Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networks now have to give you the unlocking code?

• 02-06-2003 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Is it true that due to a ruling by Comreg that locking phones is unfair to competion and that from July all phones must be unlocked?

I see Vodafone has dropped all references to network locking in their T&C's.

Does anyone know their policy regarding unlocking upgrade packs?

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I know Vodafone never locked their contract phones anyway just the RTG which is fair enough once of course they give you the code when you reach a certain amount of top ups. O2 and meteor lock all their phones contract or not which is pants as far I'm concerned the 12 contract for billed clients should be enough to ensure they recoup their subsidy without giving their customers crippled phones.

Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Redshift
    I know Vodafone never locked their contract phones anyway just the RTG which is fair enough once of course they give you the code when you reach a certain amount of top ups. O2 and meteor lock all their phones contract or not which is pants as far I'm concerned the 12 contract for billed clients should be enough to ensure they recoup their subsidy without giving their customers crippled phones.

Red

well i've had O2 bill fones for years, never gotten a locked fone from O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    well i've had O2 bill fones for years, never gotten a locked fone from O2.

Tis strange for sure my old man and my brother both have o2 contract phones which are locked or rather were locked;) as do several people I know. I dunno may they changed their policy on it. It was my understanding that they locked all their phones.

Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Tis strange for sure my old man and my brother both have o2 contract phones which are locked or rather were locked;) as do several people I know. I dunno may they changed their policy on it. It was my understanding that they locked all their phones.

Red

might be phone dealer? my fone is under a company deal at the moment so there is 18 fones or so now, none of them are locked(same case before it was a company deal...). I'd say about 60 or so fone's have gone through my hands in the last 4 or 5 years of O2/esat, all bill none locked.(i give/sell mine when done with em)

i dunno but...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Red

This happens when stock gets moved from prepaid to bill which is fairly rare... they will give uu the code straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I know Vodafone never locked their contract phones anyway
    Red

The vodaphone contract phones I got 2 years ago (3310) and a month ago (6610) are both locked. I'll give them a call about the 3310 I think, might as well have it unlocked.

Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

if they give you problems let me know and i will unlock it 4 ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

when youve spent over 200e or something on either a bill phone or a prepaid phone your service provider has to unlock your phone if you so demand it......having that said its a balls trying to get them to unlock your phone. Expect stupid questions and a long time spent on the phone talking to them. I found o2 were easier to deal with than vodaphone.......of course they were esat and eircell in dem days.........

Advertisement