Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security at point gigs?

• 02-06-2003 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

was wondering has anyone ever tried bringing a camera (just a standard crappy one - nothing hi tech) or a minidisc (to record the gig - but hide the microphone of course;)) into a gig in the point and if so have they ever taken it off you?

my friends going and he wants to record something - ive never tried it myself but i am sure someone else out there has

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

not really a good idea,
    lets just say you may not get prosecuted but all sort of accidents can ahppen when you are being mnahandled out of THAT place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I've got Nirvana at the point on DVD so some one must have got in with equipment before. It was shot from the left balcony. Nowadays there are security all along the balconies though so you'd be easily caught up there. A few pointers though.

1. They CAN NOT take the equipment of you legally if you willingly give up the tape.
    2. Take a blank tape with you and if you see them coming over do a bit of a swap with the one in the camera. That way you at least get what you've taped upto that point to take home with you.
    3. If there is an external mic jack on the camera use it as no matter what the big flashy box says built in mics are pure penis. I've heard that plugging a mic into the headphone jack achiveves pretty good results(Cuts out the huge bass levels that are usually floating around that cow shed that is known as the point ;) Dunno much about this though :| )
    4. I think your best bet gettin the stuff in is sewing and a bit of material to the bottom of a rucksack and stickin the stuff under it. If your going for the full set up (Dat recorder and multiple mics and sh!t) you'd be as well to have a few of you take different pieces in a few bags.

Dunno if this is what you were lookin for but anyway. I don't think the security in the Point are too bad if your not envolved in beating the crap outta people. Try and get into the pit and chance your arm with a tripod at the back of it, there's usually a good bit of space there :)

Dregin

EDIT: take a look here for some tips:

http://www.livenirvana.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9962

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 polemical

yea, it's well dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

i think cameras are ok ..like picture cameras......
    saw someone in there with a frippin video recorded @ the audioslave gig...

mini discs are dodgy though cuz they pat ya down and im sure if they saw/felt it,they'd kick ya out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

I know a fair bit bout recording gigs and have one friend with a lot of experience (and good equiptment). I've never recorded at the point, but he has. They are very tight on security there but it is possible. He attempted to record 2 nights that David Gray played last year and got one perfectly. The other time, security somehow spotted what was going on in the audience (I don't know how, the guy is a master at stealth) and pulled him out. They took his actual mindiscs and batteries (including ones from his battery pack, so they knew what to look for), but not the player, pre-amps or mic and let him go back after a 'stern' word.
    Basically, if you want a good chance of recording at the point, you'll have to go to quite a bit of effort. From personal experience, you won't enjoy the gig as much as to get a good recording you'll be concentrating on hiding what you're doing too much and switching stuff about discreetly. I could go into lengthy details of the best way to get stuff in but I don't think anyone will be going to that much effort.
    Of course you might just get lucky :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Inisfree:
    You or your friend wouldn't happen to know anything about a recording of Nirvana at the Top Hat in Dun Laoighre by any chance. Apparently there is one but it's not circulating(being traded out by anyone). Any help would be cool :)

Thanks
    Dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Originally posted by dregin-x
    Inisfree:
    You or your friend wouldn't happen to know anything about a recording of Nirvana at the Top Hat in Dun Laoighre by any chance. Apparently there is one but it's not circulating(being traded out by anyone). Any help would be cool :)

Thanks
    Dregin

I did some checking around and apparently this show is non-existant. If anybody has it there doing their darndest to keep it to themselves, sorry. Some people are like that. I know of someone who taped a show I was at, but has now disappeared off the face of the earth it seems. I could get you the Cork gig from the day before in Sir Henry's Pub, but that's probably no use to you.

By the way, while we're on this subject. For the love of God people, DO NOT buy those bootlegs they sell around town in Rhythym, MOJO etc. You're wasting your own money and encouraging them to sell more.
    Any show you see in a shop, you can for free quite easily. I almost laughed when I saw some U2 bootlegs in MOJO for 40 quid. (with home printed covers and everything!) I've a load of bootlegs I'm sure I could make quite a bit of money from if I offered them for sale to these places. The reason most bands ask for no recording is because of asshole's like these who make money from them. Others just know they can't hack it live ;) The bands who do allow personal recording stress the point of keeping the whole taping scene free.

Advertisement