Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age Of Mythology ---- Worth getting?

Options
  • 02-06-2003 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Need a new strategy, ever since i finished C&C(how bored i am of that game)...is Age of Mythology any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Get Age of Empires 2 and the conquerers xpansion, its so much better and would work out cheaper, the only thing worth a damn in AoM is the cool intro sequence. The game itself isnt that overly bad, but it isnt a scratch on AoE2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Age of mythology is good....for a while, I wouldnt reccomend spending any large ammount of cash on it anyway ... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

is it really that bad? I remeber the first 2 were deadly!! couldn't stay away from them. I was all lookin forward to AoM coming out but then kind of lost interest. I played a small bit of it in a net cafe, and it seem just very similar to the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Its the same in the other 2 in every way except the combat and population limit more or less. The population limit is horrale, there is a certain amount of points around the map where you can place town centres, each one adds 25 to your population limit, and house's are worth 5 each, but they limit you to 10 houses. In most games you end up with only 100 population, so thats half the size already, but what REALLY takes the biscuit, is most units thatare worth a damn take up 3-5 population EACH! so you usually end up with an army of only 20 myth units in size, as the myth units are simply unstoppable, ffs the gold colossus have 14000hp or so!! they can take on 20 standard infantry single handedly......... quite easily too, they can also eat your resources and heal themselves, at 1 resource per hit point, so a low hp colossus can eat an entire gold mine in 1 go nearly. So you lose the epic scale of warfare, and the tactics in the game, why work out a complex strategy when rushing with 20 colossus will win you the game almost every time? The population is too restriting to amass an army capable of killing 20 colossus without just building 20 yourself, which is quite simply, not fun.

Another big bummer in it i the trade carts, you can trade with yourself for feck sake, all you need to do is wall yourself in, and accumulate an infinate supply of gold and your set, you dont even need an ally to help you.

This game is a shame to the AoE series IMHO, as the sheer insane power of the myth units make the game very repetative, very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

That sounds like a pretty sensible, first hand experience review to me. I think ill go for AOE2 Conqueres then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Its the same in the other 2 in every way except the combat and population limit more or less. The population limit is horrale, there is a certain amount of points around the map where you can place town centres, each one adds 25 to your population limit, and house's are worth 5 each, but they limit you to 10 houses. In most games you end up with only 100 population, so thats half the size already, but what REALLY takes the biscuit, is most units thatare worth a damn take up 3-5 population EACH! so you usually end up with an army of only 20 myth units in size, as the myth units are simply unstoppable, ffs the gold colossus have 14000hp or so!! they can take on 20 standard infantry single handedly......... quite easily too, they can also eat your resources and heal themselves, at 1 resource per hit point, so a low hp colossus can eat an entire gold mine in 1 go nearly. So you lose the epic scale of warfare, and the tactics in the game, why work out a complex strategy when rushing with 20 colossus will win you the game almost every time? The population is too restriting to amass an army capable of killing 20 colossus without just building 20 yourself, which is quite simply, not fun.

Another big bummer in it i the trade carts, you can trade with yourself for feck sake, all you need to do is wall yourself in, and accumulate an infinate supply of gold and your set, you dont even need an ally to help you.

This game is a shame to the AoE series IMHO, as the sheer insane power of the myth units make the game very repetative, very quickly.

from what u have said it sounds like they wrecked it really! Having a big mad army is what i loved to do. i was cool seeing them all marching along and stuff and and then the big mad fights that u'd have. Thats to bad that it isn't as good as it should be have been:confused:

Advertisement