Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp GX10

• 02-06-2003 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting one. Anyone here got one? I would like to hear what you think of them good and bad.

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I hate that bloody phone, dont buy it. Its over 8 months old at this stage so its going to be replaced soon enough!!! Stick with Nokia if you can, I have the Nokia 7650 and its a savage phone!! I know its big before u say it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i see both vodafone and meteor have pulled the 7650

Didnt see that myself, odly enough, my mate bought a 7650 from a Vodafone Retail store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

it's disappeared from both of their sites

Jaysus ya never know, I work in Tech Support for one of the "big two" and have not been told of any known issues. But sure ya never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

The 7650 is full of bugs, its like a feckin anthill!

I have a few phones at the moment but I mostly stick with Nokia's. They are quality on the whole.

Nokia 7250, 7210 and at the moment we have a nice little NGAGE to play with but it only came with one game, Pandemonium!

Watch out for that beauty except you look like such a twit trying to use it as a phone. Holding it sideward up to your head!

Emmo

The 7210 and 7250 are bot very lame, I was particularly disappointed by the screen quality of both and the camera quality of the 7250. The 6610 is the exact same and retails at as low as €99 in some stores, my sis bought one yesterday at this prive from Vodafone.

As for the 7650 being buggy, the thing is more of a PDA than a simple phone. I have one and have very little trouble with it. Add to this the ability to use it as a tv remote control or a video camera, and nothing really touches it at the moment. The 3650 and maybe the new P800 will solve that issue.

Mind you, one issue that may piss you off about the 7650, especially those with older software, is the problems you may encounter downloading java games. These probs should have been resolved with newer software.

Lets face it though, as phones become more advanced, the amount of software issues that arrise is going to increase. It all seems to have gone down hill from when the 3210 and 6210 were introduced. The ould 6610 and 5110 never had any probs at all!!!! Those were the days :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

The 7210 aint a Camera phone. Works fine with Java games and it has a nice weight/size ratio. Not to light, not to heavy.

Good for roaming all over the world! I am assured that it has an excellent set of stats on the acceptance test in terms of network performance.

Great battery life and the abality to download software onto the phone? Whats not to like?

The 7250 is very small and light for a camera phone, again it has all of the above and then it has a camera. I think they are great for what they do and when you get em for free whats to argue about?

Messed with the NGAGE yet?

Emmo

I know it ain't a cameria phone, well unless ya get the add on. When you view photos on it however, the screen quality is still crap!!! I did say the camera and screen quality of the 7250 was crap however. Very sexy phone otherwise, shame about the those two issues. It will be very hard to go back to such poor camera and screen quality after having the 7650 for so long!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    I am thinking of getting one. Anyone here got one? I would like to hear what you think of them good and bad.

out of the three Live! handsets Vodafone released it would be last on my list - it was pushed more than the other handsets as it was an exclusive to Vodafone - so it was the one used in all the adverts and the on-street demos (and talked up at the in-store demos I checked out)

the GX10 is now an end-of-line - a replacement has already been lauched on other Voda networks, the GX10i which adds in tri-band capability, and they say an improved camera and display

if i were you i'd hold off a bit - the first 3 Live! handsets are already old enough in mobile terms - and the likes of the Nokia 3650 / Sony Ericsson T610 / Sharp GX10i / Sagem myX-6 have been released as the next phase of Live! handsets in other terriroties - just bear in mind handset testing here takes longer than most other places

also worth bearing in mind you could also wait and move network when number portability is available (supposed to be after July) and keep your Voda number while looking for any good deals from the competition

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by DubWireless
    the GX10i which adds in tri-band capability, and they say an improved camera and display
    The screen is only slightly better on the GX-10i but wait 'till you see the GX-20.

The screen clarity of the GX-20 is incredible. It's a massive improvement over the GX-10. It has video capture w/ sound and an external colour display (20mm x 15mm). My personal favourite feature of the phone is the powerful light on the outside. It can emmit some pretty powerful white light onto a subject for photo's or video clips, I'm well impressed with Sharp on that one. The light can also emmit all the colours of the rainbow, even a weird Disco mode is present :) It retains the same form-factor as the GX-10 but it looks much nicer.

Unfortunately, Sharp are still producing it exclusively with Vodafone. This is bad because it's built to suit the operator rather than the customer e.g. there's no e-mail client, I assume Vodafone would like some MMS revenue :rolleyes:, the data software halves the sizes of the images from 480x640 to 240x320 when transfered to the PC for some bizzare reason, there's still no Bluetooth & it's plastered with Vodafone icons. Like the T610, there's about 6-7 ways to access Vodafone Live! :)

A really nice touch they added was the ability to use it's external colour screen as a preview screen when capturing pictures & video clips. i.e. what you see on-screen is what you get. But then again, it doesn't allow for e-mail or bluetoothing the video clips to the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Any Datasuite available for it? Connectivity - GX20

./Webmonkey

Right Fideles, any chance of telling me who ya work for by PM? I am curious, i am betting ya do the handset software testing for one of the big two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Fidelis
    The screen is only slightly better on the GX-10i but wait 'till you see the GX-20.

had a look at the GX20 at CeBIT and it was very impressive alright - the clarity was truly incredible - the images looked amazing - they also had a mini slide show running with graphs etc and they were perfectly ledgeable

unfortunately none of the English speaking assistants were available at the time, also mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut, so was kind of hard to get much info out of them!

what i did get was it uses their Continuous Grain Silicon technology which allows the required circuits to be built directly onto the substrate with the TFT to create what they call system-on-glass - it gives a speed increase over regular (polysilicon) TFTs, operates at lower temp and reduces the number of components required to build the display module

the first handset to use the CG Silicon display was on a JPhone Sha-mail model, the J-SH010 (by Sharp, hence the SH), which has a 2.4" screen with a 240x320 pixels and 260,000 colours - it also has the powerful light on the outside - the SH010 has many of the features of the GX20 so looks like we are catching up with the technology on offer Japanese models :) - although, with the specs of the Voda unit you outline it also looks like we are also getting the handset features fully specified by the operators :(

the other handset Sharp had was the GX15 (not a GX10i - so I'm wondering whether they have played with the model numbers since the show?) - the GX15 was a tri-band with a Transflective TFT - compared to the GX10's reflective TFT. There were no demo GX10i's around last week that I could take a look at (in the Voda stores in London) so couldn’t check out the screen first hand to check what type of display it was.

Tranflective allows the screen to maintain a better quality display under varying lighting conditions - it is back light (transmissive - good for darker indoor/office lighting) and also allows being lit from the front (reflective - good for brighter indoor/office and outdoor - it also reflects ambient light to help the display appear more vibrant without having to rely on the built-in light source).

what blew me away was their 3D displays (no glasses needed) - they had some proto-type 3D phone and PDAs set up with them - and they were pretty amazing, you had to be looking from a particular viewpoint - but it really worked on the artificial landscape fly-over they had playing on them!

Even with the amazing display of the GX20, if it is only released with an exclusivity deal to an operator, the imposed constraints would push the new Panasonic X70 above for me as it's announced specs include Bluetooth, it's display is still pretty good (65k, 132x176), and it has an email client.

thanks for the info, they couldn't answer (or my German didn't extend to work out!) if they were going to make the GX20 operator exclusive or release it to the open market

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i have a SharpGX10 i find it grand works good and all i have had no problems:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lectrosoul

My Advice is stick to nokia ive had loads of different nokias through the years more recently a 7650 for about a year and then for the last 5 months ive had a 3650 and i have to say its amazing as was the 7650

some people will always find fault with things and when i say 'oh look my phone can do video, take photos, turn on the tv!, and keep me up to speed on the net, they say 'its a bit big or that keypad looks stupid.. how studid or slow would u be if u had to carry around 5 things to do what one smart phone can do?? Symbian with series 60 (7650/3650) and series 70( se p800) phones are the way to go, sharp et all are just pretenders, this is only my opinion, but ive tested enough phones to think that im right... i hope!!

Now off to play with my new p800 Mmmm......perhaps SonyEricsson is coming close to Nokia with this one..!
    Respect..
    lEcTrOsOuL:ninja:

Advertisement