Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP2500 Barton -vs- XP2600 Thoroughbred

• 02-06-2003 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know the p4's are kicking ass at the moment, but i just cant afford one :P

The processors I am deciding between is an Athlon XP 2500+ w/ barton core cloked at 1.8 or so, and an Athlon XP2600+ clocked at a bit over 2 ghz w/ a Thoroughbred core.

Does anyone have any advice as to which is teh better option or a better processor for around the same price range.

I am also looking at this or this With a view to overclocking one of these processors. Is it overkill to go for such an expensive fan?, or should i get a beter processor instead , and if so which one. ALso, is there any real need for me to spalsh out on this?

I know its a lot of questions, but i have researched it a bit myself yet still am not sure as to what way to go. Ta in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

At default speeds, the XP2600+ would be faster, even the 2400+ puts up a good fight with the 2500+.

But on 3 XP2500+ I got all could get XP3200+ speeds, with a little increase in CPU voltage at 400MHz FSB. This was with a NF7-S v2 board. And with 512K level2 at that speed you are talking some sweet a@$ system, which puts up a good fight with the P4 3GHz.

3dmark01.png

This AMD one the NF7-S is running at 2100MHz and see how well it runs agains the P4s with the Radeon 9700 Pro.

Taken from Techseekers.net (here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Well, the barton core looks like a steal at that price!.

I have the 2600 333 version and its overclockability is impressive.

I have managed to have it running stable at 2.4 gig (with Air and a 300w PSU!) and it more than competes with the P4 3 gig.

I reckon it can do more, need a decent PSU to test it out tho.

oh and I still have not gotten the 400mhz FSB, due to PSU, so it can still do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

HardOCP got a few 2500s in and did some aircooling OC'ing on them, see what they got. Clock speeds don't tell the whole story though. The Barton will be faster, even if in numbers/clock speed it seems lower.

I have mine running at just under 2.7Ghz (w/Prometeia) and it's faster than my 2400 ever was.

Advertisement