sure what off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Try:

www.howstuffworks.com
    www.google.com
    www.dslreports.com (has some stuff about routers I think)

I've some other links in the FAQ.
    Also the Linux howtos on NAT are pretty good and should explain it.

Advertisement