Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win2k blue screen problem

• 02-06-2003 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Recently i've been getting blue screen errors when i'm online, it says "irq not less or equal" then gives a load of hex values

I'm using windows 2000 and as far as i know youll only get them if there's a serious hardware problem, I think it's the RAM

I have a few diagnostic tools but they require a floppy drive, which i do not have. Can anyone help?

The errors only occur when on java websites or playing games, if thats any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Google is your friend
    and if your still too lazy have a look here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

thanks for the help. i never thought of typing the error in google

google is by far the best place to find errors also try "enclosing the error in inverted commas"

from reading various sights, its most likely a problem with several devices on the one irq

my sound card, graphics card, modem and usb controller are all on irq 7, how do i set the irq? i've tried changing the modem and sound card to different slots but they are still on irq 7

i am not fully sure but try this if you go into device manager ->right click on the one you want to change->resousces it could tell you if its conflicting or not a give you an option to change it. some doeive allways use the same IRQ as other devices and dont conflect [cant remember which ones] if you move them around they should change irqs also have a look in the bios

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    from reading various sights, its most likely a problem with several devices on the one irq

my sound card, graphics card, modem and usb controller are all on irq 7, how do i set the irq? i've tried changing the modem and sound card to different slots but they are still on irq 7
    Are they all PCI cards? Shouldn't be a specific problem with that then - I've a soundcard, dxr3 and network card all on IRQ11.

the sound card and modem are pci, agp graphics, from when the errors occur its most likely a problem with the modem and sound card working at once, ive installed whql drivers for both, maybe it will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I got the same error after overclocking my AGP graphics card too far. It was only happening with very heavy graphic intensive games. Soon as I put it down a few notches everything was ok. Have you been doing any tweaking lately. Could be something similar?

it could be my ram, got it running at cl2 when its meant to be cl3, it could also be my modem which doesn't officially have win2k support so i'm using 3rd party drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'd put ram back to CL3 and try to recreate the problem. If still have it, take out modem and do same. Good chance its the ram not able to cope at CL2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I have this problem too.
    I only get it when i have my modem installed.
    It might not happen for days but eventually i get it.
    THe modem is a D-link usb modem and i downloadled xp drivers.
    The only answer might be to get a new modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

When you get IRQ errors... one rule of thumb is too look for IRQ conflicts.

/boggle.

Try removing all ancillary PCI cards, ISA cards and running your system with just agp and hard disks.

If in doubt turn off/on PnP on your motherboard's bios.

If in doubt... try sacrificing an animal or small child over your system.

works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I also got those when my hd was about do die.

Next time it happens right down the hex numbers and stick em into windows database.

Advertisement