Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why a USB port on a router?

Options
  • 02-06-2003 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

A friend has one of these routers and is having problems. Can you have a look at the spec (link below) and tell me why this router has a USB port?

I _think_ its to give internet access to a computer that doesn't have a nic. Am I right? If so, presumably it doesn't have to be connected in order to set up the router?

regards
    garyf

http://www.easybroadband.tv/products.php?singleview=74

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

Product summary
    Our best selling low cost Router, the PT-3808 provides fast connection to more than one PC through and an USB connection.....Or why not throw away that old ADSL modem and use this Router to connect DSL-Broadband to your PC AND a Games Console or the MssgBox DSL Set Top Box...
    What is included
    PT3808 ADSL router - integrated modem - 1 X 10Mb/s Ethernet port - 1 x USB port External power adaptor Installation CD including quick-setup guide 1 x 2m RJ-11 cable (for connection to phone socket) 1 x 2m CAT5 straight Ethernet cable (for connection to Ethernet card in PC)

It seems that you have to connect the router to your PC with the 10 Mb/s Ethernet port and you drain the power from the USB port.
    I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't buy the piece of ****.

my 2 cents

GreetZ Tripkipke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garyf

hmmmm.. I don't think so because there's an external power supply with it also. Thanks for your input.

Advertisement